IGNORED

Diedhiou staying

OneTeamInBristol

Get French Football News reporting Fam staying put here despite interest from France and Turkey.

Good news IMO if true as even with Martin and Wells he can still do a job even if coming on late to help deal with set pieces like against Forest when we're hanging on.

Let's not forget he's our top scorer over the last 2 seasons as well.

1 minute ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Get French Football News reporting Fam staying put here despite interest from France and Turkey.

Good news IMO if true as even with Martin and Wells he can still do a job even if coming on late to help deal with set pieces like against Forest when we're hanging on.

Does a job and has done well previously for us with his goals but what if he just runs down his contract to go on a freebie?

That's alot of money to miss out on just for an odd 10 mins here and there.

8 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

He has not looked too committed in last few games, but maybe I am misreading it.

If the all action Fam that we know of old is staying then great, the the Fam "ready to move on, but cannot get the right offer" is staying, that's probably bad news.

He never looks very committed - I think that's the sort of player he is - bar his flashes of skill he seems quite slow and ponderous to me although I am sure he isn't.

Tbh I prefer hasslers and chasers up front but Fam just isn't like that. 

I think that sometimes it makes him look like he isn't bothered which may not be the case. 

Interesting how it plays out from here on if Fam stays. 

If he forces his way back into the team and starts to perform like we know he can, he should attract more interest in the January window. With 6 months left on his contract we won't get too much of that 5 million back.

If he remains on the fringes of the first team then it reduces the chances he'll sign a deal and he'll be off next summer for free. 

The only question I can see now is will he go during the next window or in the summer? 

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I hope the reason they are reporting he’s staying is because he’s signed a contract....not because he’s gonna run it down.

I shall be waiting for the OS news before counting any chickens on this one.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope the reason they are reporting he’s staying is because he’s signed a contract....not because he’s gonna run it down.

I shall be waiting for the OS news before counting any chickens on this one.

From his point of view, and seeing where he appears to sit in the striker pecking order currently, my guess is that running down his contract for a decent pay day next summer might look most appealing.

The only thing that might change that, is whether he is worried that if the pandemic measures continue well into the season, and possibly into the new year, clubs’ finances might limit what is then on offer to him. This might make our new contract offer look safer - a bird in the hand, and all of that.

22 minutes ago, downendcity said:

From his point of view, and seeing where he appears to sit in the striker pecking order currently, my guess is that running down his contract for a decent pay day next summer might look most appealing.

The only thing that might change that, is whether he is worried that if the pandemic measures continue well into the season, and possibly into the new year, clubs’ finances might limit what is then on offer to him. This might make our new contract offer look safer - a bird in the hand, and all of that.

Yep, 10/11 days of waiting to see if an English team come in for him, knowing that we’d probably take a reduced fee for him.

7 minutes ago, Langford Red said:

Already decided he will wait and leave for nothing and get a big wage and signing fee on at another club

This is what is happening in football today

It's been happening in football for 25 years so today doesn't really come into it.

I don't really see a major issue. We've offered him a contract, which he hasn't decided whether he wants to accept. As a result, we've been prepared to sell him now at the right price, but no acceptable offer has been made. He's not obliged to sign a contract and I don't see any reason to have an issue with him for the fact nobody has made an offer for him.  I'd maybe understand any ill-feeling toward him a little more if someone had made an acceptable offer and he'd turned down a decent contract from them for a pay day next year but I've seen nothing to suggest that to be the case. 

I think fans have a tendency to expect loyalty from players but forget how one-sided that loyalty is. Korey Smith was here for seven years but ultimately we took the decision not to offer him the chance to stay for an eighth because the club felt we had better players. Ditto we didn't show Bailey Wright any loyalty when we didn't offer him a new contract. Szmodics and Eisa didn't even get a chance to complete their contracts because the club felt we'd rather have the money we could get for them than have them at the club and all players know that, if their club has the chance to sign a better player than them, loyalty will fly out the window in the pursuit of success. So it seems absurd to me to feel players have an obligation to sign a contract rather than keeping their options open for their career. 

19 minutes ago, Langford Red said:

Already decided he will wait and leave for nothing and get a big wage and signing fee on at another club

This is what is happening in football today

So many IFs and BUTs  here, but IF he has not signed a new contract and IF his plan is to run down his contract and leave on a free for a big signing on fee  when his contract expires, new club, and all that, then  I would not pick him and he can train with U23's.  Happened before at other clubs, that said wait and see what appears on OS. The Post was reporting he wants to stay, so.....   patience and all will be revealed

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

So many IFs and BUTs  here, but IF he has not signed a new contract and IF his plan is to run down his contract and leave on a free for a big signing on fee  when his contract expires, new club, and all that, then  I would not pick him and he can train with U23's.  Happened before at other clubs, that said wait and see what appears on OS. The Post was reporting he wants to stay, so.....   patience and all will be revealed

GJ used to do that but I've never understood it. It just feels like petulance and the club having a sulk. If we're paying a player until the end of next season, I'd rather we paid them until the end of next season rather than blamed the player for the fact we didn't sort out his future in time to make  money on him. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

GJ used to do that but I've never understood it. It just feels like petulance and the club having a sulk. If we're paying a player until the end of next season, I'd rather we paid them until the end of next season rather than blamed the player for the fact we didn't sort out his future in time to make  money on him. 

Yep, only really an effective tactic if the player is having a poisonous impact on the squad. Famara doesn't seem the type. He doesn't even seem the type to sulk. I think Holden manages his squad like grown ups so I doubt things like this will happen.

He’s perfectly entitled to see out his contract. 
He’s signed til the end of the season and eligible to play for us til then. 
I don’t understand why managers don’t pick players nor fans get upset when players do this. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, only really an effective tactic if the player is having a poisonous impact on the squad. Famara doesn't seem the type. He doesn't even seem the type to sulk. I think Holden manages his squad like grown ups so I doubt things like this will happen.

Fam doesn’t seem the type you’re right....but that first time he fails to press his man, or goes in half-heartedly, his team-mates might wonder if he’s putting it in.  And that’s where problems can begin....not intentionally.  It might not happen, but it will be something to look out for.

I guess this situation is a bit weird in that he’s gone from a starter to behind Semenyo on the subs bench.

I don’t know what to think.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

I like Fam but he is not the future of any club at this level chasing promotion and will never cut it a level above so I would rather he did go for nothing at the end of the season than get another couple of years contract.

Just out of interest, what do you expect to happen over a 46-game season? Players like Diedhiou are vital as Wells/Martin etc. are going to fluctuate in fitness and form over a year. We can’t just rely on academy players whenever that happens, we need rotational strikers and that’s exactly what he is. 

EDIT: add to this that our 3rd (or possibly even 4th) choice striker has scored double figures in the Championship the last 3 years in a row. If that doesn’t show how bloody far we’ve come as a club, I don’t know what does. 

2 minutes ago, Distortia said:

Just out of interest, what do you expect to happen over a 46-game season? Players like Diedhiou are vital as Wells/Martin etc. are going to fluctuate in fitness and form over a year. We can’t just rely on academy players whenever that happens, we need rotational strikers and that’s exactly what he is. 

We play two up top. We have Semenyo and Wiemann who are far more mobile and fluid. We have Paterson who can play more advanced. Palmer, even.

You name 2 players as that suits your argument but the fact is Diedhiou has never functioned in a fluid high press 2 up front and that is what we are playing.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I don’t understand why managers don’t pick players nor fans get upset when players do this. 

I remember when Johnson siloed off Basso that time (I think he may have also gave him a high squad number to prove a point, until he was actually needed again).  Not the way I would go about things, seeing as he was still the best in his position at the club at the time

2 hours ago, Harry said:

A valid point, but you can equally argue the player is no longer committed to the ‘cause’.  Perhaps not now, but second half of the season most certainly so.  Look at the situation of the Charlton player (TAYLOR?) who declined to play re start of the season in event of injury when hunting a new club and contract ? 

I appreciate it is the way it is, but IF Fam view is he’s going to run his contract down....  and see what develops ?

FWIW mind I still suspect he will sign, its going to be a hard old world out their now with COVID and finances with professional sport

I'd be effing delighted if he stays.

No matter what- he's been our best striker since he signed- he's just got better and better in defence and to quote a well known family- " another great club in the bag".

IMO- he's dropped down the rankings due to his contract issues and, most likely, his head being turned .Yet Fam could easily become a nailed on starter again.

In the event of injury to Wells or Martin then he'll be easily able to step in and I wouldn't question his capability to do the business. 

21 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

A valid point, but you can equally argue the player is no longer committed to the ‘cause’.  Perhaps not now, but second half of the season most certainly so.  Look at the situation of the Charlton player (TAYLOR?) who declined to play re start of the season in event of injury when hunting a new club and contract ? 

I appreciate it is the way it is, but IF Fam view is he’s going to run his contract down....  and see what develops ?

FWIW mind I still suspect he will sign, its going to be a hard old world out their now with COVID and finances with professional sport

100% there’s always the danger that the player doesn’t quite ‘put it in’ toward the end of the contract, but it’s at that point that the manager has the ability to not select him. 

There are lots of players in the lower leagues who are on 1 year contracts, every year. Blimey, can’t even think how GJ managed down there!! ?

4 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

What an indictment of a centre forward when his main benefit is seen as defending set pieces.

40 minutes ago, Harry said:

100% there’s always the danger that the player doesn’t quite ‘put it in’ toward the end of the contract, but it’s at that point that the manager has the ability to not select him. 

There are lots of players in the lower leagues who are on 1 year contracts, every year. Blimey, can’t even think how GJ managed down there!! ?

Thats a very different scenario.

Not sure if you subscribe to the Athletic (I’m on a £1 / 6 mths deal), but there was a great article on Kevin Ellison who was on £2k a month.

They are all playing for their futures in different ways I guess.

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Is a better indictment of a centre forward being our top scorer for the past 2 seasons?

Like Diedhiou is....

Plus have we ever played to his strengths?

When we had targeted him, I remember some  on here giving a decent insight into what we were getting. It wasn't a target man , which is how we have forced him into playing. Plus , as you say , top scorer for the past 2 years . 38 in 93 starts ain't bad.

Archived