IGNORED

Meadow Park

Mike Hunt-Hertz

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

First game back at reborn Meadow Park, and Gloucester City get a good 3-1 win v Kettering.

Shame that no-one was allowed to watch (although game streamed online), as there seems to be a resurgence of interest after all the years of exile.

'Mon the Tigers.

Good to what they are back, never thought that would happen. Been there a few times watching Gloucester, also went to Horton Road!

43 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

First game back at reborn Meadow Park, and Gloucester City get a good 3-1 win v Kettering.

Shame that no-one was allowed to watch (although game streamed online), as there seems to be a resurgence of interest after all the years of exile.

'Mon the Tigers.

yeah watched last night enjoyed it plenty of tackles flying in and Sky would have been apologising for the language all game!!!

Over 700 tuned in.

54 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Yes, but pitch raised.

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Is it built on the same site as the old ground?

Assume that there has been flood defence work carried out?

Raised quite a bit in fact, if you do Facebook and look for Gloucester City they have a really good blog (AP Meadow Park blog) I think it's called covers the whole redevelopment.

2 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

Raised quite a bit in fact, if you do Facebook and look for Gloucester City they have a really good blog (AP Meadow Park blog) I think it's called covers the whole redevelopment.

The blog is great - if u want to learn what it takes to build anew ground read it from the start 

12 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Gutted- Jason Eaton was one of the scorers that day I believe.  Went to the replay at MP but we lost 1-0 - would’ve had Premier League QPR at home if we’d won......

I went to the replay too. Cardiff took a lot of ratboy chavs, spoiling for aggro, from memory.

Wasn't this the season that they missed out on promotion...late Farnborough winner (or equaliser?).. I also went to Bromsgrove game. On the pitch celebrating, only to be told by chairman that promotion was off! Gutted.

8 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I went to the replay too. Cardiff took a lot of ratboy chavs, spoiling for aggro, from memory.

Wasn't this the season that they missed out on promotion...late Farnborough winner (or equaliser?).. I also went to Bromsgrove game. On the pitch celebrating, only to be told by chairman that promotion was off! Gutted.

Not sure I’m thinking of the same season, and very hazy, but I remember Leroy being the boss at the time, Farnborough finished top but couldn’t be promoted, Glos were 2nd and then got overtaken right at the end byCheltenham of all teams (managed by Cotts). I didn’t realise it mattered coming 2nd until later!

Then Cheltenham nicked our best players and the rest is history.

Mind you it’s FGR that really annoy me - just a pub team when I was growing up!

On 08/10/2020 at 12:15, TomF said:

Remember them battling it out with Cheltenham for promotion years ago. They lost out while Cheltenham went on a colossal rise up the pyramid

Didn't it go down to the wire? I remember being at the game where Cheltenham got confirmed as going up, and there was a pitch invasion (before the game was over). The commentator from Severn Sound went on a rant, saying that the fans didn't deserve promotion.

16 hours ago, BritAbroad said:

Didn't it go down to the wire? I remember being at the game where Cheltenham got confirmed as going up, and there was a pitch invasion (before the game was over). The commentator from Severn Sound went on a rant, saying that the fans didn't deserve promotion.

Last game of the season against Salisbury City. Gloucester City needed to win and they would go up above Cheltenham. Gresley Rovers were top of the league but their ground wasn't up to scratch so they couldn't go up. Gloucester City had an epic FA Trophy run that season - playing Dagenham and Redbridge three time in the semi-final (home, away and then a reply at a neutral group - the hell hole that is Slough Town). Fixture congestion meant they were playing three times a week, and they drew the last game of the season 2-2, meaning Cheltenham went up. 

There was a pitch invasion, plus the police helicopter was out. Not for the first time that season either ? Was a cracking time to be a Gloucester City fan despite the season finale, all under the management of one Leroy Rosenior. For me it was footy in Bristol one weekend, Gloucester the next. Away trips to Bishop Auckland, Worcester City and of course Cheltenham, and home attendances around 1,500 (4,000 in the Trophy semi). 

Was really looking forward to getting down Meadow Park this season and it seems especially cruel that after all the hard work and 13 years of exile the ground is now complete but we're not allowed in. Hopefully just another bump on the road for the Tigers. 

Away at Bromsgrove 1990-91. Gloucester City had fluffed at home to VS Rugby and only got a 2-2 draw, so went to Bromsgrove needing a win and Farnborough not winning at Atherstone.

Late winner for the Tigers..cue final whistle pitch invasion. Unfortunately Farnborough had got a very late winner, and promotion to Conference was thwarted. 

The chairman (Les Alderman?) came out with a mike and told the crowd. We had gone up on the train, so it was a pretty dismal walk back to the station.

Cracking winner  for Gloucester city on Saturday v chorley.quality free kick.be good to go back and watch them at meadow park .I went a few times at evesham last season and they have some really loyal fans that go home and away,pleased for them to be back home

Archived