IGNORED

New Zealand replaced by Republic of Ireland for England friendly next month

Lrrr

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54535478

I expect England will try and organise a friendly if a local country doesn't have a game. 

Random concept though, wonder what sort of team you could put together of English based players who aren't on international duty, probably as good as if not better than the NZ side.

Tell you what would be fun - an English Premier v English Championship game. So the replacement team is made up of English players from championship clubs.

Would we contribute anyone? Bentley? Maybe Dasilva if fit and not with the youth teams? 

When I lived in Auckland the standard of domestic football was akin to that played on Eastville Park,The Auckland franchise played in the Australian league so away matches were expensive especially away to Perth Glory,wonder if its improved in the last 1 0 years ? mind you a team in Wellington took the franchise so its probably still shit and windy.

2 hours ago, One Dickie Rooks said:

When I lived in Auckland the standard of domestic football was akin to that played on Eastville Park,The Auckland franchise played in the Australian league so away matches were expensive especially away to Perth Glory,wonder if its improved in the last 1 0 years ? mind you a team in Wellington took the franchise so its probably still shit and windy.

It’s not a lot better now, they have had a few English players go and play for them though. 

Stephen Taylor the ex Newcastle centre half has been there for 2-3 years, and Gary Hooper who played for Celtic and a few English teams was there recently.

I was out in Auckland last year, and took a Northern league game in, tbh the standard was pretty decent, one of the teams ( North Shore) was probably Conference South standard. 

Whereabouts in Auckland did you used to live? As I lived in Howick for two years in the late 80’s?

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s not a lot better now, they have had a few English players go and play for them though. 

Stephen Taylor the ex Newcastle centre half has been there for 2-3 years, and Gary Hooper who played for Celtic and a few English teams was there recently.

I was out in Auckland last year, and took a Northern league game in, tbh the standard was pretty decent, one of the teams ( North Shore) was probably Conference South standard. 

Whereabouts in Auckland did you used to live? As I lived in Howick for two years in the late 80’s?

Pakuranga and Howick 1997 to 2008

• Admin

England will play the Republic of Ireland in an international friendly at Wembley on 12 November.

Original opponents New Zealand withdrew from the fixture because of travel and player availability complications caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

The game will be played behind closed doors.

It will be followed by England's final two Nations League group fixtures away to Belgium on 15 November and home to Iceland on 18 November.

The Republic are away to Wales on 15 November and at home to Bulgaria on 18 November in their remaining Nations League games.

Stephen Kenny's side missed out on the Euro 2020 play-off final against Northern Ireland on 12 November after losing to Slovakia on penalties in a tense semi-final in Bratislava.

England's last meeting with the Republic was a goalless draw in Dublin in June 2015, while their most recent game at Wembley was a 1-1 draw in May 2013. England have not beaten the Republic since 1985.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54629543

• The title was changed to New Zealand replaced by Republic of Ireland for England friendly next month
33 minutes ago, phantom said:

England will play the Republic of Ireland in an international friendly at Wembley on 12 November.

Original opponents New Zealand withdrew from the fixture because of travel and player availability complications caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

The game will be played behind closed doors.

It will be followed by England's final two Nations League group fixtures away to Belgium on 15 November and home to Iceland on 18 November.

The Republic are away to Wales on 15 November and at home to Bulgaria on 18 November in their remaining Nations League games.

Stephen Kenny's side missed out on the Euro 2020 play-off final against Northern Ireland on 12 November after losing to Slovakia on penalties in a tense semi-final in Bratislava.

England's last meeting with the Republic was a goalless draw in Dublin in June 2015, while their most recent game at Wembley was a 1-1 draw in May 2013. England have not beaten the Republic since 1985.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54629543

God if ever there was a waste of time this game sums it up republic come for nil nil draw in a absolutely dire game

On 14/10/2020 at 13:02, Davefevs said:

Back in the day NZ had a star player called Winton Rufer....am I right in thinking he almost came to City....or am I imagining it?

If he had signed, he would have been the first Rufer to appear on the roof. 

We've had plenty of Thatchers at City down the years, but no Rufers.

Archived