IGNORED

Saturday 3PM TV Blackout Back?

Carey 6

In my simplistic world, and I’m happy to be educated on this one:

• premier league / clubs did a temporary deal with the broadcasters to show all prem games free until October
  • this would buy everyone a bit of time to understand covid progress (it’s gone the wrong way ☹️)
  • allow test events to happen, etc
  • clubs to decide their season ticket refund policy

they are now at a point where they (most clubs) are having to refund season tickets (game by game pro rata), and looking to find a way to lessen that impact.  The broadcasters have given them their infrastructure to provide a PPV offering, similar to iFollow / Robinstv, where they can make a few quid.

For season ticket holders, they can continue to watch their team...and club lessen the impact of refunds

For non-season ticket holders, it’s a new income stream.

The fuss imho is two-fold:

• £15 is too much
  • fans expecting all 10 fixtures per game week to continue for free

Of course there is an argument that prem clubs should be well-off enough via the money they get from the tv deal, but that is another argument re poor financial management and poor planning / risk mitigation.  It makes you wonder how many thought we’d be back inside stadiums approaching full capacity so soon.

Naive!

So taking season ticket holders.  If you get £40 refund each home game, and can now pay £15 to watch it on tv, is that so bad?

Now, taking non-season ticket holders, did you really expect all games (not just your own club) to be free forever?

Realiy want to understand the counter arguments.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So taking season ticket holders.  If you get £40 refund each home game, and can now pay £15 to watch it on tv, is that so bad?

I used this argument with er indoors earlier. £15 a match is a substantial saving on the usual combination of ticket price (or pro rata ST cost per game) plus commuting/parking costs plus beer plus food plus programme etc. 

i know £15 is a lot of money but if you would’ve gone pre Covid it’s relatively ok I think. A tenner for us (or £140 a season nudge nudge) per game on RobinsTV seems to have been accepted as fair, so Prem was always going to be more. 

The Prem, quite frankly, is a disgrace overall and needs a reset but is £15 a match that’s not on Sky that big a deal!?  

On 10/10/2020 at 01:19, grubby said:

In fairness to sky sports, their ppv are free to air for sky business subscribers. Your local, if it has sky business, only need to order the game through the sky website and it'll be available in said pub. I've just done it for ours today on the my sky sports website. Rare for sky business to be fair. 

Almost FAIR of them. If they werent such greedy gits in charging small pubs am absolute disgusting amount in the first place to broadcast the games. My local boozer £1000 a month, cant fit more than 30 blokes in the pub. Scum sky

1 hour ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Almost FAIR of them. If they werent such greedy gits in charging small pubs am absolute disgusting amount in the first place to broadcast the games. My local boozer £1000 a month, cant fit more than 30 blokes in the pub. Scum sky

I'm lucky in my rateable value is very low and I get a rural discount as well. Sky made a mess of my quote when I agreed to the contract 5 years ago and gave me too much discount, I had them agree on the contract call and after some tooing and frowing they felt duty bound to honour the contract. I should be paying around £400 a month but am paying £210 for 3 sky cards and both racing channels. Sky have to add £135 monthly onto to the bill to make it £210 which is their absolute minimum sky business charge. I use one of the cards upstairs for private use just don't get sky's on demand service. 

• Admin
On 12/10/2020 at 02:29, grubby said:

I'm lucky in my rateable value is very low and I get a rural discount as well. Sky made a mess of my quote when I agreed to the contract 5 years ago and gave me too much discount, I had them agree on the contract call and after some tooing and frowing they felt duty bound to honour the contract. I should be paying around £400 a month but am paying £210 for 3 sky cards and both racing channels. Sky have to add £135 monthly onto to the bill to make it £210 which is their absolute minimum sky business charge. I use one of the cards upstairs for private use just don't get sky's on demand service. 

Hi @grubby

Do you know if it is true that if the venue is a "sports venue" it is cheaper than a bar taking out a package?

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

Hi @grubby

Do you know if it is true that if the venue is a "sports venue" it is cheaper than a bar taking out a package?

I think football/rugby clubs do get some discount. If my oroce goes up I'll say I've got a rugby and football team based at the pub and try it. Fair play to BT sport but literally just had text come through to say that they aren't charging us for PL ppv either. 

Archived