IGNORED

New follower - Get me started

West

2 hours ago, West said:

Hey, so I've lived in bristol my whole life but I've never followed a local team. Always just watched the Prem.

I've decided to finally support one of my local teams, and seeing as my girlfriends Dad is a big City fan, I'm opting for them over Rovers.

I'm looking for enough information or sources to get me started. What formations do you normally play, who are the players to look out for etc.

I'm looking at getting a season ticket next year (Covid permitting).

Thanks in advance!

https://www.bcfc.co.uk

https://twitter.com/BristolCity

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_5VYwAoOvaL4lyGkwoboQ

don't use the facebook group...

We play 3-5-2 like this at the minute.

GK

RCB                 CB                LCB

RWB                          CDM                     LWB

CM                          CM

ST               ST

Chris Martin is the player you should watch if you like Teddy Sheringham, he's an intelligent older striker and the leagues current assist leader.

You should watch our youtube highlights of the previous games, watch the games on the main website and genuinely if you know people who are into it, talk to them about this stuff. Nothing helps you learn more than engaging with people who have an interest in person.

We have two podcasts I'm aware of.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209131-superspreader-of-the-week/&tab=comments#comment-3914782 run by @Shtanley

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209114-deano-deano-dano-dano-fbc-podcast-recording-of-todays-live-show/&tab=comments#comment-3914598 run by @headhunter

Your local station is Radio Bristol https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_bristol There's a Bristol City dedicated show on Mondays at 6PM.

Your local toilet paper that's now online is https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/all-about/bristol-city-fc but if you just follow the only journalist that seems to cover the club https://twitter.com/GeeMacGee there's no reason to go there.

Welcome. If you like hygiene, and like dogs but don't REALLY REALLY REALLY like them to the point the police might have to get involved, you have chosen the correct team in Bristol to support.

3 hours ago, West said:

Hey, so I've lived in bristol my whole life but I've never followed a local team. Always just watched the Prem.

I've decided to finally support one of my local teams, and seeing as my girlfriends Dad is a big City fan, I'm opting for them over Rovers.

I'm looking for enough information or sources to get me started. What formations do you normally play, who are the players to look out for etc.

Thanks in advance!

It’s not usually this good, I hope you enjoy a drink as for the majority of my lifetime I’ve needed a good 10 pints pre match to stomach watching some of the shit we’ve served up. 

But for now, it’s okay. When we’re not in grounds, typically.

3 hours ago, West said:

Thanks in advance!

It’s not usually this good, I hope you enjoy a drink as for the majority of my lifetime I’ve needed a good 10 pints pre match to stomach watching some of the shit we’ve served up. 

5 hours ago, West said:

Thanks in advance!

Truth be told you are giving up on the Gas or your girl friend is leaving you? 

5 hours ago, West said:

As a young kid I was a Teddy Sheringham fan and therefore a Millwall fan. The lack of football influence growing up meant that I just defaulted to the team on tv, as I'm sure many others did.

I went to school in North bristol so most of my friends back then were gas heads. Went to a Rovers game with my grandad when I was young but remember some bloke kicking off so it always put me off.

I think I'm on about 20 now, 95 is impressive!

Helped you out there! You are welcome! 

9 hours ago, West said:

Thanks in advance!

Don't panic mate, I'm sure the 7-2 defeat was just a bad day at the office

To understand City it’s useful to read the forum on a regular basis, but there are certain paradigms that are not always obvious. For example @Robbored sometimes (often?) gets some flack but he’s really loved by all. A bit like the pantomime dame at Christmas. @Never to the dark side often starts threads that may seem to be obscure but they always contain information you didn’t know you needed until he told you. The transfer forum is a good read leading up to a transfer window as there are always quite a few fantasists who claim they are ITK with the latest news but really know nothing 

As for food and drink, there is a lot of talk about drinking Cider. Don’t believe a word of this. If you want to impress a true City supporter, when asked if you’d like a drink just reply “I’d love a Babycham”. For food, stick to cod lots and Clarks pies. 

Finally, never forget Unan 

11 hours ago, West said:

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to OTIB.

Following City is full of ups and downs, mostly downs, but we rarely have a dull season.

I make it about 10 years now since we weren't fighting either for promotion/playoff spots or relegation safety as the end of the season drew near.

9 hours ago, West said:

As a young kid I was a Teddy Sheringham fan and therefore a United fan. The lack of football influence growing up meant that I just defaulted to the team on tv, as I'm sure many others did.

I went to school in North bristol so most of my friends back then were gas heads. Went to a Rovers game with my grandad when I was young but remember some bloke kicking off so it always put me off.

I think I'm on about 20 now, 95 is impressive!

Every game starts like that. Are you sure football is the sport for you? Although I must admit, Rovers do kick off more than most.

12 hours ago, West said:

Thanks in advance!

Welcome mate. I’m fairly new to OTIB myself well at least for a couple of years any way. I have been a City supporter since I could walk, my kids and grand kids in OZ are also City supporters. My grand son is a keen motor cross rider at nine years old and always where a City shirt when competing over his safety gear.

one thing you need to remember is be respectable to all others even though their posts might be sh%%#t most of the time. Especially mine on the weekends when I have drank too much of the amber fluid and then the red wine.

welcome 

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

To understand City it’s useful to read the forum on a regular basis, but there are certain paradigms that are not always obvious. For example @Robbored sometimes (often?) gets some flack but he’s really loved by all. Debatable !

A bit like the pantomime dame at Christmas. @Never to the dark side often starts threads that may seem to be obscure but they always contain information you didn’t know you needed until he told you. Possibly

The transfer forum is a good read leading up to a transfer window as there are always quite a few fantasists who claim they are ITK with the latest news but really know nothing Absolutely

As for food and drink, there is a lot of talk about drinking Cider. Don’t believe a word of this. If you want to impress a true City supporter, when asked if you’d like a drink just reply “I’d love a Babycham”. Questionable

For food, stick to cod lots and Clarks pies. Unquestionable 

Finally, never forget Unan  Indubitably

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Following City is full of ups and downs, mostly downs, but we rarely have a dull season.

The more things change, the more things stay the same. When I started going we were in Div 2 (Championship) , Manager Alan Dicks was in his first managerial role (Holden), we had a team of young talent coming through from the ressies (academy) . So looking at it in that respect not much has changed, but a hell of a lot has gone on during that time and looking back, I loved most of it.

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The more things change, the more things stay the same. When I started going we were in Div 2 (Championship) , Manager Alan Dicks was in his first managerial role (Holden), we had a team of young talent coming through from the ressies (academy) . So looking at it in that respect not much has changed, but a hell of a lot has gone on during that time and looking back, I loved most of it.

The more "lows" you have to suffer, the greater the "highs" feel

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

'Tis true. My formative teenage years were spent following City, home and away, as we descended from the First to the Fourth in successive seasons. Since that time I have watched City play at some 86 league grounds (which includes several newly built stadia) and visited places I would never have thought of travelling to otherwise. The thought of being back where I started that journey, nearly 45 years ago, is very exciting. Marvellous.

14 hours ago, West said:

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the club.  Best bit of advice I could give if you want to know how we currently play is to not look at social media (including here really), because you'll see we were amazingly brilliant and dreadful at the weekend and Dean Holden should be knighted, but then also sacked because he shouldn't have been appointed.  Andi Weimann needs to play and be dropped because he's useless and the hardest worker in the squad.....It's all about opinions, and typically they're all over the place.

Best thing you can do is buy a stream for the matches for the rest of the year and make your own mind up.  

All I can say is.....I'm glad my great grandfather took my grandad to a City match 85 years ago instead of a R*vers one!

21 hours ago, bengalcub said:

West your in for a treat ,

Now get down the gate and buy your new home shirt ....   

Oh hang on  wait a minute  ?

Haha, I'll be honest, i think that having seen the goalkeeper kit, I'll get one of those ?

20 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

My reason for following a local team isn't for the winning, its for the whole experience. Nothing quite like a match day. I've seen far too many Yeovil Town games to think Championship football is bad haha

7 hours ago, RidgeRed said:

Are you just after the food vouchers? 

11 hours ago, Homer Simpson said:

Every game starts like that. Are you sure football is the sport for you? Although I must admit, Rovers do kick off more than most.

Haha, quite happy for it kicking off now I'm not a young kid. This particular incident was between home fans. It was a friendly game against QPR as well ?

20 hours ago, Prinny said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk

https://twitter.com/BristolCity

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_5VYwAoOvaL4lyGkwoboQ

don't use the facebook group...

We play 3-5-2 like this at the minute.

GK

RCB                 CB                LCB

RWB                          CDM                     LWB

CM                          CM

ST               ST

Chris Martin is the player you should watch if you like Teddy Sheringham, he's an intelligent older striker and the leagues current assist leader.

You should watch our youtube highlights of the previous games, watch the games on the main website and genuinely if you know people who are into it, talk to them about this stuff. Nothing helps you learn more than engaging with people who have an interest in person.

We have two podcasts I'm aware of.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209131-superspreader-of-the-week/&tab=comments#comment-3914782 run by @Shtanley

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209114-deano-deano-dano-dano-fbc-podcast-recording-of-todays-live-show/&tab=comments#comment-3914598 run by @headhunter

Your local station is Radio Bristol https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_bristol There's a Bristol City dedicated show on Mondays at 6PM.

Your local toilet paper that's now online is https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/all-about/bristol-city-fc but if you just follow the only journalist that seems to cover the club https://twitter.com/GeeMacGee there's no reason to go there.

Welcome. If you like hygiene, and like dogs but don't REALLY REALLY REALLY like them to the point the police might have to get involved, you have chosen the correct team in Bristol to support.

Really helpful, thanks. Gonna start with the YouTube highlights tonight. 

Recently got a dog myself, no regrets. Have you come across lots of hygiene issues previously? ?

36 minutes ago, West said:

My reason for following a local team isn't for the winning, its for the whole experience. Nothing quite like a match day. I've seen far too many Yeovil Town games to think Championship football is bad haha

Welcome back to the forum Lee, yes, the system is very different these days.  Football doesn’t stop for no man.

???

On 04/10/2020 at 21:48, West said:

I'm looking for enough information or sources to get me started.........

Have you met the girlfriends Dad yet?

If he's such a big City fan he should have enough information to get you started.

Does he post on here?  If so  would his name be Robbo by any chance?

Or maybe he's Swedish? 

Tell us about him, we're interested.  ?

On 05/10/2020 at 04:48, West said:

Thanks in advance!

You sure your not trying to get in your girlfriends dads good books for any reason ? Did he catch you ??

Archived