IGNORED

Saturday 3PM TV Blackout Back?

Carey 6

Not seen anything official regarding this, but I've noticed on the Sky Sports website, no 3pm kick offs are listed to be shown on TV. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12002801/live-football-on-sky-sports-games-dates-kick-off-times

I've also seen today that Sky & BT are planning on making football matches available on PPV as well. Another cost for the TV supporting football fan!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8823013/Sky-Sports-BT-Sport-set-unveil-new-Premier-League-pay-view-service.html

I think the blackout rule should be binned whilst fans can't get into the grounds, but as soon as things are back to normal it should come back. 

Some say it's outdated, mainly hear it from fans of Premier League clubs but I think it's still needed to protect lower league clubs, and have people still continuing to play on a Saturday for their local non-league sides. 

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Not seen anything official regarding this, but I've noticed on the Sky Sports website, no 3pm kick offs are listed to be shown on TV. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12002801/live-football-on-sky-sports-games-dates-kick-off-times

I've also seen today that Sky & BT are planning on making football matches available on PPV as well. Another cost for the TV supporting football fan!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8823013/Sky-Sports-BT-Sport-set-unveil-new-Premier-League-pay-view-service.html

I think the blackout rule should be binned whilst fans can't get into the grounds, but as soon as things are back to normal it should come back. 

Some say it's outdated, mainly hear it from fans of Premier League clubs but I think it's still needed to protect lower league clubs, and have people still continuing to play on a Saturday for their local non-league sides. 

Sky making some games PPV would be the final nail in the coffin for me. I've kept my Sky Sports subscription going as I enjoy the coverage of the Championship, the odd Premier League game and having the cricket in the summer. I'm not paying more for things which were initially in my package and I could quite comfortably live without it. The biggest losers in the separation of sports packages are the consumers. 

37 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Noticed on that list it says our game with Bournemouth back end of the month is on the red button

Edit - And Boro, so are sky bringing back the red button rather having people on that then their clubs own streaming services?

39 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Now actually reading the article, I have no problem with it, Sky will still have their usual (pre-covid I assume) schedule of games. If you're premier league team isn't scheduled on their list of fixtures you can pay to watch your game, so no difference to RobinsTV style for us. Presumably would have sky quality production etc and if they chuck in punditry too not such a bad deal as long as the price is similar to what we pay for championship football. Not that I'd pay for Premier League football but for the fans its really no difference to what City fans have to do to watch each game as Sky are keeping their normal (pre-covid) service of games.

53 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

A mate of mine has a firestick , he watches every prem , elf game, all for £40 a year.

Matches in OCT will be PPV

However, it is football supporters who will feel the pinch of the new structure as MEN Sport understands that a fee of £14.95 per game will be the price for the streaming service.

That is £4.95 higher than the EFL’s iFollow, although that regularly attracts criticism for poor service and limited camera angles, which the Premier League will be determined to avoid upon launch.

Manchester United’s trip to Newcastle United a week on Saturday will be among the first pay-per-view games on Sky Box Office, with the fixture kicking off at 8pm.

14 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

A mate of mine has a firestick , he watches every prem , elf game, all for £40 a year.

You dont need to spend 40 quid a year. Just download a few things and there a multiple IPTV apps. Any sport you want, tonnes of footy. The Bein streams are usually the best.

49 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Noticed on that list it says our game with Bournemouth back end of the month is on the red button

Edit - And Boro, so are sky bringing back the red button rather having people on that then their clubs own streaming services?

They'll be on RobinsTV/IFollow etc as well.

Sky red button coverage will be basic - one camera, no replays, no graphics - whereas the club streams will be more comprehensive.

I think the most vocal opponents of the blackout are the Man Utd (and other big clubs) fans who don't go to games so want to watch the games on TV at that time. I wonder if there is that many people who will bin watching their local club play in order to watch Man Utd vs Norwich at home. The cost factor is probably on their side though.

As for sky box office having games that sounds like a bit of a piss take, I would have thought that Newcastle v Man Utd is a TV game every single year so it will be interesting to see if they change their usual picks in order to try get the better games on box office and maximise money, if they do then that's very poor (not that I expect much better from sky).

3 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I think the most vocal opponents of the blackout are the Man Utd (and other big clubs) fans who don't go to games so want to watch the games on TV at that time. I wonder if there is that many people who will bin watching their local club play in order to watch Man Utd vs Norwich at home. The cost factor is probably on their side though.

As for sky box office having games that sounds like a bit of a piss take, I would have thought that Newcastle v Man Utd is a TV game every single year so it will be interesting to see if they change their usual picks in order to try get the better games on box office and maximise money, if they do then that's very poor (not that I expect much better from sky).

To defend sky and bt here a bit it’s reported that the monies will go to the clubs to make up lost revenue, and the tv companies won’t profit

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

To defend sky and bt here a bit it’s reported that the monies will go to the clubs to make up lost revenue, and the tv companies won’t profit

Still if the subscription payers are going to be paying the same money for lower quality games then I don't think that's right.

It's almost as bad as when they put started putting less jaffa cakes in a pack.

56 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Sky red button coverage will be basic - one camera, no replays, no graphics - whereas the club streams will be more comprehensive.

Red button is £10 cheaper though ?

• Admin
59 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Hate to be arguementative, but I would be VERY surprised if they didn't use the same cameras etc

It will be the same broadcaster covering all the coverage

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Hate to be arguementative, but I would be VERY surprised if they didn't use the same cameras etc

It will be the same broadcaster covering all the coverage

The coverage all comes from the same source, yes.

The difference is that on the red button you only see one fixed camera angle throughout and no replays, whereas if you pay your tenner and watch the stream you'll get full coverage with replays, different angles, captions.

Games not selected for broadcast £14.95

Saturday 17 October

Everton v Liverpool - BT Sport (12:30 BST)

Chelsea v Southampton - PPV (15:00 BST)

Leicester City v Aston Villa - PPV (15:00 BST)

Newcastle v Manchester United - PPV (15:00 BST)

Sheffield United v Fulham - PPV (15:00 BST)

West Brom v Burnley - PPV (15:00 BST)

Manchester City v Arsenal - Sky Sports (17:30 BST)

Sunday 18 October

Crystal Palace v Brighton - Sky Sports (14:00 BST)

Tottenham v West Ham - Sky Sports (16:30 BST)

Monday 19 October

Leeds v Wolves - Sky Sports (20:00 BST)

Saturday 24 October

West Ham v Manchester City - BT Sport (12:30 BST)

Arsenal v Leicester - PPV (15:00 BST)

Aston Villa v Leeds - PPV (15:00 BST)

Brighton v West Brom - PPV (15:00 BST)

Fulham v Crystal Palace - PPV (15:00 BST)

Liverpool v Sheffield United - PPV (15:00 BST)

Manchester United v Chelsea - Sky Sports (17:30 BST)

Sunday 25 October

Southampton v Everton - Sky Sports (14:00 GMT)

Wolves v Newcastle - Sky Sports (16:30 GMT)

Monday 26 October

Burnley v Tottenham - Sky Sports (20:00 GMT)

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You dont need to spend 40 quid a year. Just download a few things and there a multiple IPTV apps. Any sport you want, tonnes of footy. The Bein streams are usually the best.

Thanks TTT

Can anyone share an idiots guide on how to do this (for someone of an older persuasion who isn't very computer savvy)?

?

In fairness to sky sports, their ppv are free to air for sky business subscribers. Your local, if it has sky business, only need to order the game through the sky website and it'll be available in said pub. I've just done it for ours today on the my sky sports website. Rare for sky business to be fair. 

16 hours ago, Clevedon Red said:

IPTV trending on Twitter as people look at alternatives.

Hopefully people who use these free streams rather than pay a reasonable fee for watching their clubs official streaming services won't be that bothered when clubs start going out of business because of not getting any revenue..! 

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Hopefully people who use these free streams rather than pay a reasonable fee for watching their clubs official streaming services won't be that bothered when clubs start going out of business because of not getting any revenue..! 

And which of these premier league clubs should we feel sorry for exactly, after they collectively spent £1.2 Billion? 

During a pandemic, when cash might be a bit tighter due to no fans, clubs still made staff redundant, but then and went and splashed £40+ million on 1 player (Arsenal) for example. Not exactly a sign that they're struggling, is it? 

Don't forget, this £15 a game is just for Premier league matches, this isn't to try and save the lower end football clubs such as Wycombe, rovers, Plymouth etc. 

If fans are already paying for amazon, bt and sky, I don't actually blame them for looking at 'alternatives' instead of having to pay even more. Its a total joke that they have the audacity to charge such a high amount, especially when a few months ago, these games were free. Would be a bit different if the clubs didn't spend much and are genuinely struggling. 

Just now, Akira said:

And which of these premier league clubs should we feel sorry for exactly, after they collectively spending £1.2 Billion? 

During a pandemic, when cash might be a bit tighter due to no fans, clubs still made staff redundant, but then and went and splashed £40+ million on 1 player (Arsenal). Not exactly a sign that they're struggling, is it? 

Don't forget, this £15 a game is just for Premier league matches, this isn't to try and save the lower end football clubs such as Wycombe, rovers, Plymouth etc. 

If fans are already paying for amazon, bt and sky, I don't actually blame them for looking at 'alternatives' instead of having to pay even more. Its a total joke that they have the audacity to charge such a high amount, especially when a few months ago, these games were free. Would be a bit different if the clubs didn't spend much and are genuinely struggling. 

I wasn't talking about the Premier league clubs. 

I meant people using free streams to avoid paying their tenner for Robins TV coverage and the like with every club outside the Premier league, who are all in debt and currently relying in little more than the charity of their owners. 

Hopefully it won't go on long enough for many to get into serious financial difficulty, but with restrictions increasing again and it looking increasingly likely that supporters won't be going through the turnstiles in any significant numbers before this season is completed, it baffles me how some people find alternatives to paying a reasonable £10 fee to watch and help support their clubs. 

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I wasn't talking about the Premier league clubs. 

I meant people using free streams to avoid paying their tenner for Robins TV coverage and the like with every club outside the Premier league, who are all in debt and currently relying in little more than the charity of their owners. 

Hopefully it won't go on long enough for many to get into serious financial difficulty, but with restrictions increasing again and it looking increasingly likely that supporters won't be going through the turnstiles in any significant numbers before this season is completed, it baffles me how some people find alternatives to paying a reasonable £10 fee to watch and help support their clubs. 

Whilst I appreciate that, IPTV is trending purely because of the announcement from the Premier league that they're going to make all games not aired on TV available for £15, so not really sure how that links with the lower league clubs. 

You'll always get people trying to stream games, no matter what team and what league. Whilst it might be 'reasonable' for you for £10 a game, there's an awful lot of people without jobs, who probably can't afford that, so they'll look at streaming illegally. Not saying it's right or wrong, but saying why they would. 

Certainly would see why anyone would stream the prem games though, because £15 a game, to me, doesn't seem reasonable, especially given the fact that prem games are on TV more than any other league. 

As Peter highlighted, if clubs all lived within their means, and didn't pay obscene wages and transfer fees, they shouldn't be in too much of a pickle. I had hoped that the 'bubble' would burst and football would change for the better, as it just couldn't go on as it was, but sadly that hasn't happened, and clubs continue to spent crazy amounts on players, agent fees and wages. 

Archived