IGNORED

The most vulnerable

TonyTonyTony

Peter Ridsdale on Championship clubs:

"My guess is there are at least half a dozen (clubs) that when it gets to Christmas and there's no solution, a number of them may well fold or go into administration"

Full story here

Who do we think are the most vulnerable in the Champ?

P.S Very unflattering photo of him btw

None of them are viable as companies at the moment and so I would say its all about which owners have the deepest pockets and who are least likely to want to cut their losses. I also wonder if there is likely to be a domino effect too.

Very uneducated guess here but I will say Coventry, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Cardiff and Wycombe as my 6 to fold before xmas.

Huddersfield are selling Karlan Grant plus are still getting PPs this year, they’ll be fine imho.

Wycombe, well run, are still acting like a Lg1 club but with Champ tv money income....will be fine also imho.

Barnsley decently run too.

The other 3 could have troubles though.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Huddersfield are selling Karlan Grant plus are still getting PPs this year, they’ll be fine imho.

Wycombe, well run, are still acting like a Lg1 club but with Champ tv money income....will be fine also imho.

Barnsley decently run too.

The other 3 could have troubles though.

To be honest I picked Huddersfield because I heard their new owners are not as good at the previous ones (although I know nothing else about them other than that), selling your goalscorer when you are a bottom 8 side strikes me as very worrying too.(although it could also be perceived as responsible and careful planning)

Wycombe because they're doing badly so it would be easy to cut their losses because not that many people will care, I believe they're American owned (feel like that might mean they're bad for the english game after the last week) but have never looked further into their ownership other than that, (one big thing going for them is that their costs will be much lower than the rest of the league and they will be receiving championship tv money too.)

And I don't know why but I just can't trust a Chinese investor who decides to invest in Barnsley (the town or the club), surely he's either crazy or has bad intentions.

So in conclusion my decisions were only based on hear say and dodgy stereotypes. ?

To be honest I was really hoping it is Cardiff...

Couple of clubs are serial over spenders, Derby, Reading & Wednesday as previously mentioned. Swansea still have some ridiculous wages to pay, too.

After that clubs like Rotherham & Wycombe might not be big spenders but are effectively League One clubs operating at Championship level so may also be vulnerable.

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

To be honest I picked Huddersfield because I heard their new owners are not as good at the previous ones (although I know nothing else about them other than that), selling your goalscorer when you are a bottom 8 side strikes me as very worrying too.(although it could also be perceived as responsible and careful planning)

Wycombe because they're doing badly so it would be easy to cut their losses because not that many people will care, I believe they're American owned (feel like that might mean they're bad for the english game after the last week) but have never looked further into their ownership other than that, (one big thing going for them is that their costs will be much lower than the rest of the league and they will be receiving championship tv money too.)

And I don't know why but I just can't trust a Chinese investor who decides to invest in Barnsley (the town or the club), surely he's either crazy or has bad intentions.

So in conclusion my decisions were only based on hear say and dodgy stereotypes. ?

Ta, I’d forgotten Barnsley ownership ??

5 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

This summer we’ve let 14 players leave, we’ve also sold our head coach, so we’ve got in around £7M in transfer fees, plus we’ve freed up a big lump of the wage budget, add to that the 8000 season tickets we’ve sold and it’s a good lump already, add to that the fact we’re actively looking to sell Mowatt & Woodrow before tomorrows deadline and we could be looking at over £10M recouped this summer. 

So far this summer we’ve signed 3 players for the first team squad and 2 for the under23s spending just over £1M ish. 

We’ve got our house in order, we’re a well run club, we’ll probably be relegated unless some clubs do fold, or enter administration, but I’d say our finances are sound at the moment. 

They sound like wealthy foreign owners who are happy to asset strip, rather than provide support?

8 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

It’s all about sustainability, they’re running the club as a viable business, they’re anticipating trouble ahead and getting in as much rainy day money as possible, as quick as possible, our owners are not thick, they know clubs are about to implode, they have stripped our out goings to the bare minimum, cashing in on our most valuable assets, because they believe they don’t need them to survive, because other clubs being run stupidly will save our championship status, And we’ll have enough money from this summers activities to continue as viable business for the foreseeable future. 

The above is just my opinion, but I’m sure I’m not far off. 

That’s good, but a lot of your fans seem very angry that Woodrow and Mowatt are likely to go. It’s difficult to balance survival (in the division) and sustainability.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Swansea made good cutbacks and sales post relegation and that's even predating Rodon sale. Unsure how wealthy or willing to invest their owners are though.

Ultimately any club with owners wealthy enough and willing to invest that to survive will be okay. That's the bottom line.

Any team in serious financial trouble just need to sell their stadium to Derby or Villa, surely?

Archived