IGNORED

5 In A Row!

mozo

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Joe Jordan for me....Gavin, Smith, Taylor and Turner (or Ferguson).

Marco Van Gavin and Smudge. Open end with unsafe standing... jumpers for goalposts and top players with XR3 Ghia's.

Beryl, Bovril and the bogs that even rats avoided. Turnstiles that winded you and excitement waiting for the Evening Post.

Where did it all go wrong?

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Marco Van Gavin and Smudge. Open end with unsafe standing... jumpers for goalposts and top players with XR3 Ghia's.

Beryl, Bovril and the bogs that even rats avoided. Turnstiles that winded you and excitement waiting for the Evening Post.

Where did it all go wrong?

Joe left for Hearts.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Joe left for Hearts.

I'll never forget buying the EP and seeing that on the back page- I even remember the newsagents in Bath where I bought it. It was like losing your job and the love of your life at the same moment and staring into the abyss. He was the the last Manager I really cared about leaving!!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Joe Jordan for me....Gavin, Smith, Taylor and Turner (or Ferguson).

Great side under Joe but that side under Wilson played superb football at that level. Really should have gone up that season, if i remember rightly we beat Brighton 4/1 away and then never turned up for the play off final.

If we had turned up that day Wilson would have been revered by the fans. As it is will always be remembered as another failure.

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Given how cr*p Wilson was in League One, I dread to think what he’d have been like in the Championship!  Not getting promotion with the resources he had for four successive seasons must go down as quite an achievement.  Absolutely useless.

Funny how people see things, I think the football played under Danny Wilson was probably the best I’ve seen in my 40+ years of watching City. No, he didn’t get us the promotion we desired, but the football was fantastic to watch.

14 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Great side under Joe but that side under Wilson played superb football at that level. Really should have gone up that season, if i remember rightly we beat Brighton 4/1 away and then never turned up for the play off final.

If we had turned up that day Wilson would have been revered by the fans. As it is will always be remembered as another failure.

Team of bottlers that never won when it mattered, remember 2 home games late on that season (possibly Brighton & QPR from memory?) we didn’t win either.

That summed up Wilson, brilliant win ratio, because he never managed us at a decent level.

13 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Funny how people see things, I think the football played under Danny Wilson was probably the best I’ve seen in my 40+ years of watching City. No, he didn’t get us the promotion we desired, but the football was fantastic to watch.

I've no doubt we'd have been promoted if he'd have sorted out the drinking culture at the time. What that squad got away with was incredible.

21 hours ago, 2015 said:

How we didn't go up in 03/04 with 11 wins in a row in League 1 never fails to amaze me really given the fact QPR gave us so many opportunities to nick 2nd place. Well and truly blew it. Would have been interesting how we'd have done in Championship under Wilson.

Most people remember the miller miss at Swindon but The one game I remember vividly was the 0-0 at home to Brighton, news filtered that qpr were losing, had we won that you know what wouldn't have happened :(

of course as you say there were many other opportunities too!

6 minutes ago, bissellredhead said:

Most people remember the miller miss at Swindon but The one game I remember vividly was the 0-0 at home to Brighton, news filtered that qpr were losing, had we won that you know what wouldn't have happened :(

That Brighton game was the one where we f**ked it up. Everyone was celebrating at FT that Plymouth had beat them and yet we'd royally stuffed up ourselves. We also lost to Luton the game before (we got it back to 2-2 in injury time then still lost it) having beaten Plymouth & QPR. We were masters of our own downfall.

21 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It's a funny old game because, in hindsight, I think you're pretty accurate.

I guess the Cardiff Final experience , for me, sort of over rode anything else DW did. The best moment was in the lead up to kick off when the football keepy-uppy gymnast in City colours was hugely better than his Brighton opposite.

Strangely, I was more affected by that loss than my experience of Hull at Wembley.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I guess the Cardiff Final experience , for me, sort of over rode anything else DW did. The best moment was in the lead up to kick off when the football keepy-uppy gymnast in City colours was hugely better than his Brighton opposite.

Strangely, I was more affected by that loss than my experience of Hull at Wembley.

Both terrible games.

15 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

That's because even though Hull were also pretty average, it was a bit surreal to be there. Didn't really sink in what an opportunity missed until 3 years later when we entered perpetual decline.

23 hours ago, bissellredhead said:

the 3-2 defeat at Luton. The 3 defeats in a row against Oldham, Tranmere and Port Vale. 1-1 home draw vs bottom placed Wycombe. SO many opportunities.
We forget in 02/03 we lost at Chesterfield for a chance to get into the automatics and had a terrible run in the Jan/Feb. 
01/02 we were top going into the New year and ended... 7th! 

I have no doubt City at their best under Wilson were a fantastic side to watch, but that's all we had. We didn't have that 25 goal a season striker or some nasty players bar Tommy Doc in there to keep us going when we needed it. City in League 1 will always wrack up a big win percentage no matter who is in charge (Bar SOD) , because of this Wilson can never be regarded as a great City manager. GJ did what he did within 2 years with in my opinion less talented players.

2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

That's because even though Hull were also pretty average, it was a bit surreal to be there. Didn't really sink in what an opportunity missed until 3 years later when we entered perpetual decline.

Fair point although the general improvements of the past few seasons have,imo, halted that decline 

On 08/10/2020 at 21:14, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Me too. I half expected to lose against Hull - you know when you get that feeling when you go to a game and you just know you`re not going to win it? Well. that was me that day.

The problem with Brighton was that we were just so ******* inept it was embarrassing.

Archived