IGNORED

5 In A Row!

mozo

Away to Barnsley in 10 days time sees an opportunity to notch a 5th consecutive league win.

That would be a hell of an achievement!

Streaky Lee of course managed it...

2019-20 LJ secured 4 wins in a row in a run of 6 wins in 8 games (Jan & Feb).

2018-19 we got 7 wins in a row, similar time of year, and including Forest and Stoke!

2017-18 only 4, again in winter and again including Forest.

2014-15 as L1 champs, we bagged 5 in a row twice.

2008-09 in October of the play off season, we only managed 4 in a row, with goals from players such as Trundle, McIndoe, Sproule and Byfield (oh the memories...)

I think we only managed 5 in the glorious 1989-90 season n all.

So what I'm saying is...it don't happen often!

With Williams, Walsh, Morrell, Kalas and DaSilva back Holden has a hell of a squad to choose from, but I guess we expect a very similar side again?

2 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

We done about 9 or 10 in a row a few years back, can’t remember the season but it ended with a 1 nill defeat at Sheff Weds, i was there and we had the whole of the away end, both sections!

Would that have been all comps? 

7 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

We done about 9 or 10 in a row a few years back, can’t remember the season but it ended with a 1 nill defeat at Sheff Weds, i was there and we had the whole of the away end, both sections!

11 wins a row under Danny Wilson in 2003/04, as you say, ended by a 1-0 defeat at Hillsborough.

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

11 wins a row under Danny Wilson in 2003/04, as you say, ended by a 1-0 defeat at Hillsborough.

Last minute winner at our end, if I recall correctly?

League One though, obviously.

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

That was the play off final season in the old Division 2. Amazing that we won 11 on the spin!

Streaky Danny won 11, then lost 5 of the next 7.

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

That was the play off final season in the old Division 2. Amazing that we won 11 on the spin!

Streaky Danny won 11, then lost 5 of the next 7.

Looking at that table for the season, there are 6 clubs in there that are now non-league and another 2 or 3 that have been non-league and since returned to the EFL. 

How we didn't go up in 03/04 with 11 wins in a row in League 1 never fails to amaze me really given the fact QPR gave us so many opportunities to nick 2nd place. Well and truly blew it. Would have been interesting how we'd have done in Championship under Wilson.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

With Williams, Walsh, Morrell, Kalas and DaSilva back Holden has a hell of a squad to choose from, but I guess we expect a very similar side again?

If they train well and look amazing who knows?  Never change a winning side but with big guns available ? 
But not  going off topic the winning run will end for sure, Barnsley though? I would really fancy us to win at Oakwell. It’s never really that happy a hunting ground for is. Time to put record straight. 

27 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

If they train well and look amazing who knows?  Never change a winning side but with big guns available ? 
But not  going off topic the winning run will end for sure, Barnsley though? I would really fancy us to win at Oakwell. It’s never really that happy a hunting ground for is. Time to put record straight. 

Staying unbeaten against Barnsley and Boro would be nice. That's at least 14 points from 6 games prior to Swansea home and Bournemouth away.

Edit: Kalas and DaSilva straight in?

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Was definitely league. 

Ended at Sheffield Wednesday with about 6000 of us there. 

Was 11 in a row. Cannot believe we didn't go up that year. 

Love those clips. Some good goals too.

Great to see Lita breaking through and  sniffing out goals everywhere he could.

In one game we had Marvin Brown on one wing and big brother Aaron on the other.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Away to Barnsley in 10 days time sees an opportunity to notch a 5th consecutive league win.

That would be a hell of an achievement!

Streaky Lee of course managed it...

2019-20 LJ secured 4 wins in a row in a run of 6 wins in 8 games (Jan & Feb).

2018-19 we got 7 wins in a row, similar time of year, and including Forest and Stoke!

2017-18 only 4, again in winter and again including Forest.

2014-15 as L1 champs, we bagged 5 in a row twice.

2008-09 in October of the play off season, we only managed 4 in a row, with goals from players such as Trundle, McIndoe, Sproule and Byfield (oh the memories...)

I think we only managed 5 in the glorious 1989-90 season n all.

So what I'm saying is...it don't happen often!

I recalled a streak in the 1997/8 season that was ended with a defeat at Fulham. Having checked, all in it was an unbeaten, rather than winning, run. Still we managed 8 wins in a row during that time.

1586524400_Screenshot2020-10-07111330.jpg.40a1ad65efbabf9d8247dc67053ea08a.jpg

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

Staying unbeaten against Barnsley and Boro would be nice. That's at least 14 points from 6 games prior to Swansea home and Bournemouth away.

Edit: Kalas and DaSilva straight in?

Love those clips. Some good goals too.

Great to see Lita breaking through and  sniffing out goals everywhere he could.

In one game we had Marvin Brown on one wing and big brother Aaron on the other.

It’s a great vid, I don’t think too many know about it cause when you search ‘Bristol City’ or whatever it rarely comes up. Only 9000 odd views!

Lita had a great leap on him! 

I remember being up at Grimsby the night we won 2-1 with a late winner, it was absolutely freezing! 

Thats the first side I proper remember at City. 

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Wrexham had the best away form in the League, but they became City’s 11th consecutive victory. The run of victories had to end eventually, and it came at Hillsborough.  Miller had a fine goal disallowed by a referee who was at the bottom of the ratings register.  Three minutes of stoppage time were signalled, but the ref allowed the game to continue after this time had elapsed.  Wednesday were awarded a throw in deep in City’s half and the ball was headed past Phillips.  

I think also it is just so disappointing no one is coming in the stadium to see this in the flesh !

I wonder if the players relax a bit more without the moans and groans, not that there would be many at present time.  
it is even worse to imagine a promotion season to the promised land and apart from robins TV you don’t get to see it. that is a reality as well until a vaccine arrives 

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

I was there also.... Do you remember the ice outside ? I remember Wednesday fans throwing ice at us on the way out.

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Was that Jon Ward promotion season? 97-98?

No, Danny Wilson.

We.lost 1-0 header late in the game

20 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

It’s a great vid, I don’t think too many know about it cause when you search ‘Bristol City’ or whatever it rarely comes up. Only 9000 odd views!

Lita had a great leap on him! 

I remember being up at Grimsby the night we won 2-1 with a late winner, it was absolutely freezing! 

Thats the first side I proper remember at City. 

I went to see win at Grimsby around that time, on a horrendous pitch and we nicked a win. Might have been the following season though cos I thought it had been a 1-0.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

How we didn't go up in 03/04 with 11 wins in a row in League 1 never fails to amaze me really given the fact QPR gave us so many opportunities to nick 2nd place. Well and truly blew it. Would have been interesting how we'd have done in Championship under Wilson.

Given how cr*p Wilson was in League One, I dread to think what he’d have been like in the Championship!  Not getting promotion with the resources he had for four successive seasons must go down as quite an achievement.  Absolutely useless.

3 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Not at this level though. 

4 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Danny Wilson produced the best football I can remember seeing at AG.. very entertaining and thrilling to watch. 
Such a shame he didn’t win anything with City..............:disapointed2se:

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Danny Wilson produced the best football I can remember seeing at AG.. very entertaining and thrilling to watch. 
Such a shame he didn’t win anything with City..............:disapointed2se:

Joe Jordan for me....Gavin, Smith, Taylor and Turner (or Ferguson).

Archived