IGNORED

Tony Collins

PHILINFRANCE

I saw this article earlier today and thought it might be of interest to some of our more senior readers.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12054240/tony-collins-the-first-black-manager-in-english-professional-football

Whilst I recall him being a scout and assistant, later caretaker, manager for City, I never realised that, if the article is accurate, he was the first black English manager to lead a club to a major UK final and remains the only* black British manager to do so.

*I thought that Chris Hughton was manager at Spurs when they got to the league cup final back in the late 1990s, but apparently not.  

54 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I saw this article earlier today and thought it might be of interest to some of our more senior readers.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12054240/tony-collins-the-first-black-manager-in-english-professional-football

Whilst I recall him being a scout and assistant, later caretaker, manager for City, I never realised that, if the article is accurate, he was the first black English manager to lead a club to a major UK final and remains the only* black British manager to do so.

*I thought that Chris Hughton was manager at Spurs when they got to the league cup final back in the late 1990s, but apparently not.  

Interesting, maybe Hughton isn’t eligible here because although English born he played for the Republic of Ireland as his Mother was born there, so isn’t considered British as a result?

Without revisiting the Republic’s “interesting” interpretation of eligibility in the past, this is a real grey area, as most people would definitely still see someone like John Aldridge as English, though in football terms he isn’t..

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting, maybe Hughton isn’t eligible here because although English born he played for the Republic of Ireland as his Mother was born there, so isn’t considered British as a result?

Without revisiting the Republic’s “interesting” interpretation of eligibility in the past, this is a real grey area, as most people would definitely still see someone like John Aldridge as English, though in football terms he isn’t..

I checked on WIKI, I know....

He also served as caretaker manager on two separate occasions. With Hughton on board, Tottenham finished in fifth place for two consecutive seasons (2005–06 and 2006–07), while also winning the Football League Cup in 1998–99. On 25 October 2007, Hughton was dismissed as assistant manager along with then manager Jol, following a UEFA Cup home defeat, in the group stages, to Getafe.

Perhaps CH was 'only' Assistant Manager to Martin Jol, hence the allocade remaining with Tony Collins.

48 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, it was only then that I realized he was "a person of colour" .

40 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly I remember him well and never once thought, oh he’s different/black/whatever. He was just Tony Collins.

27 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

World we live in nowadays i never even thought of TC as black..... 

Indeed, although, interestingly, our generation is frequently considered more racist than that of today.... 

Archived