IGNORED

The cure for insomnia

Robin Wood

20 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Sums England up, passing back to defence, Dier received the ball, does a pass to the right to Walker and tells Walker to pass back to Pickford, even though there was no pressure on Walker.

This game is calling for a Sancho and a Grealish.

We aren’t a very good team are we.  We are ok, we have decent individuals but rarely look a team.  Belgium are well structured, have good players who know what they’re doing.  They are happy to defend when they have to, but know they have a plan to exploit England when they have to ball.  We try to play like we are the best in the world, we don’t respect teams like Belgium.  In reality a draw is a good result.  But we ought to be able to play a better style in achieving results.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Very poor. The left side looks awful. Trippier obviously being left footed, but more importantly I don't think he's the answer in the side at all.

Rashford very poor. Deny him space and he will often lose it when trying to do his tricks. So often doesn't play well for England.

Maguire been okay but left of a back 3 I was hoping I would never see again. Dier been weak. Rice and Henderson neither are playmakers.

We look best when we go long. Now it is 1-1 we should go long more and when we do want to keep possession try and do it further up the pitch. I predict we will give away a goal by playing around with it at the back poorly.

I am not sure what Southgate is thinking with this. We should really go back to basics and go 4141 or something similar. Get 3 hard working midfielders in there and I don't see why 4 at the back should be less solid than 5. If anything it should be more solid.

How does that correlate?  Are Rice and Henderson 2 of the 3 hardworking midfielders in your alternate system?

11 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Christ - beating no1 ranked side in world without Sterling and Kane starting. What a joke England are. 

Some of the negativity when we were 1-0 down (eg on the BBC live text feed) was staggering. Playing the number 1 ranked side in the world - and missing a number of our more creative / offensive players - yet we still managed to dig out a win with a much improved second half performance.

We had a dodgy spell of 20 minutes or so in the first half when we looked second best by some distance (against, let’s not forget, the number 1 ranked side in the world), but improved towards the end of the first half, and then improved again significantly in the second half. And won. And yet still some people try to outdo each other with negative, sniping comments about how awful everything was. 

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You weren’t watching the last World Cup then?

I don't remember the games being fun. A fun team to watch.

The actual team playing exciting football.

Not "It's fun to see us in a semi final after several really dull games"

Not sure what people were expecting vs Belgium. You aren't going to batter them for 90 minutes - they have KDB who aside from the obvious 2 is the best player in the world.

If Southgate can improve the tactics, like he did today 2nd half, then England have one hell of a chance at the euros.

Archived