IGNORED

England v Denmark

Super

17 minutes ago, bris red said:

Indeed. The way the draw panned out in the WC in 2018 was so so fortunate for Southgate. A penalty shout out win in a WC was bound to happen at some point in the history of English football aswell and it just so happened it was flukey Southgate who was in charge to oversee it.

Time for a change - **** knows who. Seems we have gone down every route possible for an England manager in my lifetime. I suppose Eddie Howe is out of work but i still wouldn’t be convinced with him to be honest.

Yeah we were average at the World cup. It was a kind draw and any decent opposition we faced, we lost. Should have beaten Croatia.

And yeah we actually do have good players. Kane, Grealish, Foden, Henderson, Sterling, Alexander-Arnold are all very decent players. Doesn't start his best side.

Southgate is reminiscent of Gary Johnson. Grealish (Noble, Trundle et al) is an extravagant talent and certain managers appear to be intimidated by such players. Southgate has a certain style/character of player - which is a safe one, bit bland. Probably similar to him as a player. 

Grealish should’ve been given a shot with 30 minutes left. No excuses for me. 

Many got carried away with Southgate a year or so back, in a tournament where the draw opened up for us and we failed to capitalise on the opportunity. Nice waistcoat though. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Southgate needs to (within reason) pick a group of players and a system and stick to it.  The amount of personnel changes each game and each break is massive.  Media clamour for x or y to be included is based on very short term form.  Southgate needs to have courage in his convictions of who he and his team think are the best.  Of course they will be the odd “trial” of a player outside the main group.

I think too many young players are fast-tracked to the main set-up, bypassing the invaluable learning of u21 international football.

I don’t think Southgate is a bad coach, but it feels a bit like an LJ bad spell at the mo’.

I think Southgate is a victim of his own success and the high standards he made but I agree he is starting  too many players. When Southgate started he brought in a youthful team but a team he he knew from coaching the u21's. 

I do think our performances haven't been great but have still won a few games we got lucky with similar to like you and others have said about LJ.

I would say this year shorter summer break club football wise and playing games in such a short time with the league restart, so it is a harsh time to judge Southgate but  I would worry about the Euro's if we aren't at least more organised in the November games.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Southgate needs to (within reason) pick a group of players and a system and stick to it.  The amount of personnel changes each game and each break is massive.  Media clamour for x or y to be included is based on very short term form.  Southgate needs to have courage in his convictions of who he and his team think are the best.  Of course they will be the odd “trial” of a player outside the main group.

I think too many young players are fast-tracked to the main set-up, bypassing the invaluable learning of u21 international football.

I don’t think Southgate is a bad coach, but it feels a bit like an LJ bad spell at the mo’.

Watching that post-match interview with Southgate had shades of LJ an awl. Thinks we were superb! ?

It was said during commentary that Southgate is selecting 3 at the back because he doesn't have 2 cb's he can put his full faith in. Fair enough, play with 3cb's but don't have 2 holding midfielders as well. It's just too defensive. In the world Cup, Henderson sat and lingard & dele Ali bombed forward to support the strikers. That can work and you can pivot the back line into a 4 to move one of the wing backs forward to join the attack. 

Today was basically a 7 - 0 - 3 formation (until the red card) . Phillips and rice are good players. But together with 3 center backs as well..... No chance. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think Southgate is a bad coach, but it feels a bit like an LJ bad spell at the mo’.,,

Do you think the system and the players that he would pick it everyone was available would be good enough to win one of the two major tournaments?

Not for me far to conservative, I know that's how the Germans, Portugal have won things, but we will never have the concentration at the back to see us win at that level.

Southgates players Pickford,Maguire, Rice, Rashford (playing on the wing) Walker will never be good enough at the top level.

Now Gomes,Arnold,Maddison, Grealish Have a chance of making it to the top. IMO.

We expect too see attacking passing football at ashton gate.

Same goes for england, some managers always tried to play entertaining football.

Southgate doesnt,

When we do win, its either really lucky, or a drab 1 0 win.

I only wish Sir Bobby Robson had his luck off he draw, cause we would have won at least 1 world cup.

8 hours ago, The Bard said:

Again, the whingeing is truly astounding. 

WE DON'T HAVE THAT MANY GOOD PLAYERS. HARRY KANE ISN'T AS GOOD AS PEOPLE THINK.

That's not Southgate's fault.

That’s a matter of opinion as to how good they are. 
They earn a lot of money though for what they do, they’re most probably some of the best paid players in the world!

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I only wish Sir Bobby Robson had his luck off he draw, cause we would have won at least 1 world cup.

1982 World Cup often gets overlooked. We were incredibly unfortunate to go out but that was the format at the time. 

Ron Greenwood was the coach for it. Imagine having Brian Clough. But had we done so, Sir Bobby Robson would not have become England manager when he did. 

10 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Can anyone explain the hype around Declan Rice and how he makes the England starting 11 ?

Yep. He’s a phenomenal player. 

Still only 21, last season in top midfield tacklers and in top interceptions for whole of prem, high pass completion rate. Mixing those three statistics is very rare combination. 

If you watch West Ham play, esp at the moment, you see what all the fuss is about. He’s in great form.

Tough to judge him for his role in the England team. In a less conservative team, his value as midfield glue doing the graft for the show ponies would be more obvious. 

Understand the frustration with way England are playing at the moment given the pool of players available and the form of some missing out but Declan Rice is not the international scapegoat you are looking for. 

Southgate, after a promising start, has gone all LJ-like in the style of football.

Think it’s a generational FA sort of thing. Ultra cautious, ultra loyal to a select band of mostly nothing players that lack imagination, creativity and positivity. 

Time to get rid. 

His stubbornness (another LJ trait) over the inclusion of Grealish in the squad could have been compensated for by using these games to build a team around the bloke. Nope, not Southgate he’s not one for being ‘bullied’ by the public/press into making decisions.

Our Gareth clearly missed the lecture on attacking, positive, expansive football being the ‘new way’. No doubt he was too busy studying his ‘possession football in the 90’s’ FA manual.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We expect too see attacking passing football at ashton gate.

Same goes for england, some managers always tried to play entertaining football.

Southgate doesnt,

When we do win, its either really lucky, or a drab 1 0 win.

I dont think you've watched many England games under Southgate. 5 1-0 wins in 45 games, 16 times we've won by 2 or more goals.

The last few games have been really shit, but the run to the world cup and during the world cup were at least entertaining games. It's widely accepted that for a good couple of years Southgate made England more exciting to watch regardless of the opposition. I dont know whats happened to him since, perhaps the uncertainty of Covid and lack of fans? Some key players drastically out of form and some players not stepping up.

11 hours ago, The Bard said:

Again, the whingeing is truly astounding. 

WE DON'T HAVE THAT MANY GOOD PLAYERS. HARRY KANE ISN'T AS GOOD AS PEOPLE THINK.

That's not Southgate's fault.

Not sure about that, I don't think there's many teams in the world that Harry Kane wouldn't get into. 

All about opinions, but I genuinely think we do have a very good squad. I'd say (on paper) this is as good as we've had since 06'.

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

1982 World Cup often gets overlooked. We were incredibly unfortunate to go out but that was the format at the time. 

Ron Greenwood was the coach for it. Imagine having Brian Clough. But had we done so, Sir Bobby Robson would not have become England manager when he did. 

I actually think our performances in the 1970s at international level are unfairly maligned. For the 1974 World Cup we were pipped in qualifying by Poland who finished 3rd at the Finals having thrown the kitchen sink at them at Wembley in a very very fortunate 1-1 draw for the Poles, and in the 1978 qualifying campaign we lost out in qualification to Italy who finished 4th at the Finals on goal difference having beaten them at Wembley. Only 16 teams went to the Finals back then. Scotland qualified in 78 by topping a group consisting of themselves Wales and Czechoslovakia. England had some world class players back then including the likes of Keegan and Brooking who were injured by the time 1982 came around, and the competition Finals were extended to 24 teams, and only played bit parts in the tournament.

Since for a long time now, I can’t get excited about England and football.

it’s been rubbish for years. And will continue to be rubbish. We’re just not good enough.

The final nail in the coffin was Rooney and his gesticulation to the fans in 2010 in the Algeria game. He was shit and couldn’t handle it. I lived in Cape Town and that was unforgivable. 

I have zero interest in the national team.

1 minute ago, DaveInSA said:

Since for a long time now, I can’t get excited about England and football.

it’s been rubbish for years. And will continue to be rubbish. We’re just not good enough.

The final nail in the coffin was Rooney and his gesticulation to the fans in 2010 in the Algeria game. He was shit and couldn’t handle it. I lived in Cape Town and that was unforgivable. 

I have zero interest in the national team.

That was the worst England game I had attended up to the fiasco v Iceland in 2016. Absolute shitshow of a match. 

27 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Ive watched every game actually marcus.

What makes you think i havent?

You say we are exciting?

I think its you thats watching the wrong team my friend.

We are exciting against the likes of Bulgaria, Montenegro, Moldova , teams we can bully. When any fairly decent opposition comes to town Southgate plays 7 defensive players and completely nullifies any attacking play. Plays his favourites and Mason Mount who he coached as U21 boss. He won't play Grealish because he doesn't want to be proved wrong by the media and fans, because he dismissed him as a Championship player. GS has proved to me he has a big ego and does not like anyone who will prove him wrong.

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

That was the worst England game I had attended up to the fiasco v Iceland in 2016. Absolute shitshow of a match. 

The 0-0 vs Algeria I would say is the worst display at a major Tournament England have ever had since 1-0 defeat to USA in 1950. We were utterly horrendous, the long balls to Heskey were embarassing. Against Iceland we just huffed and puffed a lot, to no avail.

Southgate reminds me of LJ. He has enough attacking players to give rival coaches nightmares, yet concentrates on stopping other teams playing by packing the midfield with defensive minded players.

Being a goal down with nothing happening, to bring Henderson on instead of Grealish just sums up his mindset.

He has to start selecting on form not past glories or how big a club you play for

15 hours ago, grifty said:

Imagine putting down the work he's done over the last 8-10 months and calling him a dinner lady. What a pathetic person you really must be. I bet I can have one easy guess as to why you don't like Rashford!

What's his work with school dinners got to do with his performance last night. Going forward are we going to pick the team on their WOKE credentials

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

What's his work with school dinners got to do with his performance last night. Going forward are we going to pick the team on their WOKE credentials

Sadly I worry that may be the case, due to pressure from big organisations and the corporate FA. Kudos to Rashford for doing what he's doing, but he shouldn't be exempt from some level of banter or criticism for his performances.

His man management skills are questionable.

As stan collymore pointed out, he played grealish, in a postion he had never played in his life, in a previous game.

Hes recently said, something like well grealish, isnt in gazzas leauge to the media.

Backed macguire, when he got arrested, then quickly backtracked.

Did somebody above tell him above he couldnt pick macguire?

Archived