IGNORED

The Importance Of Football

BTRFTG

Today, my best mate's cousin buried his wife.

Where normally there would have been hundreds in attendance to honour a loving, caring and compassionate woman, there were 15 in total (3 of whom were funeral directors.) Fewer than a match day squad.

His cousin was confined to a hearse on his own, his closest family unable to provide direct support.

So for those of you asking what the hell that has to do with football? His cousin played for England and a host of top flight clubs. Decent player, much nicer bloke.

Tonight he'd happily forgo his football riches to have been able to mourn his wife with the full dignity she deserved.

So to those clamouring to have football return to some form of normalcy at ANY cost, you know what? Rich or poor, celebrity or nomark,  football ain't that important.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Where normally there would have been hundreds in attendance to honour a loving, caring and compassionate woman, there were 15 in total (3 of whom were funeral directors.) Fewer than a match day squad.

His cousin was confined to a hearse on his own, his closest family unable to provide direct support.

So for those of you asking what the hell that has to do with football? His cousin played for England and a host of top flight clubs. Decent player, much nicer bloke.

Tonight he'd happily forgo his football riches to have been able to mourn his wife with the full dignity she deserved.

So to those clamouring to have football return to some form of normalcy at ANY cost, you know what? Rich or poor, celebrity or nomark,  football ain't that important.

I would have to agree. I lost my Dad earlier this year and we also haven't been able to give him the send off he deserved. We settled for a family scattering of the ashes and a memorial park bench. My condolences to you, your friends family and all who knew him. RIP. 

9 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Yes - the rules are too harsh on the bereaved and make a sad situation worse.

I'm not sure there are too many clamouring for football to return to normal but it is rather silly that a cinema can open to screen a Prem match yet even the smallest number of fans can't go into a massive open air stadium.

I'm sure that a system could be carefully designed to prevent a super spreading event because in some communities football actually is that important.

30 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes - the rules are too harsh on the bereaved and make a sad situation worse.

I'm not sure there are too many clamouring for football to return to normal but it is rather silly that a cinema can open to screen a Prem match yet even the smallest number of fans can't go into a massive open air stadium.

I'm sure that a system could be carefully designed to prevent a super spreading event because in some communities football actually is that important.

Yes , agree. It’s obviously very sad that anyone losing a loved one can’t commemorate their lives to its full extent . I know how tough it is after losing my dad to cancer a few years ago, it’s  very difficult at the best of times.

It can’t be underestimated though how much sport impacts on people’s mental health. In a lot of cases , going to football is their life. 
I said on another thread , the virus is with us for a very long time. We may not get a vaccine for years. If we don’t try to at least get back to some fans in the ground , then we may not have clubs to go back to which will devastate communities . Especially of smaller clubs 

I find the whole thing heartbreaking for anyone who loses someone at the moment 

My Dad died of cancer at the beginning of January 2019, a few weeks before what would have been his 71st birthday. He was diagnosed in August and it was quickly established that there was nothing they could do. In a way, I'm grateful for that because it means that, rather than having treatment, he spent three months doing things he wanted to do. He went away for two weeks with me, my Mum and my brother's family, went for a weekend away with his brothers, saw friends, went to places he'd never been, made a final visit to see me in London and - right up until a month before he died - had a great quality of life.

That meant he said goodbye on his terms and my heart breaks for anyone who gets a similar diagnosis and spends their last months on Earth shielding of unable to see people they love. 

And similarly the number of people at the funeral made a real difference on my Mum, my brother and me. My Dad was a modest man, who didn't think of himself as popular, and it meant such a lot to see how many people wanted to say goodbye to him. I cannot imagine how different in must be for someone to only half fifteen people at a service.

Lastly, for my Mum who was left behind, I cannot imagine how difficult it would have been to grieve and rebuild her life and social connections in the midst of a pandemic and social distancing.

I am so sorry for your best mate's cousin and hope he gets the support that he needs as I feel this is a very hard time to be lonely.

Archived