Jump to content
IGNORED

Humble Pie Weight Gain


Sniper
 Share

Recommended Posts

Currently, it looks like Lansdown and Ashton picked the best man for the job.

It's still early doors though, so too early for smugness or humble pie!

Also, of Houghton got a similar job we'd have a perfect reference point.

I'm glad you're happy too though mate. All smiles here n'all!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Currently, it looks like Lansdown and Ashton picked the best man for the job.

It's still early doors though, so too early for smugness or humble pie!

Also, of Houghton got a similar job we'd have a perfect reference point.

I'm glad you're happy too though mate. All smiles here n'all!

Yes it's early days, but I can guarantee you that we could have appointed Pep, Jose, Hughton or Alex Ferguson and none of them would have given us a better start to the league season..! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I know I've put on a few pounds since Lockdown but most of that has been down to some very large slices of Humble Pie.

I didn't want Deano but that was due to not even considering him due to Steve L saying he wanted to freshen things up, and to get someone in who could get us over the line. So immediately your mind starts thinking the likes of Chris Hughton, not the guy second to the guy you've just let go.

Roll forward to now and how wrong I was. First off asking for Simo and Keith to come in to assist, what a master stroke.

The players he's got in on Loan, and Chris Martin and Brunty on Free's, another master stroke.

You can see the players respect him, and want to play for him, and over the last 4 years or so I reckon he's slowly been lapping it all up and learning for his day that as now come. There must have been times where LJ picked a team, made a sub, didn't tweak the formation, loads of different things where Deano must have thought that's not going to work, I wouldn't have done that, but kept his mouth shut.

He's seen the good, and he's seen the bad, and he knows that we want to be excited and entertained, and if we play well and lose 4-3 at least we've enjoyed it, and that is what it's all about. Coming home from the gate after another LJ bore-fest was soul destroying and I had to think do I really want to watch anymore of this shite. How it's possible to win say 8 on the bounce, then lose 8 on the bounce beggars belief.

Well after the first 4 games I've got a grin from ear to ear. I'm happy, the players are happy, hey everyone's happy. Early days we know, but it's looking very encouraging i.e. Martin linking with Wells, Semenyo looking good, Weimann & Pato playing well, and Bakinson, well what a coup we have there.

Just wanted to also give a shout out to Steve L for the backing of getting in Simo and Keith, the loans, and the signings of Martin and Brunt, and the new contracts for Vyner, Moore & Max. Steve can get get a rough ride on here sometimes so credit when credit is due, so top man Steve.

I suspect not everyone is completely happy, as there must be players that realise or have been told that they are surplus to requirements, just when we seem to be doing well.

 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes it's early days, but I can guarantee you that we could have appointed Pep, Jose, Hughton or Alex Ferguson and none of them would have given us a better start to the league season..! 

If we'd appointed Fergie, we'd have got our fair share of added-time goals and penalties etc. Would've boosted our goal difference no end. Holden out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying the fact that the majority of the time, the players first option and action is to go forward. Theres the odd spell where we pass it around the back, but you can genuinely see its probing for an opening before it's quickly into the feet of TB or a cross field ball.

When I log into Robins TV, I now feel when I watch a game, I'm going to see  some decent football and some good chances which under LJ I didn't really get that feeling. We always seemed to set up based on the oppositions strengths rather than ours. The last time we did that was the run with Bobby Reid up front up until that Wolves game and we never really went back to it which was a shame.

  • Like 2
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Another major plus for Deano is his open and honest communication, no jargon, no nonsense, no riddles. He answers questions directly and as honestly as he’s able.

A lot of what LJ said made no sense at all. 

A lot of what LJ did made no sense at all. 
 

We now have a little glimpse of what Holden must have thought at times. The contrast could not be more sharp. Tinker/tombola from one and consistent team/formation from the other. 
 

The Holden revelation of using Weimanns energy in the middle behind the forwards has been a key part of the change and actually picking players that have come through the academy. Taylor Moore to Blackpool! idiocy!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes it's early days, but I can guarantee you that we could have appointed Pep, Jose, Hughton or Alex Ferguson and none of them would have given us a better start to the league season..! 

 

Points wise maybe. We may not have struggled against a demoralised Forest side though. Got a better GD. Who knows?

I'm happy though as we are. Who wouldn't be? 

I never had anything against Deano per se, only that he was an unknown quantity as a permanent manager. I said when he was appointed, this might be an unexpected masterstroke - or it could be a disaster.

With 42 games to go, that still stands, although early signs are very promising.  But then, after the opening day loss to Leeds, we were pretty chipper early doors last season as well.  In Johnson's first full season, I seem to remember a strong start as well.

It's when the going gets tough that we'll know the measure of Holden.

We are City, not Swindle. We know we haven't won the title in September.

New head coach, new players, new ideas. Let's enjoy the ride and see where we end up. 

  • Like 8
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

A lot of what LJ did made no sense at all. 
 

We now have a little glimpse of what Holden must have thought at times. The contrast could not be more sharp. Tinker/tombola from one and consistent team/formation from the other. 
 

The Holden revelation of using Weimanns energy in the middle behind the forwards has been a key part of the change and actually picking players that have come through the academy. Taylor Moore to Blackpool! idiocy!!

Of course there's no possibility that Taylor Moore's loan to Blackpool and extra game time as a result is a part of the reason he's been so assured for us on his return is there?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I quite miss Lee's jargon and buzz phrases wouldn't mind if Deano incorporated a few into his interviews. 

Very pleased with how things are working out so far, I feel like we're turning into a proper championship team, you know like the ones we'd see visit Ashton Gate and be thinking why don't we play like that. 

I think that if Dean could mix everything that's going on now with just a bit of jargon and a few buzz phrases and metaphors then that would be the perfect combo for me. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're probably due a loss soon but it's not just the results, the football has been scintillating to watch, in particular Bakinson and Martin have given the side an extra dimension so even if we lose a couple soon I won't be complaining as I'm sure we'll be competing near the top end of the table this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smugly content with the start 😃 long way to go yet though, and to be fair to Lee he usually had us start the season well so lets see what happens once teams have started to suss us out. Also hoping we maintain some consistency rather than the post-Xmas drop off that we've been used to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The dastardly red said:

I quite miss Lee's jargon and buzz phrases wouldn't mind if Deano incorporated a few into his interviews. 

Very pleased with how things are working out so far, I feel like we're turning into a proper championship team, you know like the ones we'd see visit Ashton Gate and be thinking why don't we play like that. 

I think that if Dean could mix everything that's going on now with just a bit of jargon and a few buzz phrases and metaphors then that would be the perfect combo for me. 

We seem to be getting a lot more box entries under DH - ironically a much mocked phrase that is a far better measure than possession stats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall Johnson did a good job.  Results-wise he had us there or thereabouts....last season we spent 14 matches in the top 6.  But the football had become turgid.  And as a bloke who likes his data I think results ended up matching the level of our play, and mid-table was about right.  There were lots of indicators that results were unsustainable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

We seem to be getting a lot more box entries under DH - ironically a much mocked phrase that is a far better measure than possession stats.

Here’s a view of Holden v Johnson from a data perspective.

1525C085-0559-4735-8215-7A74E5E37FAF.thumb.jpeg.3a68c9076ccbeb56c8b2911d950a5ff4.jpeg

Attack type: more possession based attacked, but also as efficient counter-attacking as LJ....so Holden proving (so far) his side can do both! ✅

xG / Shots / on target %: all up ✅

Penalty area entries / touches: both up ✅

xG / shots / on target % (against): all down ✅

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moving away from pie chat... what an opportunity to win a 5th straight game! 

With DaSilva, Kalas, Williams, Walsh and Morrell all back fit, we've got our strongest squad for a long time available. 

Winning 5 in a row would be a massive achievement for Holden and we face an out of sorts Barnsley.

Exciting times!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Moving away from pie chat... what an opportunity to win a 5th straight game! 

With DaSilva, Kalas, Williams, Walsh and Morrell all back fit, we've got our strongest squad for a long time available. 

Winning 5 in a row would be a massive achievement for Holden and we face an out of sorts Barnsley.

Exciting times!

They won't have a manager by the time we play them either, not sure if that will be a positive or negative issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Overall Johnson did a good job.  Results-wise he had us there or thereabouts....last season we spent 14 matches in the top 6.  But the football had become turgid.  And as a bloke who likes his data I think results ended up matching the level of our play, and mid-table was about right.  There were lots of indicators that results were unsustainable.

Can’t say I’ve noticed.  :)

P.S. You might like to change your forum name to DataDave.

Edited by downendcity
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A big factor has been signings. I think that when Holden was appointed, no one would’ve predicted we’d sign players of the quality of Alfie Mawson. Even Chris Martin to an extent.

When he was appointed most seemed to believe we were accepting mediocrity. 

I’m impressed he’s signed players for a set system - something which I feel LJ didn’t do. He’s definitely been backed too, like LJ was. The board needed to back him as they’d have known he was a gamble.

I really like him as a man so I hope the good form carries on. Obviously we won’t win every single game, so it’ll be intriguing to see whether he’s able to respond better than LJ did during times of poor form.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...