IGNORED

Kasey Palmer to Swansea Confirmed - Season Long Loan

redpole

16 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I don't know the figures but when it comes to a run off games I wouldn't say he's had a long run in the first 11. Not compared to others who have stayed in the team no matter how they have performed.

I'd not say he's taken the chances when offered to him. One killer pass then two games of total anonymity seems about his average.  25 games, 1 goal is a poor return for an attack-minded midfielder.

Hmmm.

While the Morrell one was interesting but made sense, as we can’t be sure he’ll work out at this level, and at least got coin for him, I’m a little surprised at this one.

Bolstering what could be a direct rival (and local-ish one too) with a player who I definitely think is able to play at this level, and just needed to find a niche to do so.

Yes; one less central midfielder to compete for space but I’m not sure if this is the smartest move. Just hope I’m proven very wrong.

6 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Wow, this is an awful decision.

Sending a creative play maker to a direct rival. What on earth are we doing?? 

Madness. We must be so skint we are willing to support a rival 

Better he goes out on loan, even to another Championship club, than have a potentially discontented player around the club because he's not getting game time. He is clearly not in our plans in the short to medium term. We've got to get over this fear that he might be helping a Championship rival. Yes he might help Swansea, but he equally might help to defeat other rivals to our benefit. He also won't be able to play against us, although I've never understood that when he's not in our plans. We can't criticise LJ (and GJ before him) for worrying about the opposition and not imposing ourselves on them if we're going to get scared about loaning out a player we're not going to play. 

Don’t get the hype. My brother is a Blackburn fan and they were not impressed up there either. Kasey has had only flashes of good play in our side and generally been disappointing.

I wish him all the best, his only way back into our side now is doing well at Swansea this year. 

Good move for all in my book. Except maybe Swansea City FC.

Just now, markcarter said:

In what world is a squad of 25 ‘large’?  You need 18 for a match day squad (usually plus one or 2 in case of injuries or illness pre-match).  We already had 7 injuries at once about 2 weeks into the season which would leave us with just 18 players, including 3 goalkeepers ?‍♂️  And that’s before suspensions start kicking in. 

About a week or so ago we had 12 players competing for just 3 places in midfield.

The fact that we still have 9, Bakinson, Paterson, Weimann, Williams, Brunt, Walsh, O’Dowda, Nagy & Massengo suggests it is still large to me.

Not sure we ever had 7 injuries? Maybe 5? Baker, Kalas, Williams, O’Dowda & Walsh? 3 of whom are now available anyway. It was also certainly pretty miraculous that the now departed Morrell was always 100% fit when a Wales game was on the horizon..

I do think we have taken a bit of a gamble at CB but we think have plenty of cover everywhere else.

18 minutes ago, markcarter said:

It was 7 injuries.  Morrell & DaSilva added to the 5 you listed.  All at the same time.  That would now leave 18 players including 3 goalkeepers so we wouldn’t be able to field a full match day squad.  So 25 cannot be seen as a large squad.

I guess this is where you use the youngster on the bench like Ryley Towler, Sam Bell, etc.  Only 14 are gonna get on the pitch....and we can still sign out of contract players.

Was just preparing for next week’s Boro game, and noticed Ryan Shotton is without a club.  Only 31, one to keep tabs on.

I think he offered a glimmer of hope in a dull match on his debut, got rewarded with a song far too early and never quite lived up to the hype. Partly the fans fault, but certainly Lee (and perhaps Dean since), never got the best out of him either.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess this is where you use the youngster on the bench like Ryley Towler, Sam Bell, etc.  Only 14 are gonna get on the pitch....and we can still sign out of contract players.

Was just preparing for next week’s Boro game, and noticed Ryan Shotton is without a club.  Only 31, one to keep tabs on.

Don’t need a midfielder but nor does Jackson Irvine, which is baffling.

Shotton certainly wouldn’t fit the bill in terms of someone who could bring the ball out but if either Mawson or Kalas got injured would be an inferior version of the Ashley Williams signing last year.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think at centre back Holden will go with Rowe if we lose 2 of our current 4.

I think he’ll gamble that Rowe won’t be coming up against Villa every week should an emergency happen.

Maybe Brunt as a side left centre back is an option or even Bakinson as a sweeper would be considered. And then there's Towler who is very highly rated.

Sessegnon has even played there before I think in a game or two. As a side centre back with 2 proper centre backs alongside him maybe.

Age group only...hasn’t in senior football.  I did a bit of a cross check from Transfermarkt and Wyscout.

These things can be worked on in training and I expect he can find a temporary solution from those players if he needs to.

Rowe might have been very poor against Villa, but was very good against Exeter at least.

yep.  I reckon that’s what DH is gambling on.

I can't believe Holden would think 4 is enough if he did not trust whoever is his 5th option.

plus Baker could return in 6-8 weeks.

3 hours ago, Matthew me said:

1) good decision rather than paying all his wages, having him sulk about the place and not getting game time.

2) He won't play against us and may or may not do well at swansea- time will tell.

3) Total business sense- get most of his incredible wages off our books, reduce squad size and if he excels- we've got a great asset to use or to sell. We're not skint- we're just well run.

Like I say- you're a silly billy!

19 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

1) good decision rather than paying all his wages, having him sulk about the place and not getting game time.

2) He won't play against us and may or may not do well at swansea- time will tell.

3) Total business sense- get most of his incredible wages off our books, reduce squad size and if he excels- we've got a great asset to use or to sell. We're not skint- we're just well run.

Like I say- you're a silly billy!

£40m of debt and not owning our stadium.... Well ran?

Ok then...

Sounds like in his head he doesn’t want to ever come back judging by his wales online interview about his move to Swansea. No purchase agreed post loan but certainly making all the noises that he’d rather stay there in the long term.

be interesting to see how much game time he’s given over a long period and what cooper can get out of him.

11 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Sounds like in his head he doesn’t want to ever come back judging by his wales online interview about his move to Swansea. No purchase agreed post loan but certainly making all the noises that he’d rather stay there in the long term.

be interesting to see how much game time he’s given over a long period and what cooper can get out of him.

Read that yesterday.  Not a huge surprise either.

His transfer value last week was probably at a low.  It’s possible City have played a blinder (we will have to wait and see).

If he does well his transfer value goes up.  With Gibbs-White unlikely to be back until February, Swansea will need to make a decision on Palmer in early January, as City could pull the plug via the recall.

In that scenario Swansea might need to make the deal permanent in January.

Of course he might play crap.  But I can sort of see why City might not have pushed for an option to buy at this point.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Read that yesterday.  Not a huge surprise either.

His transfer value last week was probably at a low.  It’s possible City have played a blinder (we will have to wait and see).

If he does well his transfer value goes up.  With Gibbs-White unlikely to be back until February, Swansea will need to make a decision on Palmer in early January, as City could pull the plug via the recall.

In that scenario Swansea might need to make the deal permanent in January.

Of course he might play crap.  But I can sort of see why City might not have pushed for an option to buy at this point.

Didn't realise GW had suffered such a big injury. Big blow for them.

On 16/10/2020 at 19:01, Matthew me said:

What I like is we have a Manager who has inherited 12 midfield players, realises we cannot have squad harmony by having eight players stuck at home watching Soccer Saturday every week not to mention the pressure that puts on the wage bill in current circumstances and has made big decisions regardless of whether you, me or anyone else agrees with them.

Seems to me he is prepared to put his neck on the block and sort out the mess in one particular area of the squad left by previous recruitment policy which he would have had no say over.

The fact that Joe Morrell’s old man for starters has more respect for the guy who had just binned his lad than the one who kept him speaks volumes.

Archived