IGNORED

Another Steve Lansdown soliloquy

Notbarrymanc

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

He's probably realised that all those he treated with utter disdain and contempt for years actually do help on a small way!

On any objective measure, he's one of the best owners in the football league. He consistently funds the club as generously as the rules allow and has invested in the stadium and training facillities to put the club on a sound footing for the long term. Although I appreciate his loyalty to LJ infuriated some, I respect and prefer his measured approach which contrasts to knee-jerk decisions that you commonly see elsewhere.

There are SO many examples of poor ownership littering the football league and its recent history and he compares SO favourably, that it's difficult to understand where this impression comes from. 

47 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Lost interest after a few minutes. Bit of a boring old sod really, but thanks for the dosh Steve

I think the main point is that there are experts re ground safety and If the government can give clear guidance, they have the skills to implement them.  The government have just said “no crowds” in effect without properly thinking it through (surprise surprise).

There is probably some form of compromise to be found....but unfortunately we are at a point where cases are increasing again.

A big mess.

3 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

We don't deserve SL. Some of the comments on here are borderline thick. 

Makes me fume how idiotic some people can be. 

I agree with you. Unfortunately, we won't really know how good we have had it with SL at the helm until he has gone. I don't anticipate that will be any time soon as he will probably give more scope to his son over time until he departs this mortal coil. However, I'm not particularly looking forward to JL being completely in charge as he comes across as a bit of a Muppet to be honest.

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the main point is that there are experts re ground safety and If the government can give clear guidance, they have the skills to implement them.  The government have just said “no crowds” in effect without properly thinking it through (surprise surprise).

There is probably some form of compromise to be found....but unfortunately we are at a point where cases are increasing again.

A big mess.

The biggest joke will be no fans allowed at football but you’ll have 3000 in the royal Albert hall this winter 

32 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The biggest joke will be no fans allowed at football but you’ll have 3000 in the royal Albert hall this winter 

Just as big a joke as Chepstow race course being open for 100,s of people to attend a car boot sale on a Sunday but it’s closed to the public for race meetings..  total madness

oh and yes I read Martin Samuels piece on Saturday as well 

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

If staying away from grounds saves one life. I'm happy to wait and watch the Tele.

Hopefully we will be back sooner rather than later. Let's not add a burden to the emergency services by having the ground open quite yet 

Hopefully soon!!!! But not yet 

Everyday, people are dying in car accidents. My finger in the air, non scientific approach, tells me that more people are dying from driving than covid at the moment. Does that stop people from driving their cars or cause the government to fret?

Just when will the government accept that this crisis needs a more measured approach?

Firstly, there has to be an acknowledgement that, on the whole, this is killing a small subset of the country (these numbers could be significant, that is clear). However, this happens to be people who are have underlying risks: the elderly and people will underlying health conditions. The remainder, on the whole, have mild to no symptoms. Yet we are all treated the same.

Secondly, talk to people like they are adults. Explain that if they act irresponsibly, they will kill loved ones and others who are at risk.

Thirdly, allow people to make the call themselves on their health. E.g. I've had the risks explained to me, I know which risk group I am part of (I am over-weight, I am over 50 but other than that, I am healthy), I know that extra controls will be put in place by City to keep me safe e.g. social distancing, it's an outdoor space, etc. I feel adequately informed about the risks and I can make a decision about whether I can attend a football match. I also accept there is no such thing as 100% safe. I can also have a conversation with my family to help me with my decision. Ultimately, if I'm an idiot, then maybe I'm in need of a Darwin Award.

People need to accept there is no such thing as 100% safe and I don't accept the '... if it saves one life... ' argument.

1 minute ago, bcfcfinker said:

Everyday, people are dying in car accidents. My finger in the air, non scientific approach, tells me that more people are dying from driving than covid at the moment. Does that stop people from driving their cars or cause the government to fret?

Just when will the government accept that this crisis needs a more measured approach?

Firstly, there has to be an acknowledgement that, on the whole, this is killing a small subset of the country (these numbers could be significant, that is clear). However, this happens to be people who are have underlying risks: the elderly and people will underlying health conditions. The remainder, on the whole, have mild to no symptoms. Yet we are all treated the same.

Secondly, talk to people like they are adults. Explain that if they act irresponsibly, they will kill loved ones and others who are at risk.

Thirdly, allow people to make the call themselves on their health. E.g. I've had the risks explained to me, I know which risk group I am part of (I am over-weight, I am over 50 but other than that, I am healthy), I know that extra controls will be put in place by City to keep me safe e.g. social distancing, it's an outdoor space, etc. I feel adequately informed about the risks and I can make a decision about whether I can attend a football match. I also accept there is no such thing as 100% safe. I can also have a conversation with my family to help me with my decision. Ultimately, if I'm an idiot, then maybe I'm in need of a Darwin Award.

People need to accept there is no such thing as 100% safe and I don't accept the '... if it saves one life... ' argument.

Tell that to an NHS doctor that's just worked 14 hours .....or a family that's lost a loved one

If you can't go a few months without sitting in a stadium to help reduce the strain on our public services, I think that's truly incredible.

Try and think beyond what impacts you 

• SC&T Board Members
5 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

I'm afraid that your finger in the air approach is causing you to draw an incorrect conclusion. UK road deaths run, on average, at around 5 per day. Covid, as you know, is currently at around 30-40 per day.

1 minute ago, Matthew me said:

Tell that to an NHS doctor that's just worked 14 hours .....or a family that's lost a loved one

If you can't go a few months without sitting in a stadium to help reduce the strain on our public services, I think that's truly incredible.

Try and think beyond what impacts you 

Do you drive?

Does the possibility of killing a child stop you from driving? The same doctor having to explain to a parent that their child is dead?

I would hope that such possibilities cause you to think while driving, cause you to exercise due care and putting all possible controls in place to avoid killing someone else while driving etc. I would not expect you to give up driving.

Yes, I think about my impact on the world and I try to ensure I don't kill anyone in the process.
Unfortunately, I have killed animals on the road (fortunately I have not killed or injured anyone), one of those was the consequence of a dog owner not being in control of their dog (retractor lead was not locked out, the dog saw another dog across the road and the dog jumped out in front of my wagon).

I can look at the figures: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk
I can see that on comparison, things are not as bad as they were and I can put things into perspective.
I have a different view to you, you'll just have to accept it.

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

If staying away from grounds saves one life. I'm happy to wait and watch the Tele.

Hopefully we will be back sooner rather than later. Let's not add a burden to the emergency services by having the ground open quite yet 

Hopefully soon!!!! But not yet 

But we can all sit in a pub?

14 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Do you drive?

Does the possibility of killing a child stop you from driving? The same doctor having to explain to a parent that their child is dead?

I would hope that such possibilities cause you to think while driving, cause you to exercise due care and putting all possible controls in place to avoid killing someone else while driving etc. I would not expect you to give up driving.

Yes, I think about my impact on the world and I try to ensure I don't kill anyone in the process.
Unfortunately, I have killed animals on the road (fortunately I have not killed or injured anyone), one of those was the consequence of a dog owner not being in control of their dog (retractor lead was not locked out, the dog saw another dog across the road and the dog jumped out in front of my wagon).

I can see that on comparison, things are not as bad as they were and I can put things into perspective.

That's fair enough. A forum is the place to share different opinion and I do accept that.

I don't agree. I think it's selfish to add any undue pressure to the system 

But I respect your honesty and openness. Let's hope it's all academic and weve cured this sooner rather than later

14 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

But we can all sit in a pub?

If you're inclined to do so.

The rules are about as clear as mud. 

I'm just trying to avoid optional social engagement where possible. Wear a mask, and distance from others 

I can wait a few months before going to AG.if it helps a.bigger cause 

5 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

If you're inclined to do so.

The rules are about as clear as mud. 

I'm just trying to avoid optional social engagement where possible. Wear a mask, and distance from others 

I can wait a few months before going to AG.if it helps a.bigger cause 

As you say clear as mud we can go to shopping malls, eat and drink at pubs and restaurants and go to the gym but not watch sport in a controlled environment. It’s bonkers it really is.

52 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

I'm afraid that your finger in the air approach is causing you to draw an incorrect conclusion. UK road deaths run, on average, at around 5 per day. Covid, as you know, is currently at around 30-40 per day.

Fair enough, it was a finger in the air that was wrong, as invariably they always are.

And your view on the '... if it saves one life... ' argument put forward by MM?

What about, by saving that one life, you inextricably cause 2+ deaths?

Currently, we are seeing the hard numbers of covid but nothing of the indirect numbers i.e. people who have appointments cancelled, are too scared to attend the doctors/hospital, etc.. Which will be the larger number.

The past controls were effective and justified. Now however, if the current numbers are looked at, something appears to have changed and other controls should be considered. The '... if it saves one life... ' argument tends to cause people to stop thinking and I'd say it's fair to challenge it without a lazy argument of '... but think of the poor doctors and nurses....'. (these people do a spectacular job and they have my full support, but strangely, in some situations, some are sitting on their hands because the NHS has ground to a halt due to covid).

Incidentally, my wife is a nurse. She is enjoying the sympathy, support etc. but she knows that once this is all over, it will go back to the same old shit.

32 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Do you drive?

A properly shit analogy to use. 

When you drive, you drive with restrictions implemented by the government. Restrictions like driving slowly on school roads. You drive with restrictions and rules because the general public cannot be trusted, and because it is the best way to manage the wider population. You are not allowed to drive at 70mph outside of a school because that will hugely increase your chance of killing a child. 

Likewise, thousands of people congregating in a small area will hugely increase your chance of spreading this virus. 

13 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Fair enough, it was a finger in the air that was wrong, as invariably they always are.

And your view on the '... if it saves one life... ' argument put forward by MM?

What about, by saving that one life, you inextricably cause 2+ deaths?

Currently, we are seeing the hard numbers of covid but nothing of the indirect numbers i.e. people who have appointments cancelled, are too scared to attend the doctors/hospital, etc.. Which will be the larger number.

The past controls were effective and justified. Now however, if the current numbers are looked at, something appears to have changed and other controls should be considered. The '... if it saves one life... ' argument tends to cause people to stop thinking and I'd say it's fair to challenge it without a lazy argument of '... but think of the poor doctors and nurses....'. (these people do a spectacular job and they have my full support, but strangely, in some situations, some are sitting on their hands because the NHS has ground to a halt due to covid).

Incidentally, my wife is a nurse. She is enjoying the sympathy, support etc. but she knows that once this is all over, it will go back to the same old shit.

The long term effects of it all will be ridiculous. We need to stop this nonsense ASAP. I think the initial lockdown was a reasonable idea but now it’s just pushing problems down the road for millions and not going to solve anything. Millions will be jobless or homeless or both if it continues much longer. 

5 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Lost interest after a few minutes. Bit of a boring old sod really, but thanks for the dosh Steve

Maybe SL should do an additional interview that lasts less than 3 minutes and uses words of no more than two syllables. Then people like you can have the option of watching that version. The rest of us can watch the informed discussion.

29 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Maybe SL should do an additional interview that lasts less than 3 minutes and uses words of no more than two syllables. Then people like you can have the option of watching that version. The rest of us can watch the informed discussion.

Something doesn’t need to be a sound bite to be succinct. And not everyone has got 30 minutes spare to listen to, I’m guessing, billionaires moaning about reduced income streams. 

2 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

I get the sentiments of your post.  For me the biggest issue has been the lack of transparency re the initial “lockdown” (it wasn’t lockdown really, but that’s a a digression) and the subsequent plan to start removing lockdown and the subsequent implementation of those elements.  What we’ve been left with is a series of what appear to be inconsistent rules - a cynic might suggest based on the impact to Tory benefactors and influencers.

I sat and read the 60 page strategy doc when it first came out.  I read what each alert level meant, how it was measured.

It was a “nothing” document, full of wishy-washy stuff, written purposely in that way to avoid scrutiny / challenge.  If I’d produced that in my job, I would’ve been very disappointed in myself.

For example the gold old “R” number was used to determine whether we could move from 4 to 3.  Not only was it not well defined, when the government realised it wasn’t going low enough, they changed to using “Ri” (Rate of infection) a totally different metric.

To move to pubs opening for example (I can’t remember every bit) then a fully functioning TT&I (Track, Trace and Isolate) system had to be in place.  That TTI “solution” specifically mentioned an functioning app.  The app has only just been launched.

etc etc.

So what we’ve been left with is a number of questioning why you can go to the cinema indoors but not a football match outdoors.

This is exactly what the government want.  They want us to feel hard done way / injusticed so that they can then blame us for non-compliance.  It’s got Cummings all over it.  Create confusion, question the common-sense of the rules and rebel because it’s stupidly implemented.  Perfect.

Even today Johnson urging us to go to Cineworkd

Look at us all on here debating it.  None of us are right or wrong really.

They are playing us big time.

I don't get this clamour to get back into stadiums given the current climate. It's not safe, simple as.

The only way to make it safe is with vastly reduced capacity and strict controls re comings and goings. That will lead to inevitable squabbling... why is she allowed in and not me, etc? Why can't I enjoy a beer with my mates before/after games?

The Liverpool/Madrid game caused a big spike in deaths in Merseyside, causing the decease to spread. It simply ain't worth it at this time.

Archived