IGNORED

Extended interview with FRANK FIELDING

Shtanley

Frankie Fielding is the newest ex-City player to come on the podcast and talk through his career.

He tells some tremendous stories and honestly had me in stitches multiple times.

Me and Pete had a lovely time over the course of the two hours and were very grateful for Frankie joining us!

As always we're keen to hear thoughts and feedback on the episode.

12 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh wow. Just heard the clip on FB. Is he talking about LJ?

I love FF, the man who kept proving Johnson wrong!

Why?

Did LJ think FF was a top six Championship /Prem in waiting quality  keeper ?

I love the character that is FF, top bloke but he had many flaws in his game and we tried to improve on the position with greater or lesser success. Nothing personal there , just a natural evolution and progression towards a higher level of player.

I repeat, Frankie Fielding, top top bloke and good, not extraordinary, keeper.

30 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Why?

Did LJ think FF was a top six Championship /Prem in waiting quality  keeper ?

I love the character that is FF, top bloke but he had many flaws in his game and we tried to improve on the position with greater or lesser success. Nothing personal there , just a natural evolution and progression towards a higher level of player.

I repeat, Frankie Fielding, top top bloke and good, not extraordinary, keeper.

I agree with all of the above. 

My point was that about 25 (slight exaggeration) keepers were brought in to replace FF, but he consistently proved he was better than all of them. Most of these keepers were brought in by LJ. 

4 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I thought FF's shot stopping was brilliant at time, but his distribution was terrible. Top Bloke though - used to live in Portishead and we had a couple of chats - very down to earth and quite shy really. 

I understand the tactic of kicking to the wings, but I honestly don’t understand why a “bright, modern coach” couldn’t come up with something more smart with a keeper who struggled to hit the target from dead ball situations.  It put unnecessary pressure on FF, gave up position, got the crowd groaning.

FWIW in open play from back passes etc FF had decent feet.

It was those stupid, bloody goal kicks to Joe Bryan, trying to hit a postage stamp sized target. Arghhhh!

Bloody lovely guy too.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I didn't really rate Fielding as highly as some. But he's a great guy. 

I don't think people rated him highly, they just argued he wasn't as bad as he was made out to be. I think he is an average keeper and his level is probably as a mid table championship player. 

I always found it funny on here when people loved O'Donnell and would talk about his distribution being better, only to then be showed a stat which had it worse than Franks. 

Solid pro, part of the double winning side, TOTS that year & just a top bloke. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

I always found it funny on here when people loved O'Donnell and would talk about his distribution being better, only to then be showed a stat which had it worse than Franks. 

Love FF but surely ROD didn't have better distribution?!

@Davefevs - Statto! Can you help?

Purely looking at goal kicks?

P.s. Great interview @Shtanley! Did he do it from a restaurant??

Enjoyed this.

Comes across as a lovely, decent, funny bloke.

Honest too, says on a number of occasions that he gave his best but knows he wasn’t the most talented.

Obvious also how much he loves Cotts, is 50/50 on LJ & had no absolutely time for SOD..

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Enjoyed this.

Comes across as a lovely, decent, funny bloke.

Honest too, says on a number of occasions that he gave his best but knows he wasn’t the most talented.

Obvious also how much he loves Cotts, is 50/50 on LJ & had no absolutely time for SOD..

Will listen later but what did he say about SO'D? That's interesting because wasn't it SO'D that bought him in?

54 minutes ago, Selred said:

Love FF but surely ROD didn't have better distribution?!

@Davefevs - Statto! Can you help?

Purely looking at goal kicks?

P.s. Great interview @Shtanley! Did he do it from a restaurant??

His takeaway arrived just as we went to hit record, so was eating during.

His headphones died with ten or so minutes to go which is why it got echoey all of a sudden.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Will listen later but what did he say about SO'D? That's interesting because wasn't it SO'D that bought him in?

He did sign him but then dropped him after a few games, then signed another keeper (Simon Moore).

I haven't listened yet either but I suspect it's to do with that.

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Basically worst 2 months of his career, that he relentlessly emphasised how well we were playing when the players knew they weren’t. The Brendan Rogers comment is also really telling.

Says they had a meeting on the day after a 3-0 home defeat & SOD kept going on about how good they had been.

Obvious how much more he enjoyed playing under Cotts & had far more respect for him.

20 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Frankie Fielding is the newest ex-City player to come on the podcast and talk through his career.

He tells some tremendous stories and honestly had me in stitches multiple times.

Me and Pete had a lovely time over the course of the two hours and were very grateful for Frankie joining us!

As always we're keen to hear thoughts and feedback on the episode.

Before today, I wasn't fond of podcasts or even Frankie Fielding for that matter.

Now I bloody love them! That was a great listen which offered brilliant insight into questions I've wanted answers to for years, great work! Frankie fielding, what a character! He must've been great for morale when he was at the club. Top top bloke. 

32 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Before today, I wasn't fond of podcasts or even Frankie Fielding for that matter.

Now I bloody love them! That was a great listen which offered brilliant insight into questions I've wanted answers to for years, great work! Frankie fielding, what a character! He must've been great for morale when he was at the club. Top top bloke. 

That's a lovely response, thanks! Have you listened to the other ex-player interviews?

Archived