IGNORED

Why City? What keeps you interested?

Chairman Mao

We all support Bristol City for a lot of different reasons. But I am intrigued to know what keeps you going? For me, while the atmosphere away from home and the thrill of a last minute goal is satisfying there is an ultimate dream. Not the most realistic, but possible. Seeing Bristol City win a major trophy. Most likely a League or FA Cup. Wigan and Swansea have done it in the recent past. Why can't we?

I think if that were to happen I could die happy as a Bristol City fan. Plodding in the EPL Stoke style does nothing for me. That's why the League Cup run was so fun, and why it's been frustrating how poorly we have performed in cup competitions (Johnstons Paint aside...) throughout our history.

So what about you, why do you support Bristol City and, deep down, what is your one dream for the club?

why City? because my Dad took me down in 1971 and I watched us lose to Fulham.....but there was something about the sight and smell of a matchday which was different to anything I'd ever experienced before. I've visited 50 odd grounds over the years, but home is home and always will be. What keeps me going? Habit. Brand loyalty. The fact that everyone I know, knows I'm a City fan and are happy to chat about it, whether the follow Swindon, Gas, Saints or Derby. There's something about the club that says, one day, maybe.....but I'm hardened to disappointment. 

The best I could realistically expect from us.... an EPL spot for a year or two....maybe a Carabao Cup win.....

25 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

We all support Bristol City for a lot of different reasons. But I am intrigued to know what keeps you going? For me, while the atmosphere away from home and the thrill of a last minute goal is satisfying there is an ultimate dream. Not the most realistic, but possible. Seeing Bristol City win a major trophy. Most likely a League or FA Cup. Wigan and Swansea have done it in the recent past. Why can't we?

I think if that were to happen I could die happy as a Bristol City fan. Plodding in the EPL Stoke style does nothing for me. That's why the League Cup run was so fun, and why it's been frustrating how poorly we have performed in cup competitions (Johnstons Paint aside...) throughout our history.

So what about you, why do you support Bristol City and, deep down, what is your one dream for the club?

A friend of mine is Uruguayan and supports Peñarol: we agreed some years ago that when Bristol City play them in the final of the FIFA Club World Cup, we'd meet up wherever the game is played. Still waiting.

26 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

why City? because my Dad took me down in 1971 and I watched us lose to Fulham.....but there was something about the sight and smell of a matchday which was different to anything I'd ever experienced before. I've visited 50 odd grounds over the years, but home is home and always will be. What keeps me going? Habit. Brand loyalty. The fact that everyone I know, knows I'm a City fan and are happy to chat about it, whether the follow Swindon, Gas, Saints or Derby. There's something about the club that says, one day, maybe.....but I'm hardened to disappointment. 

The best I could realistically expect from us.... an EPL spot for a year or two....maybe a Carabao Cup win.....

This

Apart from the year (1986) this is my story and my best hope

I often look at fans of (insert generic FL club who haven't been in PL) and wonder why them? What keeps you going? Same as me, I guess. It's get in your blood

It can't be explained. It's like an illness you can't get rid of. Once you're infected, it stays forever 

The highs make you feel so good, you accept the lows on the basis the next great moment could be just around the corner 

It's being part of something. Feeling a little tribal I guess. "Us against them" 

Following on from previous generations, keeping tradition alive and kicking.

I genuinely think one of my happiest memories was going to AG with my dad as a young boy. Night games , walking hand in hand as an 8 year being allowed to stay up late.

Something magical, special and truly unique.

I wouldn't swap city for any team, ever. I'll follow regardless. It's too late for me ?

My Dad was a fan and a regular in the 60s and 70s - possibly late 50s onwards in fact - but, if I'm being honest, whilst I was a City fan when I was younger, I followed other teams (first Plymouth and then Sheffield Wednesday) as much as or more than City until I was 15 or 16 - I think because I quite liked being different to everyone else in school - and, whilst I was always City rather than Rovers and went to the odd game, it wasn't until I moved away from Bristol that I really became a fan to the extent that I am now.

In terms of why, I think it's because it keeps me connected with the place I grew up and, wherever I'm living, gives me a sense of "home" if that makes sense. I get to a lot more away games than I do home but there's just something about standing with a load of people supporting the same team and wanting the same thing that is pretty unbeatable as a feeling. And, in all honestly, it couldn't be anyone other than City it's in the blood.

As to what I want, I don't know really. I'd like us to be known as a team that play good football and it would be good to see us in the top flight at some point but, if I was in this for trophies or success, I'd be supporting someone else. And the Chelsea season ticket holders and Man City fans that I know aren't any happier than City fans are really - once you're winning things, it becomes a constant stress about not winning them rather than a point of celebration I quite like being away from the elite. 

It's in me blood. My dad and both grandfathers watched them, and I imagine my great-grandfathers did as every one of them worked in South Liberty Pit and lived either in Ashton or Bem.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of my great-great-grandfathers caught a game - they were all Bristolians - even though it might've been Bristol South End and Bedminster FC in their day.

City are part of my cultural identity you could say. Part of what makes me who I am.

33 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's in me blood. My dad and both grandfathers watched them, and I imagine my great-grandfathers did as every one of them worked in South Liberty Pit and lived either in Ashton or Bem.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of my great-great-grandfathers caught a game - they were all Bristolians - even though it might've been Bristol South End and Bedminster FC in their day.

City are part of my cultural identity you could say. Part of what makes me who I am.

Yep. It’s this.

My Dad is 80 next year & still goes (well, none of us actually do at present, but you get my drift), his Dad, who had it much harder (fought in WW2, lost both of his parents when young) did so too when he was still with us & he could afford it.

My family on my Dad’s side have been in South Bristol since the 1850s (in Somerset before that) & it is our club. So genuinely I don’t give a **** about Liverpool, Man United or the ones with the dubious foreign owners like Man City & Chelsea who have competed with them recently.

I grew up in East Bristol (even in the 70s it wasn’t ever blue, much more 50/50) before coming “home” to BS3 around 20 years ago.

My mum’s side of the family were/are Gas, but let’s not go there..

My Dad was born in London and his family split 50/50 Spurs and Arsenal. 

He is Arsenal. 

My Dad's first game was with the away fans Leyton Orient away at Rovers.

When he moved to Bristol he followed City because their colours matched Arsenal's. 

I'm the first one of my family born in Bristol, was taken to City as a young un 

My Dad was born and brought up in Tonypandy in the Rhondda. However, his father, my grandfather, was born in Claverham and taken to South Wales as a baby. So when Grandad went to Twickenham with his local rugby club to see Wales play England, he was the only one who supported England.

Dad born in 1903 was often brought to visit Grandad's brother in Coronation Road. If City were home, all the men went to watch at The Gate, so my Dad saw Billy Wedlock in his prime.

When Dad came to live in Bristol mid 1930's, he obviously went to watch City and he took me in April 1950. We also went to Bristol Rugby and Glos cricket the same year.

I've been hooked ever since. I'll never forgive him for all the wasted time, money and misery!

I'm now a sad old barsteward who is missing being at games. Would love to be there now with City unbeaten and Bris in a European Cup Final.

Was in Germany with my parents in Kiel, northern Germany. Went to their stadium and watched Holstein Kiel- Bristol City F.C. 0-2 Garland scored both. It was 3july 1970 preseason. First time I saw foreign team play live. Since then City is my team. Followed City in results and table. 2008 I made my first trip to the Gate, Wolves 0-0. Since then I go to Bristol twice a season and some awaygames Ive also been to. Best memory of them is Coventry away 3-1 win when we won the leauge. A couple of years ago we were 4 scandinavian Cityfanseho went to Weymouth and met Gerry Gow and his son, very nice people. Told Gerry about my first City game in Kiel, he smiley and said it was one of his first games in a City shirt, he had just signed his first contract. About 40-45 years later we meet in Weymouth, never forget. Internet, Robins TV and easy to travel to Bristol has done that my love for the Club is stronger and stronger. CP in playoff, that wondergoal by Noble, and the MU game 2-1 is pure happiness for me. Its only one team for me, have a Robin and B.C.F.C. tatoo on my left arm. Really hope that in my lifetime we will play in pl, If we dont, I still love City.

It just gets in your blood and you can`t stop. From my first game in 1975 and walking up the ramp into the EE for the first time I knew I was hooked - the sights and sounds made such an impression on a young lad from sleepy Taunton, it was like nothing I`d ever experienced before.

We change everything else in our lives from time to time but you NEVER change your football club. If we`d have gone bust in 1982 that would have been it for me - I couldn`t invest as much heart and soul in another club.

It's not voluntary to be fair! So much worry about how dopamine hits affect young children on Facebook/Instagram, but no one is worrying about the rush of a goal being scored is infecting our children's brains and setting them up for a life of disappointing 5 o'clocks and trips to places like Crewe.

You're not a true football fan until you wish you weren't.

12 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Why city because it was where I was born and raised and as for my one dream for the club I don’t really have one,just city winning is good enough for me

16 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Always been a City supporter since my first home game in season 70/71 so i would of been about 8 years old. It was a night game and I remember sitting on one of the railings in the east end. John Galley was my hero in these years. I went on then to never miss a home game for many seasons and my dad used to take me to each one. We tried all areas of the ground and the enclosure in front of the old grand stand ended up the area we watched from most. If it rained you could also find a spot at the back of the enclosure where the wall separated the enclosure from the then grand stand and just keep out of the rain.

I remember the years in the 1st Division and the Freight Rover trophy at Wembley will always stick in my mind as good memories. The best though was away to Coventry where it was 2-2 and the game got delayed for ten or so minutes and we stayed up that season and the last part of the game was weird as both teams just switched off as they knew they would not get relegated.

I moved to OZ in 1989 and every time I get back home I always make sure I get a home one in. Last one was home against Blackburn and we went down 2-0 and it was the start of the LJ bad run. Went in the lansdown upper tier then and I took my son to his first City game. 

I will always be red and the whole family back in Bristol are red and always will be.

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

When you say ‘ ginger’ I presume your talking about the colour of his hair and not Cockney rhyming slang ?

Cockney slang - ginger ‘engineer’ or later ‘q —-r” 

ah ah strawberry blonde - lighter shade of red.

the best strawberry blonde for me is simply red. The best band to ever come out of Manchester 

Archived