IGNORED

English football reform being led by Liverpool and Man Utd

SedRA

What I don’t get is how they will get this through, They need 14 PL clubs to agree, seems they have 8, but why would the others vote for it ? The EFL would have no choice , as they need the money, but what do the “ non special status “ PL clubs get for backing the scheme?

Just now, Grey Fox said:

What I don’t get is how they will get this through, They need 14 PL clubs to agree, seems they have 8, but why would the others vote for it ? The EFL would have no choice , as they need the money, but what do the “ non special status “ PL clubs get for backing the scheme?

Yeah I can't see why the other teams would vote for something which effectively deprives them of any future say. 

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I can imagine Leeds having something to say on the matter. Imagine if they were excluded from the closed shop in favour of, say, Burnley.

Not to mention Villa!  Imagine Villa being relegated without parachute payments! 

12 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Quite, with around half the sides in the league being possible candidates for relegation each season (i.e noone wold be surprised if they got relegated) it would be like turkeys voting for christmas.

41 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

There's an obvious issue with the play off system, a premier league team will have played a 34 game season (plus FA cup), a championship will have played a 46 game season plus FA cup. Premier league team will be fresher for that 2 games. Will also mean the championship season will need to adjust to fit the finish of the premier league as well.

I'm guessing the EFL would continue through the Prem's winter break and play during CL midweek.

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They aren’t saying that the 18 will be the 18 longest serving Prem clubs are they? Only that the league will be reduced to 18

No they aren`t but it`s as good a solution as any to make up the numbers. At the end of the day, as long as the so-called big clubs get to play each other they won`t care about the rest. As others have said, can a European Super League be too far off? The sooner the better as far as I`m concerned and we can get back to a level playing field for the rest of us.

So is the money to fund this going to come from the bottom half of the prem's TV money? Might turn the prem into a bit of a non-competitive bore but I guess Man U and Liverpool etc won't mind because they will benefit from the lack of competition. As for the efl teams I hope they have the sense to say no (especially if the voting rights means the big clubs can bring in sweeping changes later) but I think the owners will be looking at the initial payment and deciding on that.

Football all over the world will reform in some way but I don't see this as the answer IMO.

I have said for a long time that a European Super League will happen and that English football will regroup accordingly.

Sadly, in all of this I can see several clubs folding never to be seen again. Luckily, we won't be one of them with the ownership structure we have in place.

Just now, BigTone said:

Football all over the world will reform in some way but I don't see this as the answer IMO.

I have said for a long time that a European Super League will happen and that English football will regroup accordingly.

Sadly, in all of this I can see several clubs folding never to be seen again. Luckily, we won't be one of them with the ownership structure we have in place.

Totally agree Tone. I`ve been saying for years that football was going to eat itself and Covid has just accelerated the inevitable. It will be well run clubs like us that ought to be able to ride out the storm that is coming.

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

Totally agree Tone. I`ve been saying for years that football was going to eat itself and Covid has just accelerated the inevitable. It will be well run clubs like us that ought to be able to ride out the storm that is coming.

Agree 100%

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Stick a %10 or even %5 levy / tax on all transfer fees 

The money to fund a football trust that could offer financial support to all Clubs and Football nationally (Interest free loans where applicable etc)

Premier League Clubs alone have spent nearly 1.5 Billion in the last window

That alone would raise £75 million for such a trust at a %5 levy

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Stick a %10 or even %5 levy / tax on all transfer fees 

The money to fund a football trust that could offer financial support to all Clubs and Football nationally (Interest free loans where applicable etc)

Premier League Clubs alone have spent nearly 1.5 Billion in the last window

That alone would raise £75 million for such a trust at a %5 levy

Get the bloodsucking agents to pay a levy too and you could probably double that.

I genuinely look forward to the day one of the so called big six go bust. With the lack of corporate events they can hold , it only needs a year or two of non champions league football and finance will bite. The greed and self importance of these clubs shows no ending 

One of my other favourite sports was Formula One. That is a classic example of the wrong things that can happen when a governing body allows the teams to have "special status" for an arbitrary reason. 

Man City were playing in the third division before they were purchased by a country to fund their rise. 

Until last season Liverpool had won Les Premier league titles than Leicester City. 

There's absolutely nothing to say that when their rich owners and corporations get bored the so called big six could find themselves back down among the rest. 

It doesn't matter how tempting the package they dangle in front of people, the whole idea is to enrich themselves otherwise they wouldn't want that special status clause. 

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Project Big Picture: The key proposals of Premier League overhaul revealed
Full breakdown of how new proposals will shape finances, infrastructure and governance

Rescue Fund
An immediate rescue fund of £350,000,000 to the English Football League and Football Association for lost revenues of 2019/20 and 2020/21...

For the EFL:
£50,000,000 to cover 2019/20 EFL matchday losses;

Up to £200,000,000 available to cover 2020/21 EFL matchday losses;

Money will be advanced to the EFL from increased future revenues.

For the FA:
£100,000,000 in grants, made up of £55,000,000 to cover operational losses, £25,000,000 for clubs below the EFL, £10,000,000 for the Women’s Super League and Championship, £10,000,000 for grassroots

Funds to be made available by the Premier League through loans guaranteed by the clubs.

Infrastructure Plan
Infrastructure funding of 6% of Premier League gross revenues to be distributed annually to the top four divisions.

Each club will receive £100 per seat annually.

Infrastructure funding can only be used for stadia and fan experiences.

Fan Charter
A cap of £20 on Premier League away ticketing (adjusted every 3 years for inflation)

Subsidised Premier League away travel

Safe-standing sections at the discretion of each club, subject to government permission.

Away sections must provide at least 3,000 or 8% of capacity, whichever is higher.

Annual Good Causes
An increase of 66% in annual contributions to good causes in England.

A total of 5% of Premier League gross income to be contributed annually to good causes and grassroots football, to include focus on combatting racism and discrimination.

Redistribution of Media & Sponsorship Revenues (three possible options)
Option A: 50% equal, 25% current-year merit, 25% previous 3-year merit

A greater emphasis will be placed on merit in both the Premier League and the Championship with half of payments reflecting positions over the past four years.

Option B: Current Premier League distribution scheme (50% equal, 25% by merit and 25% by facility fees) but newly promoted clubs must holdback £25m of first two years in the Premier League to mitigate risk of relegation.

Option ? Current Premier League distribution scheme, but newly promoted clubs receive 25% of their allocated Facility Fees for first 3 years in league.

For all above options:
Excluding parachute payments and including new infrastructure payments, solidarity from the Premier League to the English Football League would increase from 4% to 25%.

Premier League and English Football League domestic and international media rights will be collectively sold by the Premier League.

Compensation payments to The EFL and FA, infrastructure monies and related borrowings are deducted prior to determination of distributable revenues.

Pyramid structure
The Premier League, originally formed to house 18 clubs,would be reduced from 20 to 18 clubs.

This would free up the calendar and, with fewer teams and an end to parachute payments, provide additional resources to the EFL.

Reduction from 38 to 34 rounds of matches will also aid the national team.

Championships, League One and League Two to all be made up of 24 clubs

Promotion and relegation
Premier League relegation. At least 2 clubs automatically relegated annually

Championship promotion: 1st and 2nd automatically promoted.

Club finishing 16th in the Premier League joins four team Championship play-off tournament with teams who finish 3rd, 4th and 5th. Semi-finals would be 16th place PL team vs 5th place Championships team nad 3rd place Championship team against 4th place Championship team.

Championship relegation – 3 clubs

Leagues One and Two: promotion of 3 clubs. Relegation of 4 clubs

Club media
All Premier League clubs have the exclusive rights to sell eight live matches a season directly to fans via their own digital platforms in all international territories.

All Premier League and Championship clubs allowed to show limited in-match highlights on their own digital platforms.

No more than 27 games per club will be shown live in UK per season

Saturday 3pm broadcast blackouts remain to help protect EFL attendance

Other competitions
League Cup and Community Shield discontinued;

Establishment of a new independent league for the Women’s professional game, not to be owned by the Premier League or The Football Association;

FA Cup replays retained but there will be no replays in the winter break;

Premier League begins later in August and pre-season friendlies extended;

No more than two weeks between the end of the Premier League and the Champions League final;

Premier League clubs must participate at least once every five years in the Premier League summer tournament.

Other structural changes
Elite Player Performance Plan funding is included in the revenue received by EFL clubs;

Clubs in League One and below are no longer required to have an academy;

Clubs permitted to have up to 15 players out on loan domestically at any time, including up to four in a single English club. Introduction of one month loans for players under 23, an ability to recall loanees in the event of managerial change, incentivise loanee clubs through payments based on future performance or sale of loaned players;

Remove the scholarship clause permitting players to terminate at any stage.

Cost Controls & Related Party Income
Financial Fair Play rules that align with Uefa to ensure English clubs are not at a disadvantage in Europe;

A £50 million cap per annum on all related party transactions and a more stringent ‘related party’ definition;

Premier League executive provided with full access to clubs accounting information to investigate cost control

A joint Premier League and Championship body will monitor cost controls.

The English Football League will introduce hard salary caps.

Governance
All material matters relating to the business of the Premier League will require shareholder approval, except that the Board will decide whether to approve a new owner;

All votes will require more than two-thirds majority to be approved;

All other votes for the operation of the Premier League will be one-club, one-vote except those provided for under ‘Special Voting Rights’

Special Voting Rights
Each of the nine clubs who, at any time of determination, have been members of the Premier League continuously for more seasons than other clubs will be considered a ‘Long-Term Shareholder’.

Two-thirds of the long-term shareholders can cause to be adopted without approval from the other clubs:
i) the election or removal of the CEO and/or a member of the board;
ii) amendments to cost control rules and regulations;
iii) contracts for the sale of league broadcasting and media rights

Two-thirds of the long-term shareholders can prevent from being adopted resolutions to:
i) change the distribution rights of the sponsorship, commercial and broadcasting rights sold centrally;
ii) change the distribution to clubs from other PL centralised rights or assets
c) alter in a material way the nature of the competition

Two-thirds of the long-term shareholders can veto the Premier League board’s approval of a proposed new owner.

Nah . 
:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Need to digest this for a bit before drawing conclusions. I don’t like the protected club status and it looks like it’s going to be even harder to get to PL. Having said that the removal of parachute payments makes it more of a level playing field. Hmmm

Nor do I, but I suspect the big clubs have been dictating plenty of it for years!

2 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

Says a Liverpool fan ;)

In all seriousness though, there are lots of questions in the detail about this which will need answering.

On the face of this article though, I wouldn't want to be one of the 2 teams relegated when this new system starts and Parachute payments are cancelled. 

I do like the idea of an annual fee paid to the pyramid although I'm sure there will be some more specific clauses that benefit the PL - nothing in life is free.

Wonder if it be be done over 2 seasons?

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

But what does your heart tell you?

That football is in a mess, and some money is needed from somewhere.  It feels like the PL is making it tempting, but taking advantage at the same time!

48 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Will all this money be distributed evenly among every football league club?

Nope, very unlikely.  Champ gets more now than Lg1, and Lg1 gets more than Lg2.  Expect that will continue, but percentages may change.

At first I thought it was shocking. However after reading, it's only the special status that I don't like. I like the playoff idea, scrapping the league Cup and charity shield. Also the funding for the EFL would be great... 

The special status would need an impartial final decision to stop stupid rules being introduced by those top 9 elite clubs. 

Other than that I can only see things that will benefit the game here. 

From the Guardian, 

16:17

Today’s big talking point in football, at least in England, is Operation Let’s Take Advantage of a Pandemic to Fix Everything In Our Favour Forever, or Project Big Picture as it’s proponents would like us to know it:

So Liverpool and Man Utd. Anything that wealthy Americans cook up, in my book, is a bad idea.

2 hours ago, daored said:

I genuinely look forward to the day one of the so called big six go bust. With the lack of corporate events they can hold , it only needs a year or two of non champions league football and finance will bite. The greed and self importance of these clubs shows no ending 

They did and have only just crawled their way back....Leeds Utd.

Archived