IGNORED

Barnsley player banned for two years!

phantom

• Admin

Barnsley Football Club can confirm that Bambo Diaby's contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.

In January 2020, Bambo Diaby was charged with consuming the prohibited substance of higenamine.

Having contested the charge, the protracted case has now concluded.

The FA Anti-Doping Regulation mandate a two-year ban where an individual is unable to show that they meet the strict requirements to sustain a plea of No Fault or Negligence, or No Significant Fault or Negligence.

Despite making sincere efforts to identify the source of the prohibited substance, Bambo Diaby has been unable to do so. Because of this, a two-year mandatory ban has been imposed by WADA and The FA. Bambo Diaby was not found guilty of knowingly ingesting a banned substance.

Both Bambo Diaby and Barnsley FC have been honest and compliant throughout the process. However, following the outcome, regretfully Bambo Diaby’s contract has been consensually terminated.

Barnsley Football Club would like to thank Bambo for his contributions whilst at Oakwell.

The Club will make no further comment at this time.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2020/october/diaby-statement/

• Admin

Dear Reds,

It is with great sadness in my heart that I write this message to the Barnsley FC supporters.

I am devastated with the news that I have received which means I cannot return to play football until 2022. This has been such a long process but I had remained upbeat and inspired by the support and backing from the club. They supported me from day one of my charge and I am so grateful for that.

I have been inundated with messages of support from Reds fans throughout this ordeal and you will never appreciate just how much this meant to me during a difficult time. From my first moment at this great club, I was welcomed with open arms by staff, players and the whole community of Barnsley. I made this place my home and was looking forward to many years playing for the town and its people.

There were ups and downs last season but I always felt the fans were with us, even in the tough times. Thank you for that. But I could sense the change of fortunes around Christmas; we started to gain vital results heading into the New Year. I will never forget scoring my first goal at Oakwell in front of the ‘Ponty End’, it is a feeling I’ll always have with me. And I continued to support the team in my absence and to see the way they fought their way through the lockdown period and to eventual safety was incredible. I became a Reds fan myself, cheering on the lads… I will continue to do this in the future.

I maintain my innocence, something the FA have acknowledged themselves but I must handle this decision with my family and look forward to a brighter future. And you never know what may happen. I will never give in on one day pulling that shirt back on.

Thank you all, and be safe.

BAMBO x

TAKEN FROM: https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2020/october/bambo-diaby-open-letter/

• Admin

Higenamine was added to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited List in 2017 and is classified as a beta-2 agonist, which means it is prohibited at all times, both in and out-of-competition.

Keep reading to learn more about this prohibited substance that’s becoming more common in dietary supplements.

What is higenamine?

A substance found in a variety of plant sources, higenamine is found in several herbs used for traditional medicine, and now the supplement industry has started using it as a substitute for Dimethylamylamine (DMAA) and ephedrine. Higenamine is called by various names and below are some of the many names that athletes should check supplement labels for:

• higenamine
    • norcoclaurine
    • demethylcoclaurine
    • Aconite
    • Annona squamosal
    • Nandina domestica
    • Tinospora crispa

It’s also important to remember that because of post-market regulation, some dietary supplement labels do not list all of the ingredients they contain, including prohibited and harmful substances.

Some products that are known to contain higenamine can be found on USADA’s Supplement 411 High Risk List. When it comes to supplements, keep in mind that the only way to have zero risk is to use zero supplements. Athletes who choose to use dietary supplements do so at their own risk.

Why is higenamine prohibited at all times in sport?

Research indicates that higenamine has mixed adrenergic receptor activity, meaning it may act as a general stimulant. It may be found in some pre-workout, energy, or weight-loss products.

In one 2019 study, 24 supplements products, most of which were marketed for weight loss or energy, were analyzed for higenamine. The amount of higenamine in the supplements was anywhere from trace amounts, to 62 ± 6.0 mg per serving. If adhering to the recommended serving sizes, users could consume up to 110 ± 11 mg of higenamine per day with these products. According to the study, five products also listed higenamine, but were inaccurately labeled and contained both more and less than what was indicated.

Does higenamine have health any purposes?

Higenamine can act as an anti-asthmatic to open up airways, and may be cardiotonic, which means that it can strengthen the heart contraction to increase cardiac output. Studies in mice and in test tubes suggest higenamine may be used to help the heart in the event of an adverse event like a myocardial infarct or heart failure. These effects have not been confirmed in human studies yet.

43 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

So the FA accept that the player did not knowingly take a banned substance, but still give him a 2 year ban. Harsh doesn't cover it.

It is very harsh but are the rules and regardless of how they were broken - however innocently -  the FA cannot be seen to letting anyone off. 

Thin edge of the wedge and all that.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It is very harsh but are the rules and regardless of how they were broken - however innocently -  the FA cannot be seen to letting anyone off. 

Thin edge of the wedge and all that.

Remind me to raise an objection if i am ever unfortunate enough to appear in court............and your on the jury ?   Punishment fair enough, but to take his livlihood away for 2 years is tyrannical, it's not as if was amphetatmine or cocaine.  IMHO........I find it absurd and jarring.

21 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Remind me to raise an objection if i am ever unfortunate enough to appear in court............and your on the jury ?   Punishment fair enough, but to take his livlihood away for 2 years is tyrannical, it's not as if was amphetatmine or cocaine.  IMHO........I find it absurd and jarring.

As I said rules are rules and the FA cannot be seen to allow any player to break those rules. If they did and they allowed this guy to get off that opens a can of worms.

I agree that’s it’s a very harsh punishment and that the player quite innocently somehow took the drug inadvertently and the FA accept that but felt he still had to be banned.

I feel bad if he's genuinely innocent. But I think the rule is correct. A not guilty, just means they can't prove that he knowingly took it.

"I don't know how it got in my system" even if true, can't be accepted when you have a positive drug test in sport.

There's a level of responsibility that athletes have with regards to controlling what goes into their body.

I can't help but think the authorities should be required to put context on outcomes such as this, thus allowing folks to make up their own minds. Much as with Horse Racing it isn't until one understands the difference in testing regimes such as those between between the Jockey Club & France Galop, that one understands why so many jockeys test positive in France (prohibited limits used there catch wholly incidental contamination ( often from test labs themselves,) limits which over here require three times that for a jockey to be accused.)

I knew nothing of this substance or how much he had in his system but interestingly, and perhaps why he ended up getting banned, the drug has a very rapid life once administered (usually gone completely within an hour.) Which implies he must have encountered it sometime whilst at the match. Given that's such a short period it's odd he couldn't identify everything he'd ingested or injected during that period to explain how he incidentally came into contact? It would be interesting to know how much substance was detected in respect of what might constitute one therapeutic dose?

Archived