IGNORED

Man City Chief Executive brings up B teams again

Lrrr

Complains about there being no way to develop youngsters in English football leagues, complains the German teams buy them and try to rob you selling them back for 10 times as much, this coming after EPPP robbed the EFL clubs of their brightest prospect pooling them at the top rather than allowing the best to rise to the top by being bought and clubs properly compensated for losing talent. Look at how attendances dropped upon the B teams entry into the EFL trophy, it would be horrible for them to enter the leagues, do they play their home games at a training ground? If B teams were ever to enter the leagues so many fans would turn against league football and its despicable that Soriano is using Covid financial situation to bring it up again.

Look how the Checkatrade trophy has been totally devalued by allowing Prem and Championship U21 teams in it, it would kill L1 & L2.

If you want your reserves to play you either loan them out or give them a chance in the Prem rather than spaff millions on buying from France, Italy, Spain etc.

Not got a huge amount of sympathy for bank-rolled success a la Man City, and I have no time for teams like Chelsea who have made a business on loan market youngsters who'll never make their 1st team.

38 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Look how the Checkatrade trophy has been totally devalued by allowing Prem and Championship U21 teams in it, it would kill L1 & L2.

If you want your reserves to play you either loan them out or give them a chance in the Prem rather than spaff millions on buying from France, Italy, Spain etc.

Not got a huge amount of sympathy for bank-rolled success a la Man City, and I have no time for teams like Chelsea who have made a business on loan market youngsters who'll never make their 1st team.

Or maybe don’t pinch them from EFL or other country’s Academies in the first place!

This is what I wrote on the transfer forum about recently relegated clubs being able to look at the prospect of signing circa £30million valued William Saliba on loan:

”It’s ridiculous how the City director is talking about putting B teams in the EFL and relegated teams can still afford things like this thought parachute payments. It’s ridiculous that they are still allowed.

Cut these clubs off at the knees.”

Well see how mad spending goes when Prem clubs realise they will be in deep s*** if they get relegated. If the Prem won’t support the EFL as it should then fine, let’s ban the support they receive for having competed in the premier league when they come into the EFL. Then everyone bar the top 6 will soon realise that change has to come about and making the pyramid more sustainable is key.

54 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Utter joke of an idea.

Man City are owned by a country, or an Emirate to be exact, which is wealthly beyond comprehension.

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I’m more than happy for clubs like Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd etc etc to just pizz off to a European super league, then the rest of us can get back to a more level playing field. 

I know it’s not a popular opinion, but I hate the Premier league with a passion. 

I don’t hate it, but if some clubs really want a Euro Super League, just bugger off and do it.

Football needs a reset.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t hate it, but if some clubs really want a Euro Super League, just bugger off and do it.

Football needs a reset.

Definitely Dave, the Premier league clubs have spent £1.2 billion during this latest transfer window, while at the same time laying off staff to save money, you couldn’t make it up. 

Arsenal made 55 people redundant, then spent £45 million on a player two days ago, it’s scandalous imo. 

Soriano is typical of foreign owners in general. They do not think football exists outside the Prem. They have no understanding of what football clubs mean to the football fan and the transitions in our country. They probably have no idea that there are 92 league clubs . 

47 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Every club should be mandated to play at least 8 UK players. Far too many foreign mercenaries.

That would mean they would take even more academy players from the EFL. Many of whom would have a career in the EFL but disappear without trace at gazillions united.

I would rather see a three division league structure than have B teams pad things out. 

It works in Holland, but was abandoned in Spain....If the FA seriously want to consider this option they need to look at these two leagues to see why/how it can work and why it ultimately failed in Spain (B-teams moved over to Segunda B league instead of Segunda).

Ultimately it would be a very hard sell to the majority of English football fans.

Isn't part of the problem that the Premier league went and created their own reserve league. 

I recall when I started watching City almost 30 years ago that the Football Combination was a strong reserve league made up of regional teams regardless of division and mid week games were quite well attended. 

That all went down the pan when the Prem got all up themselves and created their own league. 

It will never happen as it won't get enough support. Sick of these foreign owners trying to rip up and destroy traditions of English football, it's the best league system in the world. Go own a club in Spain if you feel so strongly about B teams...

If the super rich EPL teams want to start competitive B team matches they either need to start an EPL B league which I doubt many will want to watch. 

Or they need to start at the bottom of the football pyramid and work their way up as per any other new or semi pro club. 

2 hours ago, Red Alert said:

If the super rich EPL teams want to start competitive B team matches they either need to start an EPL B league which I doubt many will want to watch. 

Or they need to start at the bottom of the football pyramid and work their way up as per any other new or semi pro club. 

There's already a "PL2" league. It's basically the U23s league for prem clubs. I'd humbly suggest that Mr Soriano invest in that if he's so keen to develop Man City's horde of youngsters.

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Isn't part of the problem that the Premier league went and created their own reserve league. 

I recall when I started watching City almost 30 years ago that the Football Combination was a strong reserve league made up of regional teams regardless of division and mid week games were quite well attended. 

That all went down the pan when the Prem got all up themselves and created their own league. 

Yep, they’ve never quite bridged the gap between the likes of the Football Combination and the Pontins League (Midlands upwards) and what they have now in u23 football or the PL Youth equivalent.

Exacerbated in recent years with the revised loan system being only 6 or 12 month loans.

16 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Complains about there being no way to develop youngsters in English football leagues, complains the German teams buy them and try to rob you selling them back for 10 times as much, this coming after EPPP robbed the EFL clubs of their brightest prospect pooling them at the top rather than allowing the best to rise to the top by being bought and clubs properly compensated for losing talent. Look at how attendances dropped upon the B teams entry into the EFL trophy, it would be horrible for them to enter the leagues, do they play their home games at a training ground? If B teams were ever to enter the leagues so many fans would turn against league football and its despicable that Soriano is using Covid financial situation to bring it up again.

Soriano has a very thin point about losing young English players to German clubs, who sell them back at extortionate prices, but he completely overlooks lower league clubs who have their best young talents poached for peanuts and then stagnate at clubs like Man City. Herbie Kane is a prime example. If those players got chances at their clubs, like those who did at Chelsea last season, they wouldn't be looking to play in Germany to launch their careers. 

Replacing EFL clubs who have been around for a century or more with PL B teams would be a complete and utter disgrace. Spanish football doesn't have the culture we've grown over the last hundreds years, which is exactly why B teams are a bad idea. I would lose complete interest in football as it would make promotion/relegation virtually impossible. You bring a star through, he's sold to Man City for millions, only to sit in their B team - piss take. 

34 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

with the lack of fans i've noticed the gap between Premier and Champ has narrowed in terms of watchability, from the few games i've seen anyway. VAR is killing the PL, need to scrap it and put faith in refs. I dread the day it comes to the Champ. 

The Day the Championship comes under PL control as Premier League 2 is the day VAR gets introduced.

The Man City guy is an idiot (a rich one, granted, but still a complete idiot). B teams in the League structure in this country will literally kill three quarters of the Professional Game and the remaining quarter will then slowly die anyway. I know for a fact that I and many others will not be watching City play Manchester City B..............under any circumstances whatsoever. I would rather go and watch Weston Super Mare every other week or Bristol Manor Farm.

The guy is an idiot. 
Bought Sancho from Watford for circa 500k and sold him for 8m. A hefty profit for someone who they weren’t willing to give a chance to in the Prem. Now he’s worth 70m+ it’s all ‘poor little Man City’. They are not a club that develops players, they would much rather buy established players from abroad. 
Chelsea are the same. Hoover up talent from all over the country and then sell them on at a profit without giving them a chance (and before people start pointing out Tammy Mount James are getting games, the only reason they got a chance last season is Chelsea’s transfer ban for .....150 rule breaches involving academy players)

The power the Premier League have and try to exert over the EFL really pisses me off. 
I’d like to see them push the ‘good for the. national team argument’. When 9 of the starting 11 for England last night played in the EFL and arguably learned their trade there. 

No B Teams, not now, not ever. 

Rant over. 

Archived