IGNORED

English football reform being led by Liverpool and Man Utd

SedRA

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Cue Premier league 2 for the next 18/20 clubs ( which should include us). The rest of the EFL could then be regionalised. There have been worse proposals.

I don’t think the PL want to dilute their tv money any further ???

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Why is scrapping the charity shield a thing?

It’s a nice season opener.

Cup winners v league winners.

What’s not too like?

An owner who can make millions by their club playing in Asia instead ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think the PL want to dilute their tv money any further ???

Noticed it said EFL rights would be negotiated in conjunction with PL TV rights, would imagine EFL TV rights would get a big boost being negotiated by them

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Noticed it said EFL rights would be negotiated in conjunction with PL TV rights, would imagine EFL TV rights would get a big boost being negotiated by them

All we need to do is give complete control to Liverpool.

Let’s hope they never get relegated, like Man City, Aston Villa, Leeds, Forest and so on

23 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Theoretically yes.  Who knows whether the last tv deal was the end of the gravy train though?  That’s my worry, irrespective of who is doing the negotiations.

58 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Cue Premier league 2 for the next 18/20 clubs ( which should include us). The rest of the EFL could then be regionalised. There have been worse proposals.

I think going back to north and south for the bottom 2 divisions might be the only way forward . Less travel , bigger crowds .....

2 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I think going back to north and south for the bottom 2 divisions might be the only way forward . Less travel , bigger crowds .....

Whenever north/south is suggested I always can`t help thinking if an east/west split would be better given the road network in this country? I`m sure Gillingham would rather go to say, Lincoln than Exeter and Plymouth would find getting to Rochdale easier than Cambridge for instance.

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

The cynic in me refuses to accept the Premier League clubs, particularly the big 6, would do anything that benefits anyone but them. Defo voting for the Leopard Eating Faces Party, and then being surprised a leopard ate your face, scenario. 

Turkey's voting for Christmas

I'm not a huge fan of this proposal

Worrying part for me is the only 26 games can be on tv and 8 will then be on PPV. 

If the clubs get power to control tv rights then give it a few years and there will be more and more games on PPV  and hardly any on TV. This would mean EFL clubs will get 25% of nothing instead of the 25% of a collective figure.

This would be bad for the EFL and the big 6 will be raking it in selling each game on PPV round the world and smaller clubs in PL will be worse off.

EFL getting more funding seems like a good idea, if all were run like ours! Unfortunately, pumping more money into the problem won't fix it. We need to be careful who we trust to run our clubs. As for this clause, it's clearly a problem. English football is great because Leicester can win the EPL a short time after we beat them in the league. I just don't see what needs fixing, expect the regulations on what owners can do. 

Big NO from me. Please leave the game alone. 

On the face of it having read it briefly, some very interesting proposals.

How would the revision to promotion and relegation work? Bottom 2 down from PL, top 2 up from Championship- but then how would the playoff system work?

I'm a bit surprised about the financial regulations point because our ones are meant to allow for in-season monitoring. If the PL and Football League ones aligned then both have the right to monitor in season as per their own regulations- whether it's been done particularly is a different issue!

On the financial point, capping RPTs to £50m is a novel idea! Does it mean e.g. the profit or the market value- therefore selling Hillsborough for £60m, Villa Park for £56.7m and Pride Park for £81.1m- in theory if it's the profit being capped then in theory they'd be aok, but if it's the price- Profit of Hillsborough- DOWN £10m, Profit of Villa Park- DOWN £6.7m and Profit of Pride Park- DOWN £31.1M. Such transactions wouldn't help them in Europe anyway as UEFA rule automatically disallow such profits from their calculations. Other RPTs than just asset sale and leasebacks though.

No Parachute Payments is great though I've always had the view that they should in the first instance be significantly reformed rather than scrapped, the financial chasm is there after all.

Oh and I forgot- reduction to 18??

27 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Worrying part for me is the only 26 games can be on tv and 8 will then be on PPV. 

If the clubs get power to control tv rights then give it a few years and there will be more and more games on PPV  and hardly any on TV. This would mean EFL clubs will get 25% of nothing instead of the 25% of a collective figure.

This would be bad for the EFL and the big 6 will be raking it in selling each game on PPV round the world and smaller clubs in PL will be worse off.

Agreed. I think that when you consider the various parts,and how they interlink, this is the biggest danger in the long term.

The short term rescue is nice for the EFL, and 25% of current numbers is attractive. But giving the power to negotiate and decide the TV deals to the club's that find themselves in TV the most - that's dangerous. As you point out, it will all come down to what the 'revenue' is defined. I'd be happier if there was a fixed amount, plus perhaps a percentage uplift. That fixed amount to be reviewed and adjusted in line with inflation every few years.

I'm also sceptical of the new play off for promotion. I believe some European leagues have similar, and the Premier League team wins 90% of the time - so in effect is a method of reducing the annual churn from 3 to 2 clubs.

Ultimately it's a clever package, seems to include just enough sugar to help wash down the poison.

23 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I think we need to understand the difference between 1) the current temporary PPV offering announced the other day, which is based on clubs trying to create an income stream (and little to do with sky / bt) and 2) a future tv deal from sky and bt involving PPV where the revenue stream is sky and BT’s.  They are very different, and in 2) you’d expect any money earned would be included in the split.  Don’t forget sky / bt subscription model needs a number of live games included in our package or else we’d all cancel.

I genuinely do not think a “25% of nothing” scenario results.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the face of it having read it briefly, some very interesting proposals.

How would the revision to promotion and relegation work? Bottom 2 down from PL, top 2 up from Championship- but then how would the playoff system work?

3rd, 4th and 5th playoff against the team one above the bottom two.  It’s like it used to be when the playoffs first came into being.  Remember 1988 when we played Sheffield United.

I'm a bit surprised about the financial regulations point because our ones are meant to allow for in-season monitoring. If the PL and Football League ones aligned then both have the right to monitor in season as per their own regulations- whether it's been done particularly is a different issue!

On the financial point, capping RPTs to £50m is a novel idea! Does it mean e.g. the profit or the market value- therefore selling Hillsborough for £60m, Villa Park for £56.7m and Pride Park for £81.1m- in theory if it's the profit being capped then in theory they'd be aok, but if it's the price- Profit of Hillsborough- DOWN £10m, Profit of Villa Park- DOWN £6.7m and Profit of Pride Park- DOWN £31.1M. Such transactions wouldn't help them in Europe anyway as UEFA rule automatically disallow such profits from their calculations. Other RPTs than just asset sale and leasebacks though.

that grabbed my attention too.  Loophole closed immediately.

Also UEFA losses are more stringent that both PL and Champ, so some clubs are gonna have to do better to be compliant.

No Parachute Payments is great though I've always had the view that they should in the first instance be significantly reformed rather than scrapped, the financial chasm is there after all.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

16th Prem vs 5th Champ

3rd Champ vs 4th Champ

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Exactly! Not good! Not good at all!

Nope, but neither is many more going bust.

Id rather the PL weren’t taking advantage of the situation....perhaps the government feel so strongly (as per the DCMS statement earlier) that they decide to step in.  Fat chance!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Nope, but neither is many more going bust.

Id rather the PL weren’t taking advantage of the situation....perhaps the government feel so strongly (as per the DCMS statement earlier) that they decide to step in.  Fat chance!

Agreed- Devil and Deep Blue Sea.

Perhaps Damian Collins can push for some intervention- what have the FA been doing this last 20-25 years?? They've got a Golden Share in the PL and yet??

i'd say odds against it passing, as it'd need to pass a number of hurdles- PL majority vote for one.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we need to understand the difference between 1) the current temporary PPV offering announced the other day, which is based on clubs trying to create an income stream (and little to do with sky / bt) and 2) a future tv deal from sky and bt involving PPV where the revenue stream is sky and BT’s.  They are very different, and in 2) you’d expect any money earned would be included in the split.  Don’t forget sky / bt subscription model needs a number of live games included in our package or else we’d all cancel.

I genuinely do not think a “25% of nothing” scenario results.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Club media
All Premier League clubs have the exclusive rights to sell eight live matches a season directly to fans via their own digital platforms in all international territories.

All Premier League and Championship clubs allowed to show limited in-match highlights on their own digital platforms.

No more than 27 games per club will be shown live in UK per season

Saturday 3pm broadcast blackouts remain to help protect EFL attendance

This is the part I was referring to

Each club at the moment can sell minimum of 8 games 

If they decide they want to be on only 10 times a season then the tv deal will go down in price for big clubs aren’t being shown and the 25% will go down EFL clubs get. 

Archived