IGNORED

Spitting Image

phantom

No, don't have Britbox although there is an offer on EE at the moment making it free. Will probably activate it at the weekend.

Can't understand why they'd put it on there tbh. If it wasn't for the EE offer, I certainly wouldn't be paying for that service just to watch Spitting Image.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not a single laugh from me on the 6 sketches I watched.  Would be very surprised if it’s popular 

I've no idea why they'd invest so much in resurrecting the show only to broadcast it on such a random channel. 

Possibly everyone else was afraid to get behind it,but surely you'd want it made available to as many as possible. 

I guess the other thing it could be like Taskmaster (but not as many series), build up a massive fanbase then sell it to a terrestrial broadcaster? 

I did chuckle within the first minute, but that was because Prince Andrew got whacked in the head.... then I was dead as a doornail for the next 15 minutes thinking "wtf is this?" (especially trumps arse making a tweet) and then I switched off, didnt bother with the rest.

Boring, trying too hard.

7 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Hard to write satire when the politicians are satirical in real life

Certainly that. But also a lot more competition out there now. Anyone who has the technology on their phone or laptop can do a satire segment now, whereas back in the day, spitting image was new and nothing else was like it. 

Plus so many different shows bash on trump that it's nothing that has not been heard before. Probably would have been funnier 4 years ago. 

Loved it back in the day, it was edgy and dared to say things that no one else would. Now I guess much of the content can be found almost everywhere, puppets aside which is obviously much of the point of this show.

I thought it tried too hard too

• Admin
15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Klopps from last week is pretty bang on

The sketch with him in bed was about the nearest thing to comedy this week. 

99% of it was about American politics. 

A random sketch about Greta Thunberg becoming a West Ham fan, some odd Elon Musk scenes (and obligatory song) and a splattering of UK politics. 

On 28/10/2020 at 21:45, phantom said:

Latest episode on ITV1 this Saturday night. 

As if it wasn't about US politics enough, this episode is dedicated to the American elections 

It was everything I remember from the past, very hit and miss but very low on hits. I also thought the voices were very poor compared to the past, having heard some excellent "Trumps" I was really disappointed in the quality of his impression in particular. 

I haven't seen it but in its first run it was hardly classic TV.

Episodes one and to a lesser extent two were jaw droppingly funny because of the shock value of the puppets.  You just had to laugh at the Queen Mother one - nobody had done anything like that before.

After that effect had worn off you could tell that the budget had all gone on making the puppets rather than the scriptwriters and it became simply dull and relying upon a handful of themes repeated time after time ("Isn't Ronald Reagan old and losing his marbles - tee hee?").

I'm unsurprised to read that the new one has gone the same way: all the money on the puppets and nothing on the scripts.

Archived