IGNORED

The cure for insomnia

Robin Wood

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Fair play far better second half. We looked far more organised.

Rice was like a different player second half.

Walker was very good most of the game, but still concerning that he switches off at times.

Mount i was very impressed with. Amazing work rate he has. Doesn't stop running.

Rashford worked hard but poor I thought. 

Calvert-Lewin a very good back up option to Kane. Didn't have a lot of service but looked dangerous.

Trent was a bit disappointing. Dodgy defensively. I am sure others will be pushing him as we have a number of talented right back/right wing backs.

A great result really with a couple of key players missing.

Funny how we see the game differently. I thought he was non-existent for the majority of the game and offered virtually nothing. Deflected goal aside!

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Christ - beating no1 ranked side in world without Sterling and Kane starting. What a joke England are. 

Spot on. Embarrassing comments on here.

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Absolutely diabolical, but what do you expect with that fraud in charge

Oops.

47 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Some of the negativity when we were 1-0 down (eg on the BBC live text feed) was staggering. Playing the number 1 ranked side in the world - and missing a number of our more creative / offensive players - yet we still managed to dig out a win with a much improved second half performance.

We had a dodgy spell of 20 minutes or so in the first half when we looked second best by some distance (against, let’s not forget, the number 1 ranked side in the world), but improved towards the end of the first half, and then improved again significantly in the second half. And won. And yet still some people try to outdo each other with negative, sniping comments about how awful everything was. 

As you say, a lot of the moaning comes across as very tryhard.

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Have you watched England's performances lately? Performances and line up today/performance has been rightfully criticised. 

Two wins and a draw.  If it was Germany, people would be talking about how they always get the job done.  Young squad, very much still learning.

We've just beaten the best team in the world... Let's enjoy the result, even if the performance wasn't our most fluid 

Second half was far more enjoyable to watch. Moved the ball better and snubbed out lukaka far more effectively

I'm not really a fan of international football, but a win against the number one side is a positive

3 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

We've just beaten the best team in the world... Let's enjoy the result, even if the performance wasn't our most fluid 

Second half was far more enjoyable to watch. Moved the ball better and snubbed out lukaka far more effectively

I'm not really a fan of international football, but a win against the number one side is a positive

We beat a proper team. That pass from KDB in the second half just before he came off though, insane that he even saw it let alone executed it.

50 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I like Calvert-Lewin. Very exciting talent and unbelievable in the air! I’d like to see more of him. I’m sure he would have buried Kane’s chance late on too.

I’m not a huge Kane fan....don’t get me wrong he is generally a top finisher, I just think his contribution to our ability to play football is stifling at times, especially against the better nations.  There were a couple of chipped passes from our CBs in the opening 25 minutes, where DCL came short and got it to chest and we played from it.  With Kane that’s possession over, because he doesn’t show.

Its a massively over-critical view from me, I accept that....but sometimes I think we would be a better equipped team / team system with a different striker up top than Kane.  DCL could be that man.  Brave call from Southgate though.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

When were they last a fun team to watch?

Euro 96?

I treat England matches like Women's football, I take a look for a game "nope hasn't changed much" and then not watch for 6 months.

a completely out of context dig at woman football.. just why?

''But i am not sexist" I bet people like this say.

yes you are. that is sexism, casually.. thrown into conversation for no reason but to get a cheap laugh or to amuse yourself and be superior

cut it out. now

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not a huge Kane fan....don’t get me wrong he is generally a top finisher, I just think his contribution to our ability to play football is stifling at times, especially against the better nations.  There were a couple of chipped passes from our CBs in the opening 25 minutes, where DCL came short and got it to chest and we played from it.  With Kane that’s possession over, because he doesn’t show.

Its a massively over-critical view from me, I accept that....but sometimes I think we would be a better equipped team / team system with a different striker up top than Kane.  DCL could be that man.  Brave call from Southgate though.

I agree Internationally. Kane for Spurs has had to basically to it all for 4/5 seasons leading the front line with Son as excellent support and then a mix match of players who will chuck in a good performance every so often.

For England, Kane plays the same way, however he has Sterling and Sancho as 1st choice with players like Rashford as back-up when he can now concentrate on being a striker who plays within the width of the 6 yard box.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would normally feel that was a valid point. However if you have watched him this season, he may well prove you wrong!

DC158D88-7A9F-4AB6-B685-57FEFC0256AC.thumb.png.b849e823d40d352872b571c4f29d03c4.png

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think you’re over-critical there. Totally agree with you regarding Kane, we looked less threatening when HK came on. We had a couple chances at the end but that was only because Belgium were pushing for an equaliser. 

20 minutes ago, Henry said:

Would normally feel that was a valid point. However if you have watched him this season, he may well prove you wrong!

DC158D88-7A9F-4AB6-B685-57FEFC0256AC.thumb.png.b849e823d40d352872b571c4f29d03c4.png

My issue with Kane isn't really Kane himself.  It's like criticising him is the equivalent of criticising the Queen.  No one in public life dares do it. 

I started a bit of a row on my old Football team's Whatsapp group calling him the Graeme Hick of football but there is definitely a bit of truth in that.  Hopefully he proves me wrong in time..

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

My issue with Kane isn't really Kane himself.  It's like criticising him is the equivalent of criticising the Queen.  No one in public life dares do it. 

I started a bit of a row on my old Football team's Whatsapp group calling him the Graeme Hick of football but there is definitely a bit of truth in that.  Hopefully he proves me wrong in time..

Yeah, I know what you mean....for me (for England) he’s goals but little else.  We aren’t good enough to play with 9 outfield players against the good sides.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Kane is carrying an injury to be fair.

I think he is far more than a world class finisher. The win against Spain away from home him dropping deep holding it up, and playing balls through to Rashford and Sterling. He is a superb passer of the ball.

that’s about the only time he’s really done it though across a whole game....it left me wondering why I’d not seen that from him previously or again.

It really suits him coming deep. Ramos said he was very surprised by Kane's technical ability. I think he has it all, just maybe not super quick, but he certainly isn't slow.

always nice to hear a defender big up the player he’s been made to look bad by! ???

He is good technically, he just doesn’t work hard enough off the ball for me....and doesn’t do the unselfish stuff for me.  I get that he’s the main man goals-wise, but it makes our attacking style one dimensional and easier to defeat.

Calvert Lewin is beginning to look like a fantastic option to come on for him. We have needed another number 9 to compete with Kane as Rashford is not the answer as a lone striker. Ings I like too, but not got the all round game like Kane and Calvert Lewin.

Greenwood is going to be some player too, but currently more a winger at his age.

Tammy I still think can improve a lot. Got a lot of great attacking potential there with the wingers we have too.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

39 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

a completely out of context dig at woman football.. just why?

''But i am not sexist" I bet people like this say.

yes you are. that is sexism, casually.. thrown into conversation for no reason but to get a cheap laugh or to amuse yourself and be superior

cut it out. now

No you're embarrassing and wrong and desperately reaching. i will defend myself from a stupid and wrong accusation.

Firstly it's linked because it's the same feeling I have when watching England's Male football team, i.e. not much changes. So that's the context, my football watching habits and feelings. It's in the post. You're wrong.

The second clue from the very limited post that it's not sexist is that I keep watching it and am open to it changing my mind. So there's no prejudging. No prejudice. You're wrong.

When you have preferences you discriminate. So yeah I discriminate, between what I enjoy and what I don't. Slow boring football with terrible goalkeeping is not football that I enjoy. But it's not based on sex, it's based on what I judge to be slow, boring football and bad goalkeeping. So it's not sexist. In the same way my views on the England football team are also not England football team ist. I keep watching to see if it changes my mind. I don't say they can't change, I don't say they're incapable because of their sex. You're wrong.

The only possible and idiotic way to misconstrue this as sexist is to not understand that when I say "Women's football" I mean "women's football that I have watched because I have not seen every single women's football match and therefore cannot comment across the board" because we don't speak like that because there's a base understanding of how language and meaning works except for you it seems.

Putting down the standard of Women's football is not putting down Women. Putting down the standard of the England Male national football team is not putting down English people, or Men. Except the exact people I'm being critical of in both cases.

"People like this" is prejudging. What's a person like this? Oh wait, you're prejudged me based on one line. Oops, who's the prejudiced person now? It's you.

So I guess look in the mirror before throwing out really terrible accusations here. You cannot throw random accusations out there like that especially when you are guilty of the behaviour you wrongly accuse someone else of. Not acceptable.

Cut it out.

8 minutes ago, Prinny said:

No you're embarrassing and wrong and desperately reaching. i will defend myself from a stupid and wrong accusation.

Firstly it's linked because it's the same feeling I have when watching England's Male football team, i.e. not much changes. So that's the context, my football watching habits and feelings. It's in the post. You're wrong.

The second clue from the very limited post that it's not sexist is that I keep watching it and am open to it changing my mind. So there's no prejudging. No prejudice. You're wrong.

When you have preferences you discriminate. So yeah I discriminate, between what I enjoy and what I don't. Slow boring football with terrible goalkeeping is not football that I enjoy. But it's not based on sex, it's based on what I judge to be slow, boring football and bad goalkeeping. So it's not sexist. In the same way my views on the England football team are also not England football team ist. I keep watching to see if it changes my mind. I don't say they can't change, I don't say they're incapable because of their sex. You're wrong.

The only possible and idiotic way to misconstrue this as sexist is to not understand that when I say "Women's football" I mean "women's football that I have watched because I have not seen every single women's football match and therefore cannot comment across the board" because we don't speak like that because there's a base understanding of how language and meaning works except for you it seems.

Putting down the standard of Women's football is not putting down Women. Putting down the standard of the England Male national football team is not putting down English people, or Men. Except the exact people I'm being critical of in both cases.

"People like this" is prejudging. What's a person like this? Oh wait, you're prejudged me based on one line. Oops, who's the prejudiced person now? It's you.

So I guess look in the mirror before throwing out really terrible accusations here. You cannot throw random accusations out there like that especially when you are guilty of the behaviour you wrongly accuse someone else of. Not acceptable.

Cut it out.

Not that you need me to of course but I accept your explanation so thanks for that, you do seem genuinely offended.

the “people like this” comment however does still stand up because I took how I interpreted the post and made a point of it, it was more of a ‘royal’ people like this than directed and you yourself. It would have been very long winded to ask for clarification of your post first. Maybe something to do in the future!

I also stand by that your comment really did rather look to insinuate more of a comment on the quality of woman’s football, but like I said you have explained yourself well and quite vehemently that this is not the case

10 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Not that you need me to of course but I accept your explanation so thanks for that, you do seem genuinely offended.

the “people like this” comment however does still stand up because I took how I interpreted the post and made a point of it, it was more of a ‘royal’ people like this than directed and you yourself. It would have been very long winded to ask for clarification of your post first. Maybe something to do in the future!

I also stand by that your comment really did rather look to insinuate more of a comment on the quality of woman’s football, but like I said you have explained yourself well and quite vehemently that this is not the case

Firstly thanks for this post. Just be really careful about throwing accusations like that. It's a football forum, but in the real world words like that can destroy peoples lives.

It's not long winded to politely say "care to explain that comment, it read as sexist to me". It's is a wrong interpretation, but my comment DID leave it slightly open to that. But check before you accuse people of something horrific. Like if you hear a joke you think is sexist. Ask the person, to explain why it's funny.

I.E. don't assume when you don't know. It's the same mindset of the -ists. Very dangerous.

Archived