IGNORED

Dean Holden Interview

And Its Smith

Beat me to it. Perfect lunchtime listening.

Great interview tbh. Holden is easy for the interviewer as you ask him a question and off he goes, he really is a talker.

For me it was interesting he used the word 'chaotic' to describe the days after LJ's departure, says it rattled him a bit and he needed a day or two to get is head back level. 

He knows the name of everyone interviewed, and all the details of the questions. Said of course he's very proud o have the job - and I suspect he is given he knows he's been chosen over and above the likes of Hughton and Cook.

Finally it seems as though the 352 with the two 'number 8's' of Weimann and Paterson was something of a happy accident. Holden says that playing that v Hull was a case of "who's fit and how can they fit into an XI". We won, players like it, so we've kept it.

Even if you don't normally listen it's well worth it. It is right at the start of the programme, and about ten minutes of your time.

What I really like, apart from all the things above, is that he doesn’t take any personal glory - it’s all down to the players, the staff, etc.

Even the Pato / Weimann partnership he played down as “they were the only ones available” - I’m sure there was more to it than that.

So much to like.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What I really like, apart from all the things above, is that he doesn’t take any personal glory - it’s all down to the players, the staff, etc.

Even the Pato / Weimann partnership he played down as “they were the only ones available” - I’m sure there was more to it than that.

So much to like.

I wonder if LJ and Holden really shared the same opinions? Complete opposites so far from what I can see.

50 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I wonder if LJ and Holden really shared the same opinions? Complete opposites so far from what I can see.

It certainly does, although it makes me wonder even more about the 3-way dynamic with Macca too.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve done a fair bit of LJ bashing, but I still think he did a good job overall.  Just went stale imho.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It certainly does, although it makes me wonder even more about the 3-way dynamic with Macca too.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve done a fair bit of LJ bashing, but I still think he did a good job overall.  Just went stale imho.

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I noticed he talked about his time with LJ and talked of building a relationship, ( rather than a friendship ) 

He seems very straightforward and honest to me and I’m not convinced they would have aligned on a number of things

9 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I noticed he talked about his time with LJ and talked of building a relationship, ( rather than a friendship ) 

He seems very straightforward and honest to me and I’m not convinced they would have aligned on a number of things

It’s a bit of breath for fresh air. Party because I never liked LJ and his bullshit.

Onwards and upwards I suppose.

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I wonder if he was brought in as an alternative voice, a "check" in the decision making? I have said before that I get the impression that LJ started to believe his own press and maybe stopped involving the others in key decisions.

LJ took over in Feb 16.  Initially had Pemberton alongside him.  Holden joined in November 16.  Pembo got the boot in March 17, and McAllister who comes back earlier with the u23s was promoted to be the other assistant head coach.

22 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Perhaps DH, while having the final say, welcomes and heeds input from his coaching team. 

I'm not saying LJ didn't, but in the latter part of his time, and as he felt under greater pressure, did it become more of a dictatorial approach, expecting his coaches to go along with his decisions without question? 

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

It’s a bit of breath for fresh air. Party because I never liked LJ and his bullshit.

Onwards and upwards I suppose.

In fairness, LJ bought a new, modern approach to coaching and it did make a difference in terms off "small margins". 

I think as time went by he increasingly believed his own publicity and lost sight of the bigger picture. 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In fairness, LJ bought a new, modern approach to coaching and it did make a difference in terms off "small margins". 

I think as time went by he increasingly believed his own publicity and lost sight of the bigger picture. 

A case of overthinking everything and trying to micro-manage every aspect of the game IMO. Losing sight of the bigger picture is about right I think.

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

A case of overthinking everything and trying to micro-manage every aspect of the game IMO. Losing sight of the bigger picture is about right I think.

DH's approach seems to be "what is the best way to get a result?" 

LJ's increasingly felt like "what is the best way for me to look like a clever and inventive coach?" 

14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

DH's approach seems to be "what is the best way to get a result?" 

LJ's increasingly felt like "what is the best way for me to look like a clever and inventive coach?" 

More than one way to skin a cat.

To say LJ cared more about his reputation than City’s results is, for me, nonsense.

Yes LJ went stale, and may have lost his way at the end, but I’m sorry, every manager knows you live or die by your results.

I believe LJ did everything he could, in the way he thought best (rightly or wrongly) to get the results for the club - apart from anything else, good results increase chance of promotion and he will have known that’s the best way to make him look like a clever and inventive coach.

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I think in many ways the Man United victory and the two impressive performances against Man City were both the best and worst thing that happened for Lee and his journey

Let's not forget we were 2nd in the league on boxing day that year. So he didn't just live off those cups games. 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Let's not forget we were 2nd in the league on boxing day that year. So he didn't just live off those cups games. 

No , was thinking of his mindset and approach

He understandably had a lot of publicity , and praise nationally and was very much in vogue with the media

I wonder how that affected him and whether it instilled over confidence , maybe arrogance and belief in all his ideas / views 

There was talk of players feeling he took the spotlight and became a bit ‘Billy Big B******’’

Archived