IGNORED

The Independent's interview with Lee Johnson

phantom

One day he may become a successful manager if he learns to KISS - “Keep it simple, silly", "keep it short and simple", "keep it simple and straightforward" etc. Get the correct mix of players, formation and tactics and then just let the players play 

This is the line that I found the most difficult to read given that the vast majority of last season the players looked completely lost at whatever tactics he was trying to implement. Compare it to now and it’s even more obvious.

“First and foremost, it’s to simplify the complexity,” Johnson says, “to be able to relate your ideas and game models to make sure everybody understands. From that, the football club and the team gains an identity but also a structure. It’s a really good organisational tool.”

11 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Which means eff all during an actual game

What's that got to do with anything? The point is the drone hasn't been taken out after Johnson left and isn't something that was exclusively used by us because of Johnson.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We aren't the only club in the world to use modern technology in our training. About time we got with the times, we were basically training on school fields for years. There's many things to criticise LJ for, but introducing modern tech into elements of our training probably isn't one of them.

Technology is a great servant but a terrible master. 

All his 1%, marginal gains, and relentless pursuit for excellence talk is well and good but my first question to him in an interview would be why then did you never finish higher than 8th?

That talk works when you can back it up, otherwise you sound like a bit of a prat. The 1% is worth pursuing when you've got most of the other 99% in place!

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

That headline. Classic LJ.

It was about the tactical ideas,” Johnson remembers of his meetings with the rival managerial megastars. “It was interesting because it wasn’t just me firing questions. That’s what impressed me with Guardiola and Mourinho. I don’t think you can be as successful as they are without being top humans, top people. Obviously they’ve got very different media styles, but, in a one-to-one, you can sense they’ve both got a humility.

Have to say, I really do not miss this sort of David Brent drivel.

I was just excited Lee obviously thought they might have a shot at the City job one day ;)

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

One day he may become a successful manager if he learns to KISS - “Keep it simple, silly", "keep it short and simple", "keep it simple and straightforward" etc. Get the correct mix of players, formation and tactics and then just let the players play 

You’ve just complicated the KISS principle.

:rofl2br:

Gary Johnson is a far better manager than his son, and with a successful track record of promotions. He's now at Torquay, so not sure why LJ thinks he's entitled to a Championship management position. 

Stephen Lansdown has never financially backed a manager like he did LJ, without the largesse of a wealthy owner LJ will struggle. Perhaps he should follow Keith Millen's route assistant manager / coach.    

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Which means eff all during an actual game

Not really. It's all part of helping players understand shape in attack and defence. It's a 21st century version of a whiteboard. People are weirdly Luddite about things like this - but if we didn't implement this technology we'd be the ones left behind. It really isn't just us under LJ who used devices like this. 

LJ is a bit David Brent like and it did get tiresome - but the 1% marginal gains approach to sport is proven to be successful.

51 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

What's that got to do with anything? The point is the drone hasn't been taken out after Johnson left and isn't something that was exclusively used by us because of Johnson.

Exactly. People act like LJ is the only coach in history that's used modern tech.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really. It's all part of helping players understand shape in attack and defence. It's a 21st century version of a whiteboard. People are weirdly Luddite about things like this - but if we didn't implement this technology we'd be the ones left behind. It really isn't just us under LJ who used devices like this. 

LJ is a bit David Brent like and it did get tiresome - but the 1% marginal gains approach to sport is proven to be successful.

Exactly. People act like LJ is the only coach in history that's used modern tech.

Shape etc in training means eff all to shape etc in a game. I understand that others use the same technology but in my mind they over complicate what is a simple game.

Everything LJ has said in that interview has a certain merit and a lot of it makes sense.... BUT he makes it sound so difficult to understand, especially to 20-something year old footballers.

The one thing I don't think he ever got his head around is how to simplify his theories to make them easier to absorb mentally by the players.

It became almost as if he was trying to be too clever for his own good. 

17 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Shape etc in training means eff all to shape etc in a game. I understand that others use the same technology but in my mind they over complicate what is a simple game.

No it doesn’t. The best teams work on shape constantly. It’s not ‘over complicating’ it necessarily - it’s bringing our training in-step with our competitors. We aren’t the only team using modern tech, far from it.

It’s a naive point of view to think other teams just train with a set of old bibs and cones.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I didn't say that though did I so please don't try and quote what wasn't implied.

Obviously not, but you can see the point I’m making. Training techniques and analysis have moved on. People are a bit Luddite about it and see it as ‘superfluous newfangled nonsense’ but the reality is that it’s not just an LJ thing. It’s moving with the times. Using a drone to show shape isn’t strange in 2020.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Obviously not, but you can see the point I’m making. Training techniques and analysis have moved on. People are a bit Luddite about it and see it as ‘superfluous newfangled nonsense’ but the reality is that it’s not just an LJ thing. It’s moving with the times. Using a drone to show shape isn’t strange in 2020.

I expect it to move into academy footballs younger age groups in some clubs (Cat1 mostly), great educational tool for young players

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Never said it was and just said I didn't see the point. Anyone who has played the game will understand that shape in training is rarely the same as shape in an actual game. If it was then it would be all to easy. Why is it not the same ? I suppose team tactics (for both sides) could be one reasonable answer.

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Never said it was and just said I didn't see the point. Anyone who has played the game will understand that shape in training is rarely the same as shape in an actual game. If it was then it would be all to easy. Why is it not the same ? I suppose team tactics (for both sides) could be one reasonable answer.

I’m not so sure. I think it probably is very useful. Same principle as a traditional whiteboard but obviously much more interactive. Cotterill was obsessed with shape work in training apparently. 

Archived