IGNORED

Mesut Ozil

Clevedon Red

4 hours ago, BritAbroad said:

I think Arsenal sacking the mascot to save money, then buying someone for 47m and paying that guy (what I'm guessing is) multiple times what the mascot earned per year, per week looks really bad on them.

Ozil has made a nice gesture, which doesn't cost him much (in comparison to what he earns) - some people have said it's purely PR, but none of the other Arsenal players have said or done anything that I've seen (they may have done, but I've not seen it).

By and large agree but your last point is the interesting point, right? 'They may have done, but I've not seen it.' And you've seen it with Ozil, because he himself tweeted it. If it was simply a good gesture driven by a sense of moral duty, no need to tell the world you're given up £350 of your 350,000 a week.

Doesnt mean its a terrible thing to do - its obviously a nice thing. But also its clearly a bit more complicated than 'good bloke, well done'.

11 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Think if they 'force Ozil out' then they will be able to afford to employ Gunnersaurus for about another thousand years along with every other Gunnersaurus in the world and all their Gunnersaurus sons and daughters. 

One must live one must die 

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The mascots on 25k a year, good grief.

Hes probaly got a agent.

From what I read yesterday, he's got two or three different jobs at the club. Plus I think he featured in quite a bit of their community work - turning up at hospitals and events and so forth. The news stories I'd read implied he was doing a lot more than a couple of hours on a matchday. 

13 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Nope. How else do you explain a player on 300K a week hasn’t played under 3 managers? Injuries? Systems? 

I think Arsenal panicked when he was in the last year of his contract without really considering how he fitted into the team. Fundamentally he is a very talented football but not really suited to how Arsenal play or how most top level teams play at the moment. If you look at top level clubs there's a massive focus on athleticism and versatility as well as skill, and crucially there's been a massive move away from a number ten role - not just at Arsenal but across the divisions. When he came through in around 2008 through to about 2015, there were a lot of top teams playing 4-2-3-1 and Ozil was perfectly suited to a free role drifting around the striker with limited defensive responsibilities. Now less and less top teams play that and the focus in on 4-3-3 with athletic agile forwards who can switch across the front line. Essentially the game has left him behind. 

My natural reaction is to slam Ozil for being overpaid but when I gave a similar percentage of my wage to charity I wanted to give myself a big pat on the back so it wouldn't be very fair.

Its a very nice gesture but I still can't get over that someone with his talents hasn't done better. Would be very interesting to know the reasons why its gone so wrong.

28 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I amazed someone has 3 roles at a club like them and is on 25k a year.

What were his other 2 roles out of intrest london bristolian?

The article didn't say. But doesn't shock me particularly. What do you find surprising? I imagine it's a couple of different areas of responsibility that would otherwise be part-time stitched together into a full time job.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I amazed someone has 3 roles at a club like them and is on 25k a year.

Ozil is on £350k pw and appears to have no role at the club! 

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So the article didnt say ok his 3 roles like you say,

I was just intrested, that a top club like that gives 3 roles to a mascot.

Forgive me for saying i found it hard to fathom.

Perhaps you could read the article again and update me?

cheers,

I doubt they gave 3 roles to a mascot. I suspect what they actually did was asked someone already in the Supporter Liaison team to be the mascot rather than risking someone they did not know, and he took it on on top of whatever he was doing at the time.

I don't think it at all someone in supporter liaison has lost their job. I do find it slightly depressing that a massive deal has been made out of this one person losing their job and I suspect he is one of many, many people laid off by football clubs who aren't getting the same support and attention.

• Admin
55 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I doubt they gave 3 roles to a mascot. I suspect what they actually did was asked someone already in the Supporter Liaison team to be the mascot rather than risking someone they did not know, and he took it on on top of whatever he was doing at the time.

I don't think it at all someone in supporter liaison has lost their job. I do find it slightly depressing that a massive deal has been made out of this one person losing their job and I suspect he is one of many, many people laid off by football clubs who aren't getting the same support and attention.

Our former mascot became an integral part of the Stadium rebuild 

At a high profile club like Arsenal the mascot should be on way more than 25k. 

The mascot is part of the club's image and would be involved in quite a lot of extra work outside of match day. 

People probably don't realise that when wearing a mascot suit it's not easy to perform what are often quite complex dance moves, gestures etc. It actually takes a lot of skill and training. 

You can also factor in abuse from rival fans and opposition mascots which can be extremely personal and sometimes physical. 

I'd say 80-100k for a mascot at a prem club regularly featuring in European competitions would be fair. 

Archived