IGNORED

Baker contract

Atticus

Am I right in thinking Baker's contract runs out in the summer?

If so how come we haven't heard either, anything of a potential new contract or us trying to sell him? Or is it a case of we are happy to wind his contract down? I know he is currently injured for a while, but then it would make sense to tie him for another year no? Cus I think he is worth more then Zero.

I get he is injured often, but he helped win us alot of points last season, was quality at times.

Will be on high wages, if you extend then if there's no interest you've got to pay him for another year. Think he'll leave at the end of the season, if you could guarantee he could play 40+ 90 mins then he probably would have had another contract a while ago.

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

If so how come we haven't heard either, anything of a potential new contract or us trying to sell him? Or is it a case of we are happy to wind his contract down? I know he is currently injured for a while, but then it would make sense to tie him for another year no? Cus I think he is worth more then Zero.

I get he is injured often, but he helped win us alot of points last season, was quality at times.

He’s not injured often, though I’m not getting into that again!

No one is going to buy him right now and contract extension may depend on the form of Moore/Vyner going into January. If they stay fit and in form then we may look to offload

Think the injury is a very good reason to do nothing at present.

He is a top six earner (much higher than that when he joined) & we can afford to wait in a Covid influenced market because his chances of getting this sort of deal elsewhere are pretty much zero.

No one is going to buy a player out injured for so long at present, so January will be the crunch time.

My hunch is that we will make him a two year offer then on reduced terms.

I'll rehash what I've said before...

I would let Baker leave at the end of the season. 

If people weren't already convinced that that his body isn't robust enough, after a bad hamstring injury they certainly should be.

He's been a very good servant, worth the high wage, but imo won't be worth that wage going forward. 

He'll also be our 2nd choice LCB. If we didn't have Mawson, I'd keep Baker for that experience and spirit, but not now.

I'd sign a younger left footed centre-back; a ball-playing defender who would fit the system much better and would be willing to bide his time.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We need centre backs who are good on the ball. All of our current ones are bar Baker.  Sell in January to get money for him and help fund a permanent move for Mawson. 

Who would be a player OOC in 6 months who's been injured for 6 months? 

I would guess they will offer him something on the off chance he regains some of the form that prompted the club to sign him after his loan spell.

But that offer is likely to be based on his perceived value today, not what the club thought he was worth when we got him from Villa.

On that basis, I would guess he'll move on, rather than staying here and getting a third of what he has been earning.

I think it is a lot like Smith last season. He can potentially contribute a lot once fit and there is no point selling because the money we would get him would not be massive and we might end up still paying a chunk of his wages.

I reckon he'll stay to the summer, get some games in the second half of the season, and leave with the club's good wishes at the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Wages or what. Any player out of the squad that didn’t play against forest and yes put em for sale and lets see what offers we get. The weekend match made me proud and the commitment by every player wearing purple were a team that were committed and supported each other. This is something we have not seen for a while. 
Let the players continue fighting for a spot.

34 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We need centre backs who are good on the ball. All of our current ones are bar Baker.  Sell in January to get money for him and help fund a permanent move for Mawson. 

I cant see that in this day and age, mawson on a perm can be an option for us unless we are promoted. To be fair though, id never have guessed we could get him on loan either? I think baker will end up leaving at the end of his contract, with moore and vyner both coming through and presumably on less money, thats the way to go

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I cant see that in this day and age, mawson on a perm can be an option for us unless we are promoted. To be fair though, id never have guessed we could get him on loan either? I think baker will end up leaving at the end of his contract, with moore and vyner both coming through and presumably on less money, thats the way to go

People said we couldn’t get Kalas as well

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

People said we couldn’t get Kalas as well

Wed just sold webster for huge money, and mawson has recently cost fulham 20 million. They wont want to sell him for 8 or so, and as it stands, we dont have anyone i can see leaving for 20 million to cover it.... and even if we did, we havent had fans in the stadium for 9 months, that money would need to be kept aside to run the club

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Sure someone would buy him for £500k.  That’s better than zero 

No chance, look at the market, the only clubs at our level buying players have sold one to either The Prem or Bundesliga.

No one is going to pay him £17k a week knowing he can’t play before Xmas at the earliest.

There are still plenty of players that played in The Championship last season (Gunter, Shotton, Irvine, Stewart) without clubs at all.

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Sure someone would buy him for £500k.  That’s better than zero 

This, I'm sure clubs would sign him in Jan to boost their survival/promotion hopes, I'd think someone would be willing to take a risk with him as he's a decent championship defender when fit.

Would be better to get something for him and put that money towards a replacement.

10 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

This, I'm sure clubs would sign him in Jan to boost their survival/promotion hopes, I'd think someone would be willing to take a risk with him as he's a decent championship defender when fit.

Would be better to get something for him and put that money towards a replacement.

On loan, paying % of his wages perhaps. But no one would fork out money for him with his injury issues, high wages and lack of fitness. 

Best we can hope is we save £10k a week in wages if we loaned him, although personally I'd rather just keep him because you won't get a better replacement for £7k a week (if he is on £17k for example).

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No chance, look at the market, the only clubs at our level buying players have sold one to either The Prem or Bundesliga.

No one is going to pay him £17k a week knowing he can’t play before Xmas at the earliest.

There are still plenty of players that played in The Championship last season (Gunter, Shotton, Irvine, Stewart) without clubs at all.

I meant sell him in January as it was a reply to another post.  

12 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

Signing a player on that money for a relegation battle would be a huge gamble, when a team in that scenario could go down and are lumbered with a player on decent money (even if he takes a 50% cut for relegation that would still be substantially more than L1 players).

I think if a team that was expected to be in a relegation scrap comes out as a mid table finisher they are likely to pick him up for free at the end of the year - he proved on loan that his experience can be worth as much as his ability in some games to a relatively inexperienced team at this level.

Don't think anyone has anything to gain trying to orchestrate a move now or in January (except maybe the agent - even then he's probably looking at a decent signing on bonus as a free agent). I wouldn't expect us to extend and wouldn't be too disappointed, regardless of ours or his season.

A good pro who will give his all and we can expect that from him for this season - I just think moving on in 2021 would be best for his career too.

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Don't think he should be offered a new contract, too many injuries, hardly any game time last season 

Lots of dynamics to this one, most covered in the posts above.

I think it will be a “wait and see” in terms of injury comeback.

It looks as if Eliasson and Diedhiou were priority one to get a decision on, closely followed by the young ones.

The rest are a bit of an unknown.

For a player like Hunt, Baker or Pato, they are probably earning their ceiling wage, even more so in covid times.

Even running their contract down probably means they won’t get a great new contract next summer, but might cover that with a signing in fee.  I think both club and player are sitting tight.  No doubt there will be conversations, but probably nothing concrete yet.

Just my view.

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lots of dynamics to this one, most covered in the posts above.

I think it will be a “wait and see” in terms of injury comeback.

It looks as if Eliasson and Diedhiou were priority one to get a decision on, closely followed by the young ones.

The rest are a bit of an unknown.

For a player like Hunt, Baker or Pato, they are probably earning their ceiling wage, even more so in covid times.

Even running their contract down probably means they won’t get a great new contract next summer, but might cover that with a signing in fee.  I think both club and player are sitting tight.  No doubt there will be conversations, but probably nothing concrete yet.

Just my view.

Pato should at least be getting offered a 2+1 contract 

Archived