IGNORED

Shhhhh....it’s so quiet on here

DaveInSA

3 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Why? 

Why? Probably something quite similar as to why you yerself have not simply created a thread about Deano doing well (about something "good") and instead created one about other people not bothering to create any threads praising Deano for doing well and going missing on here (about something "bad").

We are all more preoccupied in our minds with what is, or might be, going wrong (the bad stuff) than what is going well (the good stuff). It's human nature.

And like Deano, we're only human, of flesh and blood we're made. Born to fixate on/make mistakes (and negative threads about gobshite, pint-sized, over-promising under-delivering, grass-measuring, box-entering, failing head coaches .....)

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Let's get a few more games under the collective belt..

Fixtures are; Swansea,, Bournemouth & Norwich in the space of eight days toward the end of this month.....

We can take a more realistic look then.

I’ve watched Norwich & Bournemouth on tv and tbh Norwich looked bang average against a poor Derby team and Bournemouth looked a decent team but nothing like the Leeds/WBA teams from last season

I think the likes of Blackburn & Swansea look fairly strong 

9 minutes ago, grifty said:

In what way was there a degree of luck (which is also not what he said).

Well, only an inspired goalkeeping performance saw us get three points yesterday. You could reasonably argue that Forest (and Coventry) dominated large spells of the game and were unlucky not to get at least a point. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Well, only an inspired goalkeeping performance saw us get three points yesterday. You could reasonably argue that Forest (and Coventry) dominated large spells of the game and were unlucky not to get at least a point. 

Is it lucky if one of your players wins you a game though?  Could argue either way on that one 

On another day we draw or lose yesterday but the wins against Stoke and SW were deserved. Didn't see Coventry so can't comment but sounds like we were all over the shop first half. 

Great start but can't get too excited for a couple of reasons: it's early doors. And it doesn't feel particularly real due to the current nonsense going on.

Guess there's more important things going on in the world right now...

And it's so early in the season....

And watching on tele isn't the same as being in the stadium. We're missing the usual "atmosphere was rubbish" thread and "parking nightmares"... I'm actually missing the normal complaints about stewards !

Kin ell, some right party poopers on here with all this "let's not get carried away", "it's only four games", "blah, blah, blah". 

#### that. 

In what has been the shittest year ever, what's wrong with getting carried away when your team is top of the league?

We're gonna piss it this year and go up as Champions with a Championship record points haul. 

YOOOOUUU REEEEEDDDDDSSSSS!!! 

2 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Kin ell, some right party poopers on here with all this "let's not get carried away", "it's only four games", "blah, blah, blah". 

#### that. 

In what has been the shittest year ever, what's wrong with getting carried away when your team is top of the league?

We're gonna piss it this year and go up as Champions with a Championship record points haul. 

Someone's had a liquid lunch

Just now, Sir Colby-Tit said:

#### that. 

It’s known as realism SCT............

A question of balance. Yep, we’re off to a great start, yep we’re joint top of the league, yep there’s still a long to go, yep some fans are getting carried away...............:cool2:

Yep, this place will go into shock when City lose a game and yep that will undoubtedly happen and no City are not strong enough to become the first Championship invincibles

Over the season Im sure we will have games where we are dominant but an inspired opposition keeper, a bad refereeing decision or bad luck will go against us a cost us the game.

DH commented that the mentality of the players was tested yesterday and that’s an important point. I suspect that had LJ still been in charge then once Forest scored and ramped up the pressure we would have caved in, probably aided by questionable substitutions.

Perhaps it is the case that the players have confidence in the head coach, are fully onboard with his tactics and the way he wants us to play and that as a result are more resilient and tougher to beat and this in turn means we are creating more of our own luck.

28 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

No, two well crafted goals saw us get three points. A good goalkeeping performance kept them. Not sure what the luck is in that? We weren't given a questionable penalty, we weren't facing 10 men. You can just say we've played well in 3 games and worked hard to get 3 points in them, it won't hurt you.

They can dominate as much as they want, they didn't win and dominating games doesn't give you points.

What about the Sheff Wed game did we fluke a win?

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s known as realism SCT............

A question of balance. Yep, we’re off to a great start, yep we’re joint top of the league, yep there’s still a long to go, yep some fans are getting carried away...............:cool2:

Yep, this place will go into shock when City lose a game and yep that will undoubtedly happen and no City are not strong enough to become the first Championship invincibles

I'm pretty sure we're top, not joint top, on goals scored? 

4 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Why? 

Where have all the haters and doubters gone?

Is everyone still hungover after four wins from four?

Why aren’t there 537 threads about Delano being the best head coach since Lee Johnson?

COME ON.

Let’s celebrate ?!!!

Because we’re Bristol City and this might be as good as it gets!

Parklife!

4 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Why aren’t there 537 threads about Delano being the best head coach since Lee Johnson....

Because we (as in this forum) have been told COUNTLESS times that Pembo is the best coach.

Surely you remember that fortnight after he left when it turned out half the posters in OTIB had clear, first hand experience of being trained by him, coached by him and managed by him.

Some people here must have the most interesting jobs.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Is it lucky if one of your players wins you a game though?  Could argue either way on that one 

Yes, and in the past we’ve possibly had too many 6/10 performances and been done by an opposition team who had one 9/10.  We’ve often said we have a team...but lacking star quality to turn 1 point into 3 for example.

Yesterday we got a 10/10.

Believe it or not, I think he only made 5 saves yesterday (Mighten header, Arter volley edge of box, Christie long ranger, Colback close ranger after he fouled Mawson, and Lyle Taylor when Mawson slipped).  They just happened to be really good saves.  We did block 7 though.  You could say they didn’t work the keeper enough!

So Bentley 6 shots to save - let 1 in (how terrible ???)

Samba 6 shots to save - let 2 in

Funny old game.

2 hours ago, GTFABM said:

Put your tin hat on bro, this is not going to go well for you.

I've got my big boy pants on. I'm quite happy to face the music and dance. 

The thing is, I love my club and will support it through thick and thin. I've been going to the Gate for almost 30 years. 

I didn't want Holden before the appointment and was sceptical about his chances afterwards. I am delighted at how we've started and am over the moon to be proved wrong after every match. The one thing that's pissing me off is the posters who think they are oh so clever by trying to score points over people like myself. I honestly can't recall a single poster on here who championed Holden as the right person for the job in the first few weeks after LJs dismissal. All of a sudden we seem to have dozens of posters who knew it was the right appointment all along. 

Why can't we all just enjoy the success we are having without the one up manship? I'm really glad things have turned out the way they have so far because I can't imagine how toxic it would have been had our results been similar to Forests. 

Long may Dean's success continue. 

COYR

10 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

The thing is, I love my club and will support it through thick and thin. I've been going to the Gate for almost 30 years. 

I didn't want Holden before the appointment and was sceptical about his chances afterwards. I am delighted at how we've started and am over the moon to be proved wrong after every match. The one thing that's pissing me off is the posters who think they are oh so clever by trying to score points over people like myself. I honestly can't recall a single poster on here who championed Holden as the right person for the job in the first few weeks after LJs dismissal. All of a sudden we seem to have dozens of posters who knew it was the right appointment all along. 

Why can't we all just enjoy the success we are having without the one up manship? I'm really glad things have turned out the way they have so far because I can't imagine how toxic it would have been had our results been similar to Forests. 

COYR

I did!

But it was littered with sarcasm.

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

COYR

Agree to an extent, it’s not about point scoring.

I didn’t think Holden had a chance of the job when I started hearing of Hughton and Cook etc being in the frame.

But what I said constantly during his caretaker reign was that I thought there were lots of positives in what he did.  To me it felt hugely different to LJ...and I’d had enough of LJ by the time he went (overall he did a decent job here).  It felt different in terms of approach, system (obviously), selection policy....and in the main the numbers beneath it backed it up.  What we can see is man-management, team spirit, etc.

The majority of people on here saw it as 5 dead rubbers, no different to LJ, same old failings.  I felt strongly enough that it wasn’t, I wrote a 15 page document over the close-season titled “Holdenball”.  I wrote a lot of it before he was announced....as I wanted to use it as a basis to compare to whoever got appointed.  As above I didn’t expect Dean to get it.

But when Gregor first reported he was really in the running, I was probably able to move on from expectations of Hughton and Cook, quicker than most - probably because I’d spent a fair bit of time analysing his 5 games.  That doesn’t make me right, it doesn’t make me a better judge (because it’s bloody early days)....it’s just that I was able to move on quicker to the reality of him getting the gig.  Others have wanted to wait until seeing him in charge “properly”.  That’s totally understandable too, especially with the mythical new manager bounce.  People were right to reserve judgment.

And just like our opinions of players, it’s best not to make knee-jerk evaluations.  But neither is it wrong to watch, evaluate, watch more, re-evaluate and change your opinion.

Players don’t play the same every week, and I know managers have spells of being good and bad.

Its a positive start....nobody is right or wrong....it’s OTIB, it’s about opinions.

@Davefevs I don't disagree with anything you've posted above. As always, you have written eloquently what most of us should have thought at the time but, as you said, from a mainly knee jerk response didn't.

My problem is definitely not with the likes of yourself and other OTIB posters who can explain rationaly how their thoughts on Holden changed or, as in myself, admit they were almost certainly wrong in their thoughts to begin with.

My problem is with the likes of the OP, and this isn't the first thread of this kind where we are treated to a post from a hindsight expert who clearly wants to jump on the good feeling bandwagon and pretend that the majority of fan fears and disappointment regarding Holden wasn't at least valid at the time. 

While I know there are people on here who would hang a bedsheet outside the Chairman's office If our home shirt was a slightly different shade of red, every one on here wants to see our club succeed. Posting "super fan" threads purely aimed at getting up people's noses is neither welcome or helpful when we've made a great start to the season. 

Archived