IGNORED

Shhhhh....it’s so quiet on here

DaveInSA

If I'm perfectly honest, despite a perfect start the reason I'm not celebrating is because it's still only four games into the season.

Let's not pretend that we haven't been here before, with Bristol City flying high in the table, even going into Christmas, before everything went tits up.

Deep down, I think Dean Holden is thinking the same - after all he's been witness to this decline under LJ in the latter half of some seasons. He'll want to stay focused on performances, and ensure that there is no complacency.

We like to say "give it ten games" when things are going badly, but I think we should do the same when they're going well. Early signs suggest that we're definitely not in for a relegation battle this year, but I think that we need to be sure that the WHOLE squad can keep this going, and ensure that things don't dip if one player is injured or out of form. IMO, this is where LJ went wrong, and his tactic was to just keep mixing things up to maintain an average consistency. Holden has done well so far, but I want to see how we rest weary legs, how we introduce players into the system, and how we recover from poor games before I start spamming "HMS Piss The League" memes all over Twitter.

5 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

If I'm perfectly honest, despite a perfect start the reason I'm not celebrating is because it's still only four games into the season.

Let's not pretend that we haven't been here before, with Bristol City flying high in the table, even going into Christmas, before everything went tits up.

Deep down, I think Dean Holden is thinking the same - after all he's been witness to this decline under LJ in the latter half of some seasons. He'll want to stay focused on performances, and ensure that there is no complacency.

We like to say "give it ten games" when things are going badly, but I think we should do the same when they're going well. Early signs suggest that we're definitely not in for a relegation battle this year, but I think that we need to be sure that the WHOLE squad can keep this going, and ensure that things don't dip if one player is injured or out of form. IMO, this is where LJ went wrong, and his tactic was to just keep mixing things up to maintain an average consistency. Holden has done well so far, but I want to see how we rest weary legs, how we introduce players into the system, and how we recover from poor games before I start spamming "HMS Piss The League" memes all over Twitter.

Absolutely nothing to celebrate at this point.

On paper, we haven’t played our best eleven either....you could easily argue - Kalas, Williams and Dasilva are first choice.  Others are more subjective.

Lots of challenges ahead.

5 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

I've got my big boy pants on. I'm quite happy to face the music and dance. 

The thing is, I love my club and will support it through thick and thin. I've been going to the Gate for almost 30 years. 

I didn't want Holden before the appointment and was sceptical about his chances afterwards. I am delighted at how we've started and am over the moon to be proved wrong after every match. The one thing that's pissing me off is the posters who think they are oh so clever by trying to score points over people like myself. I honestly can't recall a single poster on here who championed Holden as the right person for the job in the first few weeks after LJs dismissal. All of a sudden we seem to have dozens of posters who knew it was the right appointment all along. 

Why can't we all just enjoy the success we are having without the one up manship? I'm really glad things have turned out the way they have so far because I can't imagine how toxic it would have been had our results been similar to Forests. 

Long may Dean's success continue. 

COYR

It’s perfectly OK to criticise those who had the knives out for the board, without having been yourself convinced about DH’s appointment. I was dubious and was attracted by the possibility of Hughton. But I didn’t launch into angry attacks on the decision makers. I’m always amazed that so many fans think so highly of their own judgement to do this, to be honest. Why not wait and see?

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree to an extent, it’s not about point scoring.

I didn’t think Holden had a chance of the job when I started hearing of Hughton and Cook etc being in the frame.

But what I said constantly during his caretaker reign was that I thought there were lots of positives in what he did.  To me it felt hugely different to LJ...and I’d had enough of LJ by the time he went (overall he did a decent job here).  It felt different in terms of approach, system (obviously), selection policy....and in the main the numbers beneath it backed it up.  What we can see is man-management, team spirit, etc.

The majority of people on here saw it as 5 dead rubbers, no different to LJ, same old failings.  I felt strongly enough that it wasn’t, I wrote a 15 page document over the close-season titled “Holdenball”.  I wrote a lot of it before he was announced....as I wanted to use it as a basis to compare to whoever got appointed.  As above I didn’t expect Dean to get it.

But when Gregor first reported he was really in the running, I was probably able to move on from expectations of Hughton and Cook, quicker than most - probably because I’d spent a fair bit of time analysing his 5 games.  That doesn’t make me right, it doesn’t make me a better judge (because it’s bloody early days)....it’s just that I was able to move on quicker to the reality of him getting the gig.  Others have wanted to wait until seeing him in charge “properly”.  That’s totally understandable too, especially with the mythical new manager bounce.  People were right to reserve judgment.

And just like our opinions of players, it’s best not to make knee-jerk evaluations.  But neither is it wrong to watch, evaluate, watch more, re-evaluate and change your opinion.

Players don’t play the same every week, and I know managers have spells of being good and bad.

Its a positive start....nobody is right or wrong....it’s OTIB, it’s about opinions.

10 hours ago, EnderMB said:

There are fans at either end of the spectrum.

At one end are those that, while things were going awry during the last year of LJ’s reign, used that as a stick with which to beat almost every part of the club’s structure - from head coach, to MA to SL. Theses fans were even more “agitated” when, after their increased expectation of a high profile manager appointment i.e. Houghton, we ended up with Holden, which they saw as further evidence of SL wanting a cheap option and yes man.

At the the other end are those that are now perhaps gloating at the  first group in that it appears that the choice of Holden has been vindicated, although I suspect that few, if any, in this group had earmarked Holden as their choice prior to his appointment.

In the middle sit the majority, who recognise that not everything at the club has been, or ever will be perfect, but that, on balance, we are more than lucky to have someone like SL at the helm and that he wants the best for the club and for it to be as successful as possible. I suspect many in the group were a little surprised by Holden’s appoint, especially bearing in mind the apparent quality of applicants under consideration, but are currently more than pleasant surprised by hoe things are going .

However, as enderMB says, I also suspect that most of this majority have their feet on the ground, recognise that it is early days in the season and a a lot can change very quickly and especially those who have been fans for some time and have seen many false dawns before. I also think that many of the majority are a bit longer the tooth so perhaps less prone to the hyperbole that social media spawns in a younger generation where everything thing is either crap or fantastic.

12 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

@Davefevs I don't disagree with anything you've posted above. As always, you have written eloquently what most of us should have thought at the time but, as you said, from a mainly knee jerk response didn't.

My problem is definitely not with the likes of yourself and other OTIB posters who can explain rationaly how their thoughts on Holden changed or, as in myself, admit they were almost certainly wrong in their thoughts to begin with.

My problem is with the likes of the OP, and this isn't the first thread of this kind where we are treated to a post from a hindsight expert who clearly wants to jump on the good feeling bandwagon and pretend that the majority of fan fears and disappointment regarding Holden wasn't at least valid at the time. 

While I know there are people on here who would hang a bedsheet outside the Chairman's office If our home shirt was a slightly different shade of red, every one on here wants to see our club succeed. Posting "super fan" threads purely aimed at getting up people's noses is neither welcome or helpful when we've made a great start to the season. 

Exactly - If there were people on here who genuinely had Holden as their number 1 choice and were spelling out reasons why he should get the gig ahead of the curve, then well done them - great call (albeit early days).

The issue is I don't think anyone did. You just have the usual select few who kept their powder dry on the off-chance that Holden surprised everyone so they could score points. It's such a strange mentality.

21 hours ago, Chivs said:

I have to say it is getting quite annoying now as I've had the bedsheet crayoned in with "Deano out" for some time now.  Still stuck in the attic...

Seriously, I don't think people can get too excited yet.  It's the perfect start (and that is exciting) but it's only 4 games against (currently) lower half teams.

If we are near the same position come 1st November, then it really will be time to get excited.

Bold as well as italics. Controversial

11 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

You only have to read the matchday threads to realise that it will take no more than 2 games without a win for the narrative on here to change completely.

That many? :whistle:

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly - If there were people on here who genuinely had Holden as their number 1 choice and were spelling out reasons why he should get the gig ahead of the curve, then well done them - great call (albeit early days).

The issue is I don't think anyone did. You just have the usual select few who kept their powder dry on the off-chance that Holden surprised everyone so they could score points. It's such a strange mentality.

In his defence Jon Dolman did, he championed him since the Middlesborough game. 

4 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Im carried away that we won 4 out of 4 games. Early days bur we airedy got 12 points. We will lose games but think we got a calm and a plan in our way of playing. Dont seen that for a very long time. Holden and the staf making a very god work.

It is indeed God's work to get us to the top of the league.

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, and in the past we’ve possibly had too many 6/10 performances and been done by an opposition team who had one 9/10.  We’ve often said we have a team...but lacking star quality to turn 1 point into 3 for example.

Yesterday we got a 10/10.

Believe it or not, I think he only made 5 saves yesterday (Mighten header, Arter volley edge of box, Christie long ranger, Colback close ranger after he fouled Mawson, and Lyle Taylor when Mawson slipped).  They just happened to be really good saves.  We did block 7 though.  You could say they didn’t work the keeper enough!

So Bentley 6 shots to save - let 1 in (how terrible ???)

Samba 6 shots to save - let 2 in

Funny old game.

I agree. There is a lot being made of Bentleys performance and rightly so. But Samba was lucky that Martins header hit him rather than him saving it. His save from Antoine was also very good 

13 minutes ago, City exile 79 said:

Samba was lucky

Really, or did his natural skills and years of experience mean he was standing in the right place at the right time, or was it that Martin's header simply wasn't good enough?

Luck is such a funny thing.  Most examples of luck (good or bad) are actually about performance.

If you had commented that Martin was unlucky not to score, my response would be that if he had performed better with the header he would have done.

9 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Really, or did his natural skills and years of experience mean he was standing in the right place at the right time, or was it that Martin's header simply wasn't good enough?

Luck is such a funny thing.  Most examples of luck (good or bad) are actually about performance.

Yep, as the quote goes "The more I practice, the luckier I get".

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Yep, as the quote goes "The more I practice, the luckier I get".

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lee Trevino

No, Rudolph Hucker.

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Well I said it would be up to a team to grab things and run with it. Wasnt expecting it to be us, but then got a load of pelters for even suggesting this. Can i just turn smug mode to permanently on. Asking for a friend?

Wait, you want to be smug because you predicted any team (not necessarily us) would do well?

Astonishing clairvoyance. Got the lottery numbers too mate?

12 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Shame that that post seems to some way have angered you some what. I said we had a good squad and a good manager  and we could do it and like countless billions of times before no one listens

Does your post require some treatment for being wounded? Asking for a friend

Eh?

Archived