IGNORED

Kasey Palmer to Swansea Confirmed - Season Long Loan

redpole

Just now, Meh said:

Why do you dislike him so much? Curious.

Monumental waste of money, cost £3.5m, on £20k a week & has about one good game in 6.

No idea why we signed him, mediocre on loan, no better afterwards.

Loses possession in poor areas too often, tries passes that look amazing when they come off (Charlton at home) but rarely do.

Seems a good sort but not the right player for us at all.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Monumental waste of money, cost £3.5m, on £20k a week & has about one good game in 6.

No idea why we signed him, mediocre on loan, no better afterwards.

Loses possession in poor areas too often, tries passes that look amazing when they come off (Charlton at home) but rarely do.

Seems a good sort but not the right player for us at all.

You’ve also kinda basically described Pato. 

Would’ve been useful to have them both to cancel out each other’s dips in form. 

Also, Palmer has pretty much never had an extended run in the team. One mistake and he was cast out, meanwhile Pato could shoot Lee/Dean in the leg and he’d still start the next game. 

1 minute ago, Wade Wilson said:

Also, Palmer has pretty much never had an extended run in the team. One mistake and he was cast out, meanwhile Pato could shoot Lee/Dean in the leg and he’d still start the next game. 

Paterson’s form from his return on loan until the last few games was something Palmer has never, ever managed. He never gets a long run anywhere because he is never consistent often enough, look at his career at Huddersfield, Blackburn, us. He hasn’t even been selected to start a game at Swansea yet.

Weird that Paterson could do that but it was LJ sent him off on loan, eh?

All about opinion, I’ll be delighted if we get more than half what we paid for him back.

We just need a strong, athletic, forward-thinking player who’ll grab a few goals. Simples. 

Palmer could have been that guy.

Pato, CoD, Andi, individually or a combination of two of them, ain’t the answer as LJ proved, over and over again. Hopefully, Deano has someone up his sleeve as we don’t want to go through another LJ-like season. 

Would have been useful to have around I think, as would Eliasson but needs must I suppose and they needed regular football. 

I can’t help but feel we’ve lost players who can chip in with a few goals/assists, give us some more direct attacking intent and give opposition something to worry about.

Instead, we will be reliant on the likes of O’Dowda to come on and change games.....Wonderful.

1 minute ago, Slack Bladder said:

He'll probably help Swansea to a top six finish, while we scrabble around mid-table

So he scores a goal and he'll help Swansea to a top six finish ?

Bit knee jerk innit ?

And why the connection to us "scrabbling around" mid-table - is it somehow linked ?

Genuinely confused as to the point being made.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

So he scores a goal and he'll help Swansea to a top six finish ?

Bit knee jerk innit ?

And why the connection to us "scrabbling around" mid-table - is it somehow linked ?

Genuinely confused as to the point being made.

I wouldn't sign him for his goal scoring, so don't get hung up on the fact that he has scored a goal tonight

He is a talented player and in the right team will be very creative and from what I've seen Swansea do have a very good chance of a top six finish.

Our midfield is far from convincing and our defence is getting weaker by the game, I just can't us maintaining our early season form. Unless Walsh and Williams can make a difference (whenever they comeback)

I'd rather have KP than COD, just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

I wouldn't sign him for his goal scoring, so don't get hung up on the fact that he has scored a goal tonight

He is a talented player and in the right team will be very creative and from what I've seen Swansea do have a very good chance of a top six finish.

Our midfield is far from convincing and our defence is getting weaker by the game, I just can't us maintaining our early season form. Unless Walsh and Williams can make a difference (whenever they comeback)

I'd rather have KP than COD, just my opinion.

So would I, so would many, but there are several dynamics to why he’s ended up on loan, including his wages and our club’s budget.

I rate the guy.

He might find a better home at Swansea, but I think many posters need to watch this is one  over more than a single sub appearance (16 mins) and goal.  Those posters weren’t getting too excited when his 28 mins on the pitch versus Huddersfield turned from draw into defeat.

30 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Would have been useful to have around I think, as would Eliasson but needs must I suppose and they needed regular football. 

I can’t help but feel we’ve lost players who can chip in with a few goals/assists, give us some more direct attacking intent and give opposition something to worry about.

Instead, we will be reliant on the likes of O’Dowda to come on and change games.....Wonderful.

Come on now.

O’Dowda did change the game when he came on at Barnsley. :whistle:

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

We just need a strong, athletic, forward-thinking player who’ll grab a few goals. Simples. 

Palmer could have been that guy.

Pato, CoD, Andi, individually or a combination of two of them, ain’t the answer as LJ proved, over and over again. Hopefully, Deano has someone up his sleeve as we don’t want to go through another LJ-like season. 

What an utterly ridiculous post..! 

KP athletic..?! Wiemann & Pato, not..?! 

Don't want another competetive season, challenging in the championship..? 

I think some people forget where we've been for the majority of our history and that LJ was one of the most "successful" managers in our history. 

Whether that's an overall positive reflection or not, some people seem to think we have a history to rival the likes of Forest, Sheffield Wednesday or even Birmingham or Reading and are utterly deluded. 

That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it, but to belittle what progress our managers who have made progress is just bizzare..! 

6 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

Palmer is a very good player but he did not given the chanse. One bad game and he was not playing for a very long while, same with Eliasson. Look at COD and Pato, il ike Pato. COD have been here 3-4 seasons, not many assists and goals but he still is on the bench or starts. Pato, since he came back from Derby, have been good with scoring lots of goals. Think Palmer will do good in Swansea, If you want to be succsesful in this leauge the players like Palmer is important. Sorry it did not work for him in City.

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What an utterly ridiculous post..! 

KP athletic..?! Wiemann & Pato, not..?! 

Don't want another competetive season, challenging in the championship..? 

I think some people forget where we've been for the majority of our history and that LJ was one of the most "successful" managers in our history. 

Whether that's an overall positive reflection or not, some people seem to think we have a history to rival the likes of Forest, Sheffield Wednesday or even Birmingham or Reading and are utterly deluded. 

That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it, but to belittle what progress our managers who have made progress is just bizzare..! 

Righty ho. .....

Palmer .... I said ‘could’, not ‘was’. He’s shown glimpses of what he could do. Under the right manager and system he ‘could’ work as that intelligent, athletic player behind the front two/one.

LJ was given every opportunity, including that most rare, time and as a supportive owner that you could find in the EFL yet could not find the formula to take us to the Premiership. He failed and left a legacy of an unbalanced squad not fit for purpose. Arguably, with a collection of players less likely to deliver the Premier League than one he inherited from Cotts. 

I always look to aim high in terms of aspirations and standards. To be the largest Club never to have played in the Premier League is an embarrassment. I accept it’s a ‘Bristol thing’ to look for excuses to justify failure and in doing so, in my view, accepting of continuing failure. If our fan base believe we should do no better than friggin Reading (and the likes of Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Fulham et al) and are accepting of that, then we deserve to be shuffling around in mid-table in the second tier. 

I’m sure Pato and Andi will have more ‘purple patches’ where they look like Messi - probably tonight at Bournemouth. At what point though do you say that Pato is just too inconsistent and Andi -despite his high energy - just not impactful enough? Do you think at this stage in their careers they will develop and embrace this ‘player in the hole’ role given all the opportunities they’ve had?  Don’t even get me started on CoD. We need consistent 7/10 players in that ‘player in the hole’ role, with occasional 8’s. Not  one’s that give us 3-6/10’s with the odd 8’s thrown in.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Paterson’s form from his return on loan until the last few games was something Palmer has never, ever managed. He never gets a long run anywhere because he is never consistent often enough, look at his career at Huddersfield, Blackburn, us. He hasn’t even been selected to start a game at Swansea yet.

Weird that Paterson could do that but it was LJ sent him off on loan, eh?

All about opinion, I’ll be delighted if we get more than half what we paid for him back.

In fairness Pato got found out at Derby  As wasn’t a regular starter and they couldn’t send him back to us quick enough!

3 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Palmer is a very good player but he did not given the chanse. One bad game and he was not playing for a very long while, same with Eliasson. Look at COD and Pato, il ike Pato. COD have been here 3-4 seasons, not many assists and goals but he still is on the bench or starts. Pato, since he came back from Derby, have been good with scoring lots of goals. Think Palmer will do good in Swansea, If you want to be succsesful in this leauge the players like Palmer is important. Sorry it did not work for him in City.

None of us know what goes on behind the scenes. People wondered why Dele Alli had been dropped from Spurs, and then that video emerged of Jose calling him '****ing lazy' in training. If a player doesn't have the right attitude, he ain't gonna get picked. 

4 hours ago, RedRock said:

Righty ho. .....

Palmer .... I said ‘could’, not ‘was’. He’s shown glimpses of what he could do. Under the right manager and system he ‘could’ work as that intelligent, athletic player behind the front two/one.

LJ was given every opportunity, including that most rare, time and as a supportive owner that you could find in the EFL yet could not find the formula to take us to the Premiership. He failed and left a legacy of an unbalanced squad not fit for purpose. Arguably, with a collection of players less likely to deliver the Premier League than one he inherited from Cotts. 

I always look to aim high in terms of aspirations and standards. To be the largest Club never to have played in the Premier League is an embarrassment. I accept it’s a ‘Bristol thing’ to look for excuses to justify failure and in doing so, in my view, accepting of continuing failure. If our fan base believe we should do no better than friggin Reading (and the likes of Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Fulham et al) and are accepting of that, then we deserve to be shuffling around in mid-table in the second tier. 

I’m sure Pato and Andi will have more ‘purple patches’ where they look like Messi - probably tonight at Bournemouth. At what point though do you say that Pato is just too inconsistent and Andi -despite his high energy - just not impactful enough? Do you think at this stage in their careers they will develop and embrace this ‘player in the hole’ role given all the opportunities they’ve had?  Don’t even get me started on CoD. We need consistent 7/10 players in that ‘player in the hole’ role, with occasional 8’s. Not  one’s that give us 3-6/10’s with the odd 8’s thrown in.

You advocate Palmer and then make the highlighted statement

The two things simply don’t correlate 

I think it's a bit of a myth that Paterson has done exceptionally well since coming back from Derby. 

He did well for 2/3 games after coming back, then went quiet and was even out of the team again iirc. 

Then when the season restarted again he did well for a couple of games, (Even though at Blackburn away he was shite but scored) 

Then this season he's started reasonably well, but the past few games he's been poor again. 

So this makes me wonder, is Paterson a player you need to leave out for a few games at a time, to get a tune from him for the 2/3 after you do so. He seems to do well after a break. 

Perhaps thats the way to have success with Pato. The first game he really doesn't perform, you leave him out rather than letting that 1 turn into 4/5 before dropping him.

That's the reason I'd have kept Palmer. I worry certain players get too comfortable with their place in the team.

5 hours ago, RedRock said:

Righty ho. .....

Nobody is saying we shouldn't aim high and look to progress. But it's a fact that LJ oversaw one of our hugest sustained league periods in our clubs history. You can't just dismiss that either. 

I think we will see just how much Weimann gives us, now that he's not there to give it..! 

Pato, yes, inconsistent, but on his day is excellent. If he performed like that every week, he wouldn't be in the championship.

We should, if course, always be looking to upgrade on every player, when possible. 

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Nobody is saying we shouldn't aim high and look to progress. But it's a fact that LJ oversaw one of our hugest sustained league periods in our clubs history. You can't just dismiss that either. 

I think we will see just how much Weimann gives us, now that he's not there to give it..! 

Pato, yes, inconsistent, but on his day is excellent. If he performed like that every week, he wouldn't be in the championship.

We should, if course, always be looking to upgrade on every player, when possible. 

Agree.... thought the stars very much were in alignment for LJ with the Club he inherited... core of very decent players with potential, new stadium bounce, £££’s available for every conceivable football gizmo he could ever want and a decent kitty for transfers, established Academy producing talent (at last), ultra supportive Chairman, backroom staff of his choosing, decent crowds ......etc. 

I wasn’t Palmer’s greatest fan tbh, was surprised we signed him and think we massively overpaid ........ but he did have potential and was a central attacking midfielder rather than some form of ‘hybrid’ that are all too common among City’s attacking midfield ranks. 

This season, while only Northampton, while only the second half, he demonstrated to me at least he could perform that role with football intelligence. Positioning was good, had the ability to read the game and with the likelihood - given a run in the side - that he he could form partnerships with other players  ... the key to a successful team. 

TBH I struggle to think of anything that resembles a partnership in our attacking third at the moment, even with the most experienced and effective player that can form an attacking link role, probably in the Championship, being Chris Martin. 

We are beginning to look like (dare I say it) an LJ team of the last two seasons with a load of individuals running around in the final third without any real plan. While we are flying high and, indeed, scoring goals I do wonder if it can be sustained. 

Supportive of Holden though and looking forward to his new plan, given we look to be without Andi for the rest of the season. .... but if CoD is his answer it’s a no, no, no from me. Hopefully though, Holden/CoD will prove me wrong. I would genuinely be delighted if that were so. 

46 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I think it's a bit of a myth that Paterson has done exceptionally well since coming back from Derby. 

He did well for 2/3 games after coming back, then went quiet and was even out of the team again iirc. 

Then when the season restarted again he did well for a couple of games, (Even though at Blackburn away he was shite but scored) 

Then this season he's started reasonably well, but the past few games he's been poor again. 

So this makes me wonder, is Paterson a player you need to leave out for a few games at a time, to get a tune from him for the 2/3 after you do so. He seems to do well after a break. 

Perhaps thats the way to have success with Pato. The first game he really doesn't perform, you leave him out rather than letting that 1 turn into 4/5 before dropping him.

That's the reason I'd have kept Palmer. I worry certain players get too comfortable with their place in the team.

Performance wise I kind of agree with you, but he's looked really good in front of goal when he's had opportunities.

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

Agree.... thought the stars very much were in alignment for LJ with the Club he inherited... core of very decent players with potential, new stadium bounce, £££’s available for every conceivable football gizmo he could ever want and a decent kitty for transfers, established Academy producing talent (at last), ultra supportive Chairman, backroom staff of his choosing, decent crowds ......etc. 

I wasn’t Palmer’s greatest fan tbh, was surprised we signed him and think we massively overpaid ........ but he did have potential and was a central attacking midfielder rather than some form of ‘hybrid’ that are all too common among City’s attacking midfield ranks. 

This season, while only Northampton, while only the second half, he demonstrated to me at least he could perform that role with football intelligence. Positioning was good, had the ability to read the game and with the likelihood - given a run in the side - that he he could form partnerships with other players  ... the key to a successful team. 

TBH I struggle to think of anything that resembles a partnership in our attacking third at the moment, even with the most experienced and effective player that can form an attacking link role, probably in the Championship, being Chris Martin. 

We are beginning to look like (dare I say it) an LJ team of the last two seasons with a load of individuals running around in the final third without any real plan. While we are flying high and, indeed, scoring goals I do wonder if it can be sustained. 

Supportive of Holden though and looking forward to his new plan, given we look to be without Andi for the rest of the season. .... but if CoD is his answer it’s a no, no, no from me. Hopefully though, Holden/CoD will prove me wrong. I would genuinely be delighted if that were so. 

I'd agree with that. 

The problem we have now, with the number of injuries, is that we have to make do with the personel that we have. Which includes COD.

He wouldn't get I'm my team usually, if he's 1 of only 15? Fit players we have, then Holden doesn't have much choice other than to use him. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'd agree with that. 

The problem we have now, with the number of injuries, is that we have to make do with the personel that we have. Which includes COD.

He wouldn't get I'm my team usually, if he's 1 of only 15? Fit players we have, then Holden doesn't have much choice other than to use him. 

I would argue that we still have plenty of options.

1 minute ago, Bassomylord said:

I would argue that we still have plenty of options.

We can't fill our subs bench without promoting some accadamy players to the first team squad, so I'm not sure I'd class us as having "plenty" of options. 

So to summarise :

He scores one goal, and some of you wet yourselves, STILL dreaming he is a star player yet the evidence says he did (virtually) sweet FA for us whilst being paid a high wage. The comparisons with Pato are just mental - one of our most inventive creative players. 135 games for city and 20 goals. Pato does go missing at times during games, but KP went missing for most of the time he was at City

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

We can't fill our subs bench without promoting some accadamy players to the first team squad, so I'm not sure I'd class us as having "plenty" of options. 

That just isn't true. For example we could have....

Bentley hunt kalas Vyner Moore Dasilva bakinson brunt Paterson Martin wells as starting xi. With a subs bench of. O Leary, Rowe, nagy, massengo, odowda semenyo diedhiou.

I would also be interested to see what other championship clubs have youth players on their benches....I would imagine a large majority.

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

We have 18 plus JoJo, plus Towler and Edwards. Almost not enough, but not there yet ?

8 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

That just isn't true. For example we could have....

Bentley hunt kalas Vyner Moore Dasilva bakinson brunt Paterson Martin wells as starting xi. With a subs bench of. O Leary, Rowe, nagy, massengo, odowda semenyo diedhiou.

I would also be interested to see what other championship clubs have youth players on their benches....I would imagine a large majority.

Yes. True. 

Let's hope no more defenders get injured..! 

I think it's OK, but serious downgrade on a squad containing all those absent with injury. 

Archived