IGNORED

Our quickest player?

Simon bristol

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

A training video has Been uploaded into the club facebook page of the players doing sprint races, its not clear who the quickest is from the video. Who do we think is the quickest player on our books?

id say that once hes up and running that semenyo looks pretty rapid?

I was surprised how quick some of them looked in those sprints, Chris Martin for example! I think a couple of the quickest are out on loan, have a look at the video of Freddie Hinds setting up goals for Conway at Bath City over the weekend in the loan watch thread. Also Owura Edwards up at Grimsby looks very quick in their highlights. And then there's Cam Pring.

Also people who have watched the U23's say that Vince Harper is extremely rapid.

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The used to have a competition in the 90s, the fastest player from every club.

I recall tony daley was fast, and i think junior won it won year, or came 2nd?

I remember that. Would have liked to have Ivan Sproule take part. Wasn't he a sprint champion in his school days? 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I was surprised how quick some of them looked in those sprints, Chris Martin for example! I think a couple of the quickest are out on loan, have a look at the video of Freddie Hinds setting up goals for Conway at Bath City over the weekend in the loan watch thread. Also Owura Edwards up at Grimsby looks very quick in their highlights.

Pato neck and neck with Weimann (the son of the Austrian Women’s 100m hurdles record holder - at the time) surprised me.

3 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

John Williams from Coventry won it.  

22 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

A training video has Been uploaded into the club facebook page of the players doing sprint races, its not clear who the quickest is from the video. Who do we think is the quickest player on our books?

id say that once hes up and running that semenyo looks pretty rapid?

I don't know how quick he is, but looking at the video of him training I wouldn't like to be in the way of him - he looks very powerful. I've got a feeling that he's going to have a big season.

3 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I remember from some Q&A video with one of the players that Weimann was mentioned as being very quick.

You can tell when he's closing down the keeper he's got a bit of pace about him. Kalas looks like he would be very quick across 100m as well.

Kalas effortless looking too 

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Kalas effortless looking too 

Didn't he say in his recent interview that he was well into athletics when younger including the 100m ?

(I was listening whilst doing some work for a change - not too good at this multi-tasking malarkey)

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Taking a wild stab I'd say possibly Weimann or Hunt 

Hunt I reckon is one of the slowest. 

Thought it's been mentioned before that it's O'Dowda. 

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Would love to see them do that again. 

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

...but he missed the tap in at the end!

I reckon Ivan Sproule was one of the quickest we’ve had at AG.

His acceleration over the first 10 yards was blinding and then he was like “run Forest, run”!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Deion Vernon was very very fast.

I imagine now that Diedhiou would surprise people in a 100 metre sprint. I think the first metres speed is what really matters and I think the best in 100 metres would surprise people.

I think someone said a few seasons ago on here that Flint was our quickest or one of our quickest in a 100 metre sprint. Might have been LJ that said that actually.

From who I have seen play live Opi Edwards looks ridiculously quick. Not so sure on Owura as not seen him yet, but no doubt looks very very fast too.

I don't think we've had many really quick players over recent years. Wells is very quick over a short distance.

O'Dowda probably one of our quicker players but I think has slowed down a bit since that bad injury in 17/18.

Mickey Quinn used to say he was the quickest player in the Prem over two yards. ?

Might’ve been Sheringham who said the first yard is in your head.

Sprinting any distance in a flat race, like we saw in the training video doesn’t occur very often in a match.  

11 hours ago, Port Red said:

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/player-every-club-raced-100m-one-hangover-won/

Here is the list of who were the fastest at the time William's won, Bent on the list along with Donowa who also spent some time here

That was a good read, thanks. Keith Curle another one with City connections there. Michael Gilkes was another speedster wasn't he. I wonder what the prize money would have to be now for players to be tempted to take part?

19 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I remember it too, was it something like The Rumbelows (league Cup sponsor at the time) Sprint Challenge with the final on League Cup Final day at Wembley? 

Archived