Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

The cure for insomnia

27 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I don’t think you’re over-critical there. Totally agree with you regarding Kane, we looked less threatening when HK came on. We had a couple chances at the end but that was only because Belgium were pushing for an equaliser. 

Kane is carrying an injury to be fair.

I think he is far more than a world class finisher. The win against Spain away from home him dropping deep holding it up, and playing balls through to Rashford and Sterling. He is a superb passer of the ball.

It really suits him coming deep. Ramos said he was very surprised by Kane's technical ability. I think he has it all, just maybe not super quick, but he certainly isn't slow.

Calvert Lewin is beginning to look like a fantastic option to come on for him. We have needed another number 9 to compete with Kane as Rashford is not the answer as a lone striker. Ings I like too, but not got the all round game like Kane and Calvert Lewin.

Greenwood is going to be some player too, but currently more a winger at his age.

Tammy I still think can improve a lot. Got a lot of great attacking potential there with the wingers we have too.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Kane is carrying an injury to be fair.

I think he is far more than a world class finisher. The win against Spain away from home him dropping deep holding it up, and playing balls through to Rashford and Sterling. He is a superb passer of the ball.

that’s about the only time he’s really done it though across a whole game....it left me wondering why I’d not seen that from him previously or again.

It really suits him coming deep. Ramos said he was very surprised by Kane's technical ability. I think he has it all, just maybe not super quick, but he certainly isn't slow.

always nice to hear a defender big up the player he’s been made to look bad by! 😂😂😂

He is good technically, he just doesn’t work hard enough off the ball for me....and doesn’t do the unselfish stuff for me.  I get that he’s the main man goals-wise, but it makes our attacking style one dimensional and easier to defeat.

Calvert Lewin is beginning to look like a fantastic option to come on for him. We have needed another number 9 to compete with Kane as Rashford is not the answer as a lone striker. Ings I like too, but not got the all round game like Kane and Calvert Lewin.

Greenwood is going to be some player too, but currently more a winger at his age.

Tammy I still think can improve a lot. Got a lot of great attacking potential there with the wingers we have too.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

39 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

a completely out of context dig at woman football.. just why?

''But i am not sexist" I bet people like this say.

yes you are. that is sexism, casually.. thrown into conversation for no reason but to get a cheap laugh or to amuse yourself and be superior

cut it out. now

No you're embarrassing and wrong and desperately reaching. i will defend myself from a stupid and wrong accusation.

Firstly it's linked because it's the same feeling I have when watching England's Male football team, i.e. not much changes. So that's the context, my football watching habits and feelings. It's in the post. You're wrong.

The second clue from the very limited post that it's not sexist is that I keep watching it and am open to it changing my mind. So there's no prejudging. No prejudice. You're wrong.

When you have preferences you discriminate. So yeah I discriminate, between what I enjoy and what I don't. Slow boring football with terrible goalkeeping is not football that I enjoy. But it's not based on sex, it's based on what I judge to be slow, boring football and bad goalkeeping. So it's not sexist. In the same way my views on the England football team are also not England football team ist. I keep watching to see if it changes my mind. I don't say they can't change, I don't say they're incapable because of their sex. You're wrong.

The only possible and idiotic way to misconstrue this as sexist is to not understand that when I say "Women's football" I mean "women's football that I have watched because I have not seen every single women's football match and therefore cannot comment across the board" because we don't speak like that because there's a base understanding of how language and meaning works except for you it seems.

Putting down the standard of Women's football is not putting down Women. Putting down the standard of the England Male national football team is not putting down English people, or Men. Except the exact people I'm being critical of in both cases.

"People like this" is prejudging. What's a person like this? Oh wait, you're prejudged me based on one line. Oops, who's the prejudiced person now? It's you.

So I guess look in the mirror before throwing out really terrible accusations here. You cannot throw random accusations out there like that especially when you are guilty of the behaviour you wrongly accuse someone else of. Not acceptable.

Cut it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Prinny said:

No you're embarrassing and wrong and desperately reaching. i will defend myself from a stupid and wrong accusation.

Firstly it's linked because it's the same feeling I have when watching England's Male football team, i.e. not much changes. So that's the context, my football watching habits and feelings. It's in the post. You're wrong.

The second clue from the very limited post that it's not sexist is that I keep watching it and am open to it changing my mind. So there's no prejudging. No prejudice. You're wrong.

When you have preferences you discriminate. So yeah I discriminate, between what I enjoy and what I don't. Slow boring football with terrible goalkeeping is not football that I enjoy. But it's not based on sex, it's based on what I judge to be slow, boring football and bad goalkeeping. So it's not sexist. In the same way my views on the England football team are also not England football team ist. I keep watching to see if it changes my mind. I don't say they can't change, I don't say they're incapable because of their sex. You're wrong.

The only possible and idiotic way to misconstrue this as sexist is to not understand that when I say "Women's football" I mean "women's football that I have watched because I have not seen every single women's football match and therefore cannot comment across the board" because we don't speak like that because there's a base understanding of how language and meaning works except for you it seems.

Putting down the standard of Women's football is not putting down Women. Putting down the standard of the England Male national football team is not putting down English people, or Men. Except the exact people I'm being critical of in both cases.

"People like this" is prejudging. What's a person like this? Oh wait, you're prejudged me based on one line. Oops, who's the prejudiced person now? It's you.

So I guess look in the mirror before throwing out really terrible accusations here. You cannot throw random accusations out there like that especially when you are guilty of the behaviour you wrongly accuse someone else of. Not acceptable.

Cut it out.

Not that you need me to of course but I accept your explanation so thanks for that, you do seem genuinely offended.

the “people like this” comment however does still stand up because I took how I interpreted the post and made a point of it, it was more of a ‘royal’ people like this than directed and you yourself. It would have been very long winded to ask for clarification of your post first. Maybe something to do in the future!

I also stand by that your comment really did rather look to insinuate more of a comment on the quality of woman’s football, but like I said you have explained yourself well and quite vehemently that this is not the case

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Not that you need me to of course but I accept your explanation so thanks for that, you do seem genuinely offended.

the “people like this” comment however does still stand up because I took how I interpreted the post and made a point of it, it was more of a ‘royal’ people like this than directed and you yourself. It would have been very long winded to ask for clarification of your post first. Maybe something to do in the future!

I also stand by that your comment really did rather look to insinuate more of a comment on the quality of woman’s football, but like I said you have explained yourself well and quite vehemently that this is not the case

Firstly thanks for this post. Just be really careful about throwing accusations like that. It's a football forum, but in the real world words like that can destroy peoples lives.

It's not long winded to politely say "care to explain that comment, it read as sexist to me". It's is a wrong interpretation, but my comment DID leave it slightly open to that. But check before you accuse people of something horrific. Like if you hear a joke you think is sexist. Ask the person, to explain why it's funny.

I.E. don't assume when you don't know. It's the same mindset of the -ists. Very dangerous.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Cannot believe how wasteful Belgium were...well done England and all that....but really Belgium should never have lost that game.

We will get found out soon by all this tinkering from Southgate and giving caps to players who have only played like 20 prem games. 

Pickford shouldn't be in goal.

Tripper should not be a left back.

Treatment and alienation of Foden and Greenwood out of order when Maguire gets straight back into the side.

Grealish is better than Mount (in my opinion).

I am sorry but the formation and players we play are FAR too negative and have been since we lost to Czech Republic. We genuinely do have some real classy attacking talents coming through right now, so use them Southgate or waste them.

I cannot see us going to the Euros next year playing like we have and not being punished.

Not negative, just from what I have observed based on performances. As proven in the past with England, results are fine until we get to the Tournament..

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

We will get found out soon by all this tinkering from Southgate and giving caps to players who have only played like 20 prem games. 

Treatment and alienation of Foden and Greenwood out of order when Maguire gets straight back into the side.

I am sorry but the formation and players we play are FAR too negative and have been since we lost to Czech Republic. We genuinely do have some real classy attacking talents coming through right now, so use them Southgate or waste them.

I cannot see us going to the Euros next year playing like we have and not being punished.

Not negative, just from what I have observed based on performances. As proven in the past with England, results are fine until we get to the Tournament..

It's weird because I would have Pickford behind Pope and Henderson at club level, but generally I think Pickford has done well for England and no doubt that is why he remains the number 1.

Yeah Trippier not a left wing back, and I'd probably not have him in the squad as a right wing back either. But he did play well second half today.

I am hoping Sakho continues to get games at Arsenal and improves enough to be good back up for Chilwell. I think Sakho will be quality.

My biggest worry is at centre back. Hopefully Gomez gets back to how he was.

I thought Belgium, who were disappointing, were unlucky TBH. A dive from the most minor of touches and a lucky deflection got us our goals.

I honestly don't think we deserved a win. We were better in the second half but sooo poor in the first 45. Static. Slow. Crippled by caution.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

It's weird because I would have Pickford behind Pope and Henderson at club level, but generally I think Pickford has done well for England and no doubt that is why he remains the number 1.

Yeah Trippier not a left wing back, and I'd probably not have him in the squad as a right wing back either. But he did play well second half today.

I am hoping Sakho continues to get games at Arsenal and improves enough to be good back up for Chilwell. I think Sakho will be quality.

My biggest worry is at centre back. Hopefully Gomez gets back to how he was.

Yes centre back is a concern for me with England to be honest, right now we seem to not have any of international quality we would ideally like for England and those we have got like Maguire, Gomez, Dier, Walker are hardly on form currently. 

I think Trent could potentially be played in midfield at some point in his career due to his passing ability. That would be interesting, because I don't think he is the best of defenders but fantastic going forward.

It's a fair shout on Pickford, he hasn't really let England down, however the best keeper at the moment is Pope and he should be given a run.

I just want to see Southgate be more expansive and use the plethora of attacking options we have got, he seems to be very stubborn and has his favourites.

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought Belgium, who were disappointing, were unlucky TBH. A dive from the most minor of touches and a lucky deflection got us our goals.

I honestly don't think we deserved a win. We were better in the second half but sooo poor in the first 45. Static. Slow. Crippled by caution.

England may have had a bit of good fortune but Belgium only have themselves to blame. It was bad defending from Meunier to let Henderson get goal-side at the corner that led to the penalty (and whilst Henderson certainly made the most of the contact, I think he was impeded, albeit only slightly). And they were wasteful with the other chances they created. 

England improved from about 30-35 minutes onwards and managed to negate Belgium for most of the second half. We may not have deserved the outright win but I thought our recovery after that dodgy 20 minute spell probably merited a point. 

The return game in Brussels next month will be a stern test, but as the away team and with the threat of Sancho and Sterling on the counter attack, we could pose them problems. 

3 minutes ago, North London Red said:

England may have had a bit of good fortune but Belgium only have themselves to blame. It was bad defending from Meunier to let Henderson get goal-side at the corner that led to the penalty (and whilst Henderson certainly made the most of the contact, I think he was impeded, albeit only slightly). And they were wasteful with the other chances they created. 

England improved from about 30-35 minutes onwards and managed to negate Belgium for most of the second half. We may not have deserved the outright win but I thought our recovery after that dodgy 20 minute spell probably merited a point. 

The return game in Brussels next month will be a stern test, but as the away team and with the threat of Sancho and Sterling on the counter attack, we could pose them problems. 

I agree with most of that. But while I think refs will often give soft penalties like ours when you can see a hand briefly brush an opponents back, I don't think Henderson was actually impeded in any way. Meunier's reaction to him after the game clearly showed he didn't either.

TBH a fly could've landed on Henderson's back and he'd have gone down like that. 

The sheer theatrics of the dive indicate to me there was nothing in it.

Still, if it's good enough for the Gas I suppose...

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I agree with most of that. But while I think refs will often give soft penalties like ours when you can see a hand briefly brush an opponents back, I don't think Henderson was actually impeded in any way. Meunier's reaction to him after the game clearly showed he didn't either.

TBH a fly could've landed on Henderson's back and he'd have gone down like that. 

Yes, Henderson certainly made the most of whatever contact there was. His interview after the game also suggested he knew it. I wonder what VAR would have made of the challenge. 

He did something similar in the World Cup against Colombia. It’s not a side to his game that I’d endorse. 

4 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Last nations league when we beat Spain away?!

Was impressive, actually really impressive in many ways- but possibly a bit overdone- in retrospect. Tactically very good and a strong first half indeed, but 25-30% possession and 3 shots on target from which you score 3 goals, this does not usually win a game! I'd say it is fairly rare to have so little of the game in key metrics- and yet win, away to Spain especially.

Strong result today for sure and gives us a chance of winning the group- everyone will beat Iceland I think, Denmark at home is no gimme, they have players who play for a variety of high ranking clubs, Belgium away is the toughest of all but if we avoid defeat there, we should win the group- in our own hands now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We aren’t a very good team are we.  We are ok, we have decent individuals but rarely look a team.  Belgium are well structured, have good players who know what they’re doing.  They are happy to defend when they have to, but know they have a plan to exploit England when they have to ball.  We try to play like we are the best in the world, we don’t respect teams like Belgium.  In reality a draw is a good result.  But we ought to be able to play a better style in achieving results.

Oh Dave look at the stats 

First half was dreadful but full marks to Belgium who stopped England playing very effectively. They got a very very dodgy penalty to lead but second half Southgate tweaked things and England were far better and equalised with a stonewall penalty and deservedly won the game.

It was a typical ‘game of two halves’..............:cool2:

It was like watching paint dry in the first half tho but that was largely down to the opposition.

Edited by Robbored
7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

First half was dreadful but full marks to Belgium who stopped England playing very effectively. They got a very very dodgy penalty to lead but second half Southgate tweaked things and England were far better and equalised with a stonewall penalty and deservedly won the game.

It was a typical ‘game of two halves’..............:cool2:

It was like watching paint dry in the first half tho but that was largely down to the opposition.

Except that our penalty equaliser was in the first half?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, 2015 said:

Yes centre back is a concern for me with England to be honest, right now we seem to not have any of international quality we would ideally like for England and those we have got like Maguire, Gomez, Dier, Walker are hardly on form currently. 

I think Trent could potentially be played in midfield at some point in his career due to his passing ability. That would be interesting, because I don't think he is the best of defenders but fantastic going forward.

It's a fair shout on Pickford, he hasn't really let England down, however the best keeper at the moment is Pope and he should be given a run.

I just want to see Southgate be more expansive and use the plethora of attacking options we have got, he seems to be very stubborn and has his favourites.

Strange that Southgate doesn't seem to like the Brighton defence. Not sure if Webster is ready but I prefer him to Mings who Southgate always puts in the squad. Dunk is good too, and White looks a classy defender to me. They all play it out the back at Brighton too. 

I quite like Tarkowski as well. It seems we have a lot of good centre backs, but none of them are world class.

Good point about Trent. I have thought too for a while that midfield might end up being his position, that being his position through the youths.

It would have to be part of the double pivot though in this system which means he won't be getting many balls into the box. 

But then his passing from deep might work. He doesn't look so good for england on the right as he does for Liverpool.

13 hours ago, cityexile said:

5 at the back, 3 right backs, 2 DM's and a CM playing right wing.

Sometimes Southgate’s genius is... Its almost frightening

Walker is a RB by trade but has played that RCB role for England several times ahead of fit CBs and played it well

We didnt really have a left back in the squad with experience, when Chilwell's fit it'll be his spot so not really anything to worry about.

Henderson is more of a box to box midfielder than a DM

13 hours ago, 2015 said:

Have you watched England's performances lately? Performances and line up today/performance has been rightfully criticised. 

I'm not sure it's "rightful" criticism, we won the game against the top side in the world at the moment therefore his selections are vindicated.

There's been some very good performances over the last few years. Admittedly the last few games have not been up to standard but he's hampered by injuries and unavailability at the minute.

10 hours ago, 2015 said:

Pickford hasn't done much wrong for England, and Everton are currently top of the league.

Tripper wont be left back when we have fit left backs.

Maguire is technically innocent still at the moment, and has generally played well for England despite club form. Agree about Foden and Greenwood, that should be forgotten about now.

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

When was the last time you were in the box attacking (or defending) a corner, or attempting to win a header anywhere on the pitch? The slightest touch or push can be enough to put you off, especially once you're off the ground. It may have appeared soft but he pulled him enough to restrict him. I'm actually surprised it was given as usually they aren't.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Except that our penalty equaliser was in the first half?

Dont worry...he was wearing his union jack glasses.......he actually thought our penalty was a "stonewall"?, and Belgiums was dodgy.  Which is the exact opposite of what the majority thought.  Who was Man of the Match?  Maguire? 😜

10 hours ago, North London Red said:

I presume this comment was in jest: I guess the return fixture will be an equally soulless behind closed doors pseudo-training match. I don't see any advantage being gained by the home team.

I was amused yesterday by the commentators talking about how great it was for the Belgian players to play at Wembley: they could have played it on a training pitch at St Georges Park or a school playing field down the road and still have achieved the same atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Blackbird1 said:

Oh Dave look at the stats 

What stats?  Balls in the onion bag?  Read plenty of my posts....I talk about that stat being the only really important one.

I think you misinterpreted my post....I’m saying we aren’t generally a good “team”, but a bunch of individuals.  And for fans to think that a bunch of individuals can rock up and expect to win against a “team” like Belgium is disrespectful.  I don’t think Southgate thinks that, but he is still struggling to build a team.

Im not sure where stats needs to come into it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

28 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I presume this comment was in jest: I guess the return fixture will be an equally soulless behind closed doors pseudo-training match. I don't see any advantage being gained by the home team.

I was amused yesterday by the commentators talking about how great it was for the Belgian players to play at Wembley: they could have played it on a training pitch at St Georges Park or a school playing field down the road and still have achieved the same atmosphere.

Not according to the latest rumours. Belgium had fans in the stadium for their friendly against Ivory Coast last week, and in line with UEFA's guidance that teams can allow fans in at 30% capacity (subject to local or governmental restrictions), it is expected they will have fans in attendance for the game v England in Brussels. 

The comment was not in jest.