IGNORED

Why City? What keeps you interested?

Chairman Mao

Old man took me down in 1981/82 sat me on the wall in the enclosure and have gone ever since. It’s a huge part of my life . The people I’ve met over the years and the memories I got even though we have never really done anything have all been worth it . Even though we all have a moan we are lucky to have a club to support . 

Up the city 

Good thread, and funnily enough my motivation matches yours OP. All about the trophies. That’s what we play for after all. That’s why 14/15 was such a belter and 17/18 was so exciting. My main goal for City right now is to see us promoted of course, but as champions. City would be in credit with me for years if we managed that.

Couldn't agree more Red-Robbo. I believe you inherit the club you support from your father/grandfather/great grandfather (or mother/grandmother/great grandmother - lets not be sexist here!).

I must be older than you though as my grandfather was born before 'City' were 'born', so I am only '3rd generation City'. My son inherited City as his team and I will be devastated if my grandson (5 months) does not follow the family tradition!!

3 hours ago, Tonks55 said:

Couldn't agree more Red-Robbo. I believe you inherit the club you support from your father/grandfather/great grandfather (or mother/grandmother/great grandmother - lets not be sexist here!).

I must be older than you though as my grandfather was born before 'City' were 'born', so I am only '3rd generation City'. My son inherited City as his team and I will be devastated if my grandson (5 months) does not follow the family tradition!!

I expect your grandfather was sitting there waiting impatiently for City to be created!   :city:

Bit like they used to say on the front of the Evening Post: It was the club all Bristol wanted and helped create.  (Apart from some bitter losers from the Gloucestershire suburbs.)

My dad used to take me to crackers corner hence my user name which got me hooked, I always remember my first match was a midweek game Vs bury late 70s/early 80s where they had 3 away fans and away end (open end corner by dolman) was full of city fans. Also everyone in my school were glory hunting Liverpool fans back in early 80s which was too easy a d wrong unless from liverpool, and as per the new  posters on the bus stops state there is only one team in Bristol!

Easy choice.

To answer the original question there is a song that is sung, maybe not as often as it once was, but it ends with the line:

?"We'll follow 'til were dead, me boys, follow 'til we're dead"?

It's as simple as that really. Forty-five years on, many have come and gone, but I'm still here.

On 09/10/2020 at 13:03, One Team In Keynsham said:

A friend of mine is Uruguayan and supports Peñarol: we agreed some years ago that when Bristol City play them in the final of the FIFA Club World Cup, we'd meet up wherever the game is played. Still waiting.

Not sure why people laughed at this. If you ask me, Peñarol have every chance of making the FIFA Club World Cup one day...

None of my family liked football and I lived 60 miles away in West Somerset, so although I had a soft spot for Chelsea when I was about 6 I didn't have a proper team, other than the great Minehead team of the 70s.

Every morning doing my paper round I would read the back pages of the WDP, It was around 1975/76 and Bristol City were dominating the back pages, I was starting to get hooked.

Then came promotion to the top flight,they were now on the front pages too. Nearing the end of a long hot summer came the opening day of the season and now the boys in red (or black and white) were on match of the day, still the best MOTD ever.

Now I was properly hooked and had to get an uncle to take me to my first game, at 12 years old probably older than most debutants but that made it even better, no bored moments and wandering which player was which, I knew every player and would have happily stayed in the ground until midnight. Just walking around Ashton Gate before KO watching the crowds and those huge floodlight pylons was so exciting, the first chant that went up in the East end, around 2.15 I guess was ridicously more loud than I

I was on a high like I'd never experienced before, surely this is what it's like to take drugs. After narrow victory against QPR I knew this was a love that would last forever

I was always into my football with influence from the TV, even back in the 60's. First attended friendly matches with a boys club from Keynsham at eleven years old. Then taken to my first proper game against Halifax in an F A cup replay for a Birthday treat, Jan 1967. 24,000 under the lights, which you could see from dean lane on the cut as we walked towards Ashton Gate. The noise, the sights, the smoke billowing out from the grandstand, the toilet rolls from the East End, the roar as the goals went in, WOW, I was hooked.

Why do I keep going? The thrill of the occasional bubbly laughter/chuckle of excitement from inside, when we pull of a great result and the hope, that we one day realise our potential and start performing at the top table, where we could and in my opinion should be. Aim for the stars, don't be humble we can be a force, so start believing and help it happen. Can't stand defeatist talk, that only brings defeat.

For me, i have always loved the fact we're not a 'big club' it's all about locals. The best memories are when we are punching above our weight in some form or another, i mean I doubt Chelsea/utd/Lpool fans are unhappy when they win a cup, I just think it would mean an awful lot more to us. The palace playoff game at home in the last few minutes of extra time, better feeling than any big club fan winning the league could be. 

So in essence, I love the BCFC journey. 

This is making me misty eyed in my insomnia! Grew up in bedminster in the 80s, everyone was as skint as we were, managed to bug my dad to take me in about 85. He went when he was a kid in the late 50s but still takes a passing interest in the results. He wont go to games cause hes too tight with money to buy a ticket. And now its part of my identity. The players, the moments, the big results are all part of who i am.. and the worst thing is,,, ive passed it to my boy hes 11 now and training with the supporters club team.

the dream really for me is to see us have a season in the championship like we did with Cotterill. To utterly dominate it and get promoted with 100 points. To actually compete in the premier league is so far away from what ive been brought up on for 35 years that i dont really have visions of it ever happening. 

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

This is making me misty eyed in my insomnia! Grew up in bedminster in the 80s, everyone was as skint as we were, managed to bug my dad to take me in about 85. He went when he was a kid in the late 50s but still takes a passing interest in the results. He wont go to games cause hes too tight with money to buy a ticket. And now its part of my identity. The players, the moments, the big results are all part of who i am.. and the worst thing is,,, ive passed it to my boy hes 11 now and training with the supporters club team.

the dream really for me is to see us have a season in the championship like we did with Cotterill. To utterly dominate it and get promoted with 100 points. To actually compete in the premier league is so far away from what ive been brought up on for 35 years that i dont really have visions of it ever happening. 

Keep your vision as the Prem will happen soon. The years from 76 to 80 I will always remember the good times and the disappointing times. There were never really any bad times.

It’s born from a pride in where I’m from. The shared histories of your city, it’s people and it’s football club.

Its feels so more real supporting your team with family, friends, colleagues and people that you know and are where your from.

It has always felt like my club. I won’t take this thread elsewhere, but I honestly do not believe you can have that same deep, connection supporting Liverpool and living in Salisbury.

14 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

My Dad was a rovers fan went with when very young.

Then Christmas holidays 1967 aged 10 some mates were going down the city ground so went with them.

Beat Birmingham City massive crowd. That was it hooked 

My Dad had little interest in sport, let alone football. My Grandad loved football but as he lived on Muller Road he took me to Eastville when I was a nipper. 

In '67 I took myself to AG for a cup tie v Southampton. A huge crowd,  a City win and more excitement than I'd ever experienced got me hooked. 

As a 12 year old I went to AG for the first ever time with two school friends, their dad drove us to the match. Tbh, I only remember the buzz and the cola and only in recent times did I research who’d City played that day - it was Oxford and a 0-0 draw!

Went again the next match and all the remaining home matches that season and by then I’d caught the bug. I still have it.

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As a 12 year old I went to AG for the first ever time with two school friends, their dad drove us to the match. Tbh, I only remember the buzz and the cola and only in recent times did I research who’d City played that day - it was Oxford and a 0-0 draw!

Went again the next match and all the remaining home matches that season and by then I’d caught the bug. I still have it.

Should get to the doctors Robbored 

I was born in Dundry and my best mates were fans. Neither of my parents liked football so I wasn’t encouraged but the seeds were sown. 
In my late teens I could hardly go to a game because I worked in a pub every evening and Saturday afternoons, so I was a bit of an armchair fan. 
I started to go regularly in the 1980s, but that was short lived as I got a new job where I worked nights and weekends, so it was back to the armchair again for most games. 
After the kids arrived we moved to Swindon for work and I’ve been here ever since. I have been a member for the past 3-4 years and I suppose I attend on average about 6 home games and 3 away games each season. 

Dad was from London and a Palace fan. We moved to Bristol when I was young and one day he finally relented and said he'd take me to football. It just happened that City were at home that day. I've thanked someone up there for that every day since: if it had been a week later I'd probably be writing miserable whingeing letters moaning about an advert on a bus stop right now.

I'd like to see us win something (other than the Johnsons Paint!) or reach Europe for example - but I'm not honestly sure that would still be the pinnacle for me. For me it's those moments that happen maybe once every few years, whatever league you're in. The winner against Man U. The winner against Hartlepool. The winner against Mansfield. The draw at Coventry. 

Archived