IGNORED

What if Hargreaves bought Bristol Rovers and Bath Rugby clubs to rival Lands down, or we bought out Rovers?

pogue malone

I agree to an extent. It's a bit of a strange though to specifically attribute it to Peter Hargreaves (who isn't a sports fan) but if you run with the idea then yes I think you have a point.

I think it would be better if Rovers were in our league - obviously you'd want us to be finishing higher each season in every department (results in the derby games, league table, attendance etc) but nothing compares to a Bristol Derby game.

I like the Cardiff games, but for me it lacks the intensity of a Bristol Derby. 

I'd never want Rovers to overtake us, but I think it would probably be better for the city if both teams were decent rather than just us. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree to an extent. It's a bit of a strange though to specifically attribute it to Peter Hargreaves (who isn't a sports fan) but if you run with the idea then yes I think you have a point.

I think it would be better if Rovers were in our league - obviously you'd want us to be finishing higher each season in every department (results in the derby games, league table, attendance etc) but nothing compares to a Bristol Derby game.

I like the Cardiff games, but for me it lacks the intensity of a Bristol Derby. 

I'd never want Rovers to overtake us, but I think it would probably be better for the city if both teams were decent rather than just us. 

Personally i'm happy with them being skint and shit. Hope it never changes.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, pogue malone said:

Raise profiles of the clubs for one

Bath certainly don't need any financial boost, as for Rovers.

Three weeks today it will be TWENTY YEARS since they were last above us in the legue

Thats whole generations of people that haven't known them to compete with us

Let them rot I say

Peter Hargreaves is from Lancashire & has no interest in sport, so this is about as likely as me & Juliette Binoche getting together.

Anyway, Roverrzz have their own “billionaire owner” already, don’t they?

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Thats whole generations of people that haven't known them to compete with us

Im barely old enough to remember when they could compete with us. Foe decades now they have almost become irrelevant. Whilst its fun taking the piss i really couldnt give a shite what they do. We are heading in opposite directions, and they will become even more irrelevant. You hardly see anyone wear their shirt. Going down the shitpipe me thinks

We have seen the amount of investment needed in the past 10-15 years or so just to get City from a championship/league one yo-yo side to a top half/mid-table championship side. Unless Rovers start to punch above their weight like a Wycombe then there is little chance of them competing. Personally I wish for football in general (not particularly Rovers) to be a bit more competitive where by teams on similar sized gates to the Gas could buy some good players and actually compete in the 2nd tier for more than 1 or 2 seasons max. If City didn't have Lansdown's cash then we might not be much better than them right now, similar to other times in our history.

Peter Hargreaves has a reputation of being a hard headed businessman so throwing money at two loss making clubs wouldn’t appeal to him. He has set a charitable foundation for those who are disadvantaged, but I doubt he’d regard Rovers and Bath Rugby supporters as qualifying 

We have always maintained that there is only one team in Bristol, what if we extend that to only one team in the Bristol area?

Rovers fans would be dead against losing heir identity, so might we, but is it ridiculous to have Bristol United?

Or if that doesn't suit why don't we collaborate much more, currently the must obvious club to loan out talented young players to would be the Gas.

Why send them to Newport, Torquay, Plymouth et al when Brian Tinnion could keep closer tabs on them at the Memorial? 

We have started a loan or two with their ex managers Ian Holloway and Darrell Clarke; why we've even been applauding Geoff Twentyman for his recent interviewing prowess.

As opposed to his hoof ball prowess which featured so heavily when Devon White was trying to trap medicine balls for Gerry Francis.

I know i will be shot down for suggesting it but when City get to the Premiership this season will we still be taking pride in 'Mind the Gap' gags?

The gap will soon become an ocean and it will be time for a rethink. i want us to treat Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U as our derbies and aim to be much, much bigger.

Getting one over the Gas must, and will, become irrelevant

2 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

We have always maintained that there is only one team in Bristol, what if we extend that to only one team in the Bristol area?

Rovers fans would be dead against losing heir identity, so might we, but is it ridiculous to have Bristol United?

Or if that doesn't suit why don't we collaborate much more, currently the must obvious club to loan out talented young players to would be the Gas.

Why send them to Newport, Torquay, Plymouth et al when Brian Tinnion could keep closer tabs on them at the Memorial? 

We have started a loan or two with their ex managers Ian Holloway and Darrell Clarke; why we've even been applauding Geoff Twentyman for his recent interviewing prowess.

As opposed to his hoof ball prowess which featured so heavily when Devon White was trying to trap medicine balls for Gerry Francis.

I know i will be shot down for suggesting it but when City get to the Premiership this season will we still be taking pride in 'Mind the Gap' gags?

The gap will soon become an ocean and it will be time for a rethink. i want us to treat Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U as our derbies and aim to be much, much bigger.

Could not disagree more.

The game is becoming duller and duller as it is. Football is all about passion and they will always be our main rivals and rightly so. I wouldn't want to help them in anyway or join forces. 

If we became champions of europe and beating the likes of Barca I would still find it great seeing them lose to teams like chippenham town.

As for Man U, chelsea etc being our rivals nah not for me. Be great beating those sides but the gas will always be number one followed by cardiff 

2 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

No thanks. 

Games are available to watch online now, most clubs with our loanees will have the full 90's sent back to us etc. No need to be there in person to watch loanees play. I never understand it when that comment comes up. 

The way their fans treated Akinde, I wouldn't want to see another player join them again. 

Bristol United is a ****ing stupid idea and typically raised by people who don’t get football. The only thing more predictable is that some wag always follows it with “I know, we take the Bristol from their name, the City from ours, the white from their kit and a Red from ours”

Bristol United would never make any sense - both emotionally, and for us, economically. We have literally nothing to gain - they have no players, staff or facilities we’d want. Just a nice watch.

As for loaning players, tbh I actually wouldn’t object. It’s a local club who are no threat whatsoever so why not use them? If the player does well, swiftly recall and loan to a better level like we did with Louis Britton (recall from Yate and went to Bath last year). That’s how I view them.

I'm sure if there was the desire, they could be purchased and "incorporated" into Bristol Sport -  if you get my drift. 

Personally, I don't mind watching them limp along in our (now considerable) shadow. I'd also be happier with them going bust under their own steam.

Either way, there's so much mileage for entertainment on our part. 

I hope Garner continues the good work. 

Steve Lansdown was once asked about ‘Bristol United’ and he replied “what have the the Rovers got that we’d want?”.......

The question came about after Mike Parry on TalkSport said that it made sense for Bristol to have only one club..........He was just doing his job that’s all............:dunno:

• The title was changed to What if Hargreaves bought Bristol Rovers and Bath Rugby clubs to rival Lands down, or we bought out Rovers?
12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Steve Lansdown was once asked about ‘Bristol United’ and he replied “what have the the Rivers got that we’d want?”.......

The question came about after Mike Parry on TalkSport said that it made sense for Bristol to have only one club..........He was just doing his job that’s all............:dunno:

God. He’s really trying to fit into upper society with that pronunciation.

Archived