IGNORED

England U21s

phantom

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Job for LJ? :fear:

Funnily enough I thought about it for 5 minutes before deciding definitely not. 

We didn't have a style of play under LJ, and whilst the likes of Brownhill and Reid developed a lot under his time here, I felt in the main he wasn't great for our youth. 

I feel Kelly was natural progression, granted he was one of the few LJ was brave enough to pick though! 

Feel that his style of management blaming individuals for losses wouldn't be great for young players either. 

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

We didn't have a style of play under LJ, and whilst the likes of Brownhill and Reid developed a lot under his time here, I felt in the main he wasn't great for our youth. 

I feel Kelly was natural progression, granted he was one of the few LJ was brave enough to pick though! 

Feel that his style of management blaming individuals for losses wouldn't be great for young players either. 

Completely different environment though

• Can't buy players, so must work with who is available, ie no blocking pathways for players as he's been accused of
  • Not having to perform over a 46 game season, often the lads involved aren't playing 90 mins every week, so when on camp could play a more intense style we saw briefly in 17/18 (I believe this is how LJ wanted to play). The seeming reason for this stopping was not being able to sustain it and burnout, when you look at the data it shows season on season change becoming less intense. Wanting an intensity we could play for 46 games.
  • As a coach, LJ's credentials are excellent, management has been questioned but I haven't seen many question him as a coach.
  • Innovative which could be useful in the development of players
  • I think with us he was a victim of clubs ambition of promotion and suffered from that, the pressure of promotion or you're gone pushed him to decisions. With England its about developing the players as the priority and then the winning of tournaments.

4 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Perfect assessment of LJ. I'll go further and say that Dean Holden has done more in two months for our Academy graduates than LJ did in four years.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I see that Eduardo Camavinga of Rennes has scored on his French debut...

I've watched him in Ligue 1 a couple of times and he just looks so classy.

Remember the name...

Football manager players are already well aware ?

36 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Perfect assessment of LJ. I'll go further and say that Dean Holden has done more in two months for our Academy graduates than LJ did in four years.

How? Vyner and Bakinson have clearly benefited from loan spells, O'Leary too I suspect, Walsh & Morrell we are yet to see this season but having both won Player of the Season at their respective clubs last season most have high hopes for them too.

Bobby Reid was heading down the well trodden path to non-league before LJ worked with him and moved him up front, Joe Bryan has become a Premier League full-back...both are now set for life financially. Llyod Kelly was given his chance, only played a handful of games and was sold for £17m??

In addition to our own academy players he took Brownhill for £200k and sold him for £8m, Webster became a 20m centre-back, Tammy's career has gone from strength to strength, Marlon Pack became a top-end Championship midfielder we got £4m for.

Of course he wasn't solely responsible for all of this the players of course worked hard and MA ensured we got the best possible deal in each case but we have never seen this type of repeated continual development previously under any previous manager so he must have been doing something right.

I would say Holden is benefitting from LJ's development of these players, LJ wasn't perfect but he did a good job in building seriously strong foundations for this club to move forward from in terms of young talent ready to play as well as financially.

Yes he overcomplicated things to the point we had no idea of how we wanted to play in the end but we were still competitive even without playing particularly good football but lets not revise history just to bash him.

9 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

How? Vyner and Bakinson have clearly benefited from loan spells, O'Leary too I suspect, Walsh & Morrell we are yet to see this season but having both won Player of the Season at their respective clubs last season most have high hopes for them too.

Bobby Reid was heading down the well trodden path to non-league before LJ worked with him and moved him up front, Joe Bryan has become a Premier League full-back...both are now set for life financially. Llyod Kelly was given his chance, only played a handful of games and was sold for £17m??

In addition to our own academy players he took Brownhill for £200k and sold him for £8m, Webster became a 20m centre-back, Tammy's career has gone from strength to strength, Marlon Pack became a top-end Championship midfielder we got £4m for.

Of course he wasn't solely responsible for all of this the players of course worked hard and MA ensured we got the best possible deal in each case but we have never seen this type of repeated continual development previously under any previous manager so he must have been doing something right.

I would say Holden is benefitting from LJ's development of these players, LJ wasn't perfect but he did a good job in building seriously strong foundations for this club to move forward from in terms of young talent ready to play as well as financially.

Yes he overcomplicated things to the point we had no idea of how we wanted to play in the end but we were still competitive even without playing particularly good football but lets not revise history just to bash him.

Tammy would’ve done just as well elsewhere. The more game time that boy gets the better he becomes. Once again I’ll say fair play to LJ for putting his trust in an 18 yo in the champ though. 

Pack was also sold for about 500k wasn’t he? don’t think it’s anywhere near 4 million. 

Are we really going to give him the credit for players who develop out on loan like Walsh/Morrell? 

Zero interest

Can't even get excited about the full England team. It's not because we don't win trophies... I just don't feel connected to it. 

We have a 8 club Wembley seats at work and can't give them away. Most people go once and then don't bother again. 

I'm a club supporter and always have been. I hate the international break.

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Tammy would’ve done just as well elsewhere. The more game time that boy gets the better he becomes. Once again I’ll say fair play to LJ for putting his trust in an 18 yo in the champ though. 

At the time I think LJ had to put across the case for Tammy to join City and he put the work in and met his parents etc to build the trust so sounds like he was fairly influential in making that happen.  He probably would've done just as well anywhere else, except Leeds maybe...

13 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Dean has played Moore, Vyner and Bakinson but that's in part due to his hands being tied. 

Bakinson wouldn't of got a sniff if we didn't have midfield injuries, and Vyner too if Baker and Kalas were fit. 

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Pack was also sold for about 500k wasn’t he? don’t think it’s anywhere near 4 million. 

Are we really going to give him the credit for players who develop out on loan like Walsh/Morrell? 

Believe it was up to £4m....just misrepresented in media because it was also staged payments over the course of the deal.

Edit: Just checked - Ali Dryden reported £750k initial fee (Cheltenham got about £130k of the £650k profit).

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Zero interest

Can't even get excited about the full England team. It's not because we don't win trophies... I just don't feel connected to it. 

We have a 8 club Wembley seats at work and can't give them away. Most people go once and then don't bother again. 

Agree that I have no excitement towards England and its very rare these days for me to watch them outside of the World Cup/Euro's. I still enjoy those tournaments but mainly for the overall viewing and although I want to see them England win its a small part of what interests me about the tournaments. However I feel anything above a 16 team Euro's and a 32 team World Cup has/will ruin the enjoyment of them. As for England I think the best thing they could do to spark more peoples interest again is to stop playing at Wembley and start touring the country again, watching them on the TV at Wembley is generally a boring sterile experience, shame there's no crowd tonight as England v Wales actually could have been much better to be fair.

10 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Agree that I have no excitement towards England and its very rare these days for me to watch them outside of the World Cup/Euro's. I still enjoy those tournaments but mainly for the overall viewing and although I want to see them England win its a small part of what interests me about the tournaments. However I feel anything above a 16 team Euro's and a 32 team World Cup has/will ruin the enjoyment of them. As for England I think the best thing they could do to spark more peoples interest again is to stop playing at Wembley and start touring the country again, watching them on the TV at Wembley is generally a boring sterile experience, shame there's no crowd tonight as England v Wales actually could have been much better to be fair.

This is something they recently started doing and it definitely improved things. Wembley is terrible, it truly is. 

I can't find any reference to it now, but I believe we were even in the running for one of the more recent games. Would love to see England play at Ashton Gate. 

15 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I used to watch every England game, but now unless it’s an important qualifier or tournament I can take it or leave it.  Tonight I will watch to see how Joe Morrell gets on (if picked).

4 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Zero interest

There certainly seem to be a lot of fans swerving Wembley at the moment. Time to move Southgate on?

On 07/10/2020 at 17:09, 2015 said:

Is Aidy Boothroyd seriously the best we can hope for at U21 level?

Seem to remember his Watford sides were very anti football.

After the "success" we've had promoting Southgate - he'll probably be the next senior team manager. ?‍♂️

Archived