Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Baker contract


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Big thing previously with Pato was to always have a dangling carrot.  Hopefully he’s matured now....interview seemed to suggest so.

Probably deserves a thread. It's a crucial contract for Pato.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

One of our current players. My point is £500k is not pittance 

But no-one will pay £500k for Baker anyway so it's pointless.

Would you be happy with City paying that for an injured CB who hadn't played for 6 months and was available on a free in 6 months time?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Wed just sold webster for huge money, and mawson has recently cost fulham 20 million. They wont want to sell him for 8 or so, and as it stands, we dont have anyone i can see leaving for 20 million to cover it.... and even if we did, we havent had fans in the stadium for 9 months, that money would need to be kept aside to run the club

You need to bear in mind that he'll be going back to Fulham as a 27 year old with a year left on his deal....that opens up a whole world of negotiating possibilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Selred said:

But no-one will pay £500k for Baker anyway so it's pointless.

Would you be happy with City paying that for an injured CB who hadn't played for 6 months and was available on a free in 6 months time?

He wouldn’t be injured in jan 

Edited by And Its Smith
Link to post
Share on other sites

We saw Taylor Moore play there, we saw Tommy Rowe play there.

We need Nathan Baker very much to be there as the left centre back if Mawson becomes unavailable.

We have two very obvious positions which we need to fill for next year. Left Centre back and Right wing back where we have currently no players under contract for 21/22

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Selred said:

But he won't be fit. Say he came back 1st Jan, he won't be match fit til mid Feb.... 

what we don’t know at this stage is what Dean meant by “back in December” - is that to start getting fit or was that total injury timeline in terms of being ready to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mozo said:

I'll rehash what I've said before...

I would let Baker leave at the end of the season. 

If people weren't already convinced that that his body isn't robust enough, after a bad hamstring injury they certainly should be.

He's been a very good servant, worth the high wage, but imo won't be worth that wage going forward. 

He'll also be our 2nd choice LCB. If we didn't have Mawson, I'd keep Baker for that experience and spirit, but not now.

I'd sign a younger left footed centre-back; a ball-playing defender who would fit the system much better and would be willing to bide his time.

 

I'd still keep and renew contract. Lower base salary with top up created on a pay to play basis

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd let go. High earner and would not make the bench if Kalas was fit.

Obviously we will have to replace Mawson and then replace Baker.

I'm hoping Towler gets a start in the fa cup early December and gives Holden something to think about.

Ball playing types is what we need in how we play.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'd let go. High earner and would not make the bench if Kalas was fit.

Obviously we will have to replace Mawson and then replace Baker.

I'm hoping Towler gets a start in the fa cup early December and gives Holden something to think about.

Ball playing types is what we need in how we play.

 

Got to be able to defend too.  There are gonna be games this season, when we are gonna need Baker, or perhaps will be saying “we could’ve done with Baker out there today”.

I think we just need to see what happens when he’s back fit.  There is no rush - probably on either side, Baker must know he’s not in a great position to negotiate anything at the mo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'd let go. High earner and would not make the bench if Kalas was fit.

Obviously we will have to replace Mawson and then replace Baker.

I'm hoping Towler gets a start in the fa cup early December and gives Holden something to think about.

Ball playing types is what we need in how we play.

 

I could imagine Mawson staying long term if financially viable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Got to be able to defend too.  There are gonna be games this season, when we are gonna need Baker, or perhaps will be saying “we could’ve done with Baker out there today”.

I think we just need to see what happens when he’s back fit.  There is no rush - probably on either side, Baker must know he’s not in a great position to negotiate anything at the mo

I think Holden is more likely to bring on 2 strikers and a midfielder to try and extend our lead in games rather than bringing on Baker for a centre back.

Or starting him over the other options would go against how it looks like Holden wants us to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think Holden is more likely to bring on 2 strikers and a midfielder to try and extend our lead in games rather than bringing on Baker for a centre back.

Or starting him over the other options would go against how it looks like Holden wants us to play.

Wasn’t meaning as substitute, but as starter.  Could easily see him going Baker, Mawson, Kalas against a team like Wycombe for example...or Stoke had he been fit.

Im not saying Baker in Beckenbauer or anything like that, but is an ok passer (he’s just below middle across all Champ CBs).  In Holden’s 352 I could see him using the ball better than in a 442.  There were a few occasions last season where he was passing  them early into Dasilva.  But he is definitely more defender than ball player....I’m not gonna argue that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Got to be able to defend too.  There are gonna be games this season, when we are gonna need Baker, or perhaps will be saying “we could’ve done with Baker out there today”.

I think we just need to see what happens when he’s back fit.  There is no rush - probably on either side, Baker must know he’s not in a great position to negotiate anything at the mo

Yep, the QPR win I think springs to mind.

He was instrumental in helping us get 3 points. There will be more games like that, where we would need the quality and type of defending that Baker brings. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Yep, the QPR win I think springs to mind.

He was instrumental in helping us get 3 points. There will be more games like that, where we would need the quality and type of defending that Baker brings. 

It would be such an LJ type decision to bring in Baker to play against a certain type of opponent, rather than trusting in who our best back 3 are and making the opponent worry about our own strengths.

I think Stoke are probably one of the more physical, direct sides in the league. Moore and Vyner absolutely dominated them along with Mawson. With Kalas returning I just don't see where Baker fits in unless there are injuries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It would be such an LJ type decision to bring in Baker to play against a certain type of opponent, rather than trusting in who our best back 3 are and making the opponent worry about our own strengths.

I think Stoke are probably one of the more physical, direct sides in the league. Moore and Vyner absolutely dominated them along with Mawson. With Kalas returning I just don't see where Baker fits in unless there are injuries.

I don’t think playing Baker has to be seen as a big a compromise to the Holden system.  He is a better defender (when fit!!) than Moore and Vyner.  Him coming back in might be viewed by Holden as a way of getting a better balance than the current three.  We have to just be open minded about it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...