IGNORED

Non league is brilliant!

Fordy62

On 11/10/2020 at 16:00, Lanterne Rouge said:

Are Newton Abbot Spurs still going? I always used to look out for their results in the Indy for some reason.

Always known as Newton Spurs. Newton Abbot have always had good sides, Newton Dynamos were a top side in the 70s and 80s.Changed their name later to Newton Abbot, and along with Spurs and a few others left the South Devon League to join the newly formed Devon league.

Newton Dynamos (Abbot) Moved from their ground at Centrax to coach road, built a clubhouse and had great facilities, but as happens a lot of times money dried up and they eventually folded.

Coach road is now the head quarters of the Devon FA.

When Spurs,Teignmouth,Dartmouth,Stoke Gabriel, Buckfasleigh left the South Devon Premier league was left with not a lot. The only top side that remained was Upton Athletic,as they were playing on a council pitch in Torquay there was no invitation for them.

This dispite them being the most successful in South Devon for years, winning the league on many times along with the Devon Premier cup. At one time early 80s they had 5 players in the County squad.

Anyway Lantern sorry to go off on a tangent, Spurs still going strong,have always had a good setup at the Rec. Running three Saturday teams and no doubt kids football will be strong . 

On 10/10/2020 at 22:41, Wealwayseatcheese said:

I love watching the lower leagues while AG is shut?. Much more freedom to enjoy the game with a pint and cig in hand , if you smoke that is. Been to watch Roman glass Sr George, Brinscombe and  Thrupp and Manor farm . Off to watch Manor Farm again on Tuesday in the FA Cup at the Creek. Get down and sample it , you won’t regret a trip to the creek and a chat with Tony the Scarecrow

Brinscombe and Thrupp is a gorgeous ground.

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

:laugh: I had heard that, best leave the CP jacket at home tonight then ?

Please check in after the match to let us know you're safe! ?:ph34r:

I think that quite a few people are finding non-league a refreshing change, less play-acting by players, good food at reasonable prices, can drink on the terraces - can be a good day/night out, as it's not been sanitised by the corporate mob (yet).  I speak from fairly recent experience! :blush:

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Anybody, here go when brislington, almost made it to the fa cup a few years ago?

I think they went out 1 round, before the 1st round, if memory serves correct.

I was there, beat Weston in the 3rd Qualifying round, nice £7500 for that win. I would say best result ever for the Club.

Then lost to Conference side Welling 1-0 in the 4th Qualifying round. Quite an eventful afternoon!

1 hour ago, TBW said:

If anyone wants to go to a Boreham Wood game sometime, I'll go with you.

I've watched the Wood a few times as my partner's family is from there. I go with her old man. 

We can't go up there at the moment as he is unofficially shielding from the virus, but I'll message you via here if I get to go to a game next year.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've watched the Wood a few times as my partner's family is from there. I go with her old man. 

We can't go up there at the moment as he is unofficially shielding from the virus, but I'll message you via here if I get to go to a game next year.

Niceee. I wasn't expecting anybody to take note of that at all.

I basically played as them in FM19 up to the year 2039 (so far - will go back to it eventually) and now have a slight affinity towards them.

9 hours ago, In the Net said:

Please check in after the match to let us know you're safe! ?:ph34r:

I think that quite a few people are finding non-league a refreshing change, less play-acting by players, good food at reasonable prices, can drink on the terraces - can be a good day/night out, as it's not been sanitised by the corporate mob (yet).  I speak from fairly recent experience! :blush:

Well, the rumours of Millwall definitely aren't true!

Brilliant atmosphere here though.

23 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Feel like I should apologise for Tony (the scarecrow) and his drum.

To be fair, some of us still have the scars from Millwall going to a non league ground!

Watch my 2 local sides Longwell green and Cadbree Heef sometimes , always a decent laugh.

Just now, The Horse With No Name said:

Lewis Carey ex City keeper in goal for Cray. Their number 15 in midfield looked a great player at that level. 

Thought their goalkeeper looked a bit dodgy tbh.

Mind you, Ben John wasnt having a great game for Farm before his red, and the sub who played the second half in goal goes back to Forest Green meaning Farm have no Keeper for their next game.

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Thought their goalkeeper looked a bit dodgy tbh.

Mind you, Ben John wasnt having a great game for Farm before his red, and the sub who played the second half in goal goes back to Forest Green meaning Farm have no Keeper for their next game.

That keeper was sent off a few weeks ago for something similar, and one of the regulars said he is a cage fighter , bit of a loose cannon. Sub keeper looked about 12 but  did OK second half.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

34 years old ? Wow.

3 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

That keeper was sent off a few weeks ago for something similar, and one of the regulars said he is a cage fighter , bit of a loose cannon. Sub keeper looked about 12 but  did OK second half.

34 years old ? Wow.

Ben John is a nice guy, but mental on the pitch.

Last season he punched a player to start a scrap to try and avoid a penalty being given.

Archived