IGNORED

The Independent's interview with Lee Johnson

phantom

6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Never said it was and just said I didn't see the point. Anyone who has played the game will understand that shape in training is rarely the same as shape in an actual game. If it was then it would be all to easy. Why is it not the same ? I suppose team tactics (for both sides) could be one reasonable answer.

Training is filmed by every club in the country, why does it matter if its from a drone or from a gantry? 

For the drone it will be used for a lot of things like practicing distances between lines, width etc. Birds eye view simply is the best view for these things now technology allows it.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m not so sure. I think it probably is very useful. Same principle as a traditional whiteboard but obviously much more interactive. Cotterill was obsessed with shape work in training apparently. 

My point is that until a team sheet is announced then you are unlikely to understand the shape that your opponent will play. Conversely they can change their shape at any time by changing tactics. Mind you, so can we so it works both ways. In my tiny mind concentration needs to be drilled in as to how to play as a cohesive unit and how to adapt to changes during the course of play. I fail to see how a drone can aid in this.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My point is that until a team sheet is announced then you are unlikely to understand the shape that your opponent will play. Conversely they can change their shape at any time by changing tactics. Mind you, so can we so it works both ways. In my tiny mind concentration needs to be drilled in as to how to play as a cohesive unit and how to adapt to changes during the course of play. I fail to see how a drone can aid in this.

Well you get a very good idea through opposition analysis, Holden has played the same system every game so Barnsley will be almost banking on us playing the same way again. Even if shape changes then if you're looking at working on blocking passing channels as part of a defensive system which ignores opposition style then you get an aerial view of how well you're managing distances in height and width etc.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

OK. Now I say this as a fan of LJ but there seems to be some rewriting of history here. 

When we played Manchester United, he said he bought a top bottle of Portuguese wine to drink with Jose because he heard it was his favourite. But afterwards, he said that Jose left without coming back to the dressing room and that the coaches drank it all between them. So which version is true?

They don't contradict.

He bought the wine because he heard its Mourinho's favourite, AND Jose left?

It's like someone making a meal that I like for when I get home, but me not knowing this got a takeaway because I was hungry.

Me having a takeaway doesn't mean the other person didn't make the meal.

Jose quite famously sulked and didnt do media after the game.

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

They don't contradict.

He bought the wine because he heard its Mourinho's favourite, AND Jose left?

It's like someone making a meal that I like for when I get home, but me not knowing this got a takeaway because I was hungry.

Me having a takeaway doesn't mean the other person didn't make the meal.

Jose quite famously sulked and didnt do media after the game.

Well they do contradict if he says they had a chat about tactics, when did that happen, surely not before the game?

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Well they do contradict if he says they had a chat about tactics, when did that happen, surely not before the game?

Or at a later point.

But yes, if he's saying that he had a discussion with Mourinho about tactics on the night of the game, after it was played and that Mourinho didn't turn up for a chat after the game so they drank the wine, then that could be contradictory, though the two things still do not make themselves exclusive to the scenario.

Not saying this is the case, but as an example, Mourinho doesn't turn up when the managers usually have a drink and chat after the game, so the wine gets opened. Once Jose finished sulking he then turns up.

Both statements are still true.

2 hours ago, sinenomine said:

Honestly don't get the obvious hate for him, it's not like he got us relegated - we were a solid championship side under him.

Yeah, it's not the success we all wanted but it hardly warrants the abuse he gets (direct or implied) on here. 

It’s embarrassing.

yet the man who was taking us back to league one gets treated like a messiah 

I think we might laugh but Lee is not daft, yes he did overthink his football towards the end of his time here, but he will learn from it, and he will come to bite us in the ass at some point.  Just remember we sold all our best assets, and put him in a position where he had to improve year on year, and sign new replacements.  Selling Josh Brownhill on the last day was a disaster, and I think that was more Ashton than Lee, yes he lost the plot but you cant deny when you watch the premier league and see, a number of ex Bristol City players most of that was down to Lee, that many times is not an accident.  

How is he still banging on about the time he spent about an hour with the red arrows. It’s got **** all to do with anything. I do not miss his bull shit in any way. The only intelligent thing he said is you need to fill your team with people with expertise, something Holden did well and instantly without blowing his own trumpet m.

Johnson talks a good game until you’ve heard it 100 time’s and then you see it for what it is, pure bull shit.

This may not be a popular opinion - and regardless of whether he goes on to have a glittering coaching career or not - LJ's time was up here....but:

Personally the more I think about it, the more I think he doesn't get the respect, or rather recognition he deserves.

Yes things, at the moment, look up with DH (long may that continue) but let's be honest here - DH was able to come in and hit the ground running. 

In another thread right now we're celebrating a successful transfer window...yet:

9 of the 11 players in the team that has gone 4/4 LJ signed or gave debuts to. 

Add to that the increased quality of player we have signed has gone up every window because under LJ we signed/developed players to sell on in a way we've never done before.

Yes fine, in the end it went stale, but "stale" mainly in relation to the highest expectation - promotion. 

I know many hated this word, but for me the progression under LJ was huge, we've leaped forward as club in so many ways. Not just because of him, but he contributed in so many ways that don't get recognition. Yes he doesn't have the silverware to show for it, but his impact was still there. 

Fine, some of the chat got tiresome at the end and several of the methods weren't working, perhaps he got too big for his boots - but if DH does the unthinkable and get us up, it will, IMO be in large part to the foundations laid by LJ.

Because despite all his talking a good game, he may not have achieved the ultimate goal, but he still got a hell of a lot of shit done at BCFC.

9 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

This may not be a popular opinion - and regardless of whether he goes on to have a glittering coaching career or not - LJ's time was up here....but:

Personally the more I think about it, the more I think he doesn't get the respect, or rather recognition he deserves.

Yes things, at the moment, look up with DH (long may that continue) but let's be honest here - DH was able to come in and hit the ground running. 

In another thread right now we're celebrating a successful transfer window...yet:

9 of the 11 players in the team that has gone 4/4 LJ signed or gave debuts to. 

Add to that the increased quality of player we have signed has gone up every window because under LJ we signed/developed players to sell on in a way we've never done before.

Yes fine, in the end it went stale, but "stale" mainly in relation to the highest expectation - promotion. 

I know many hated this word, but for me the progression under LJ was huge, we've leaped forward as club in so many ways. Not just because of him, but he contributed in so many ways that don't get recognition. Yes he doesn't have the silverware to show for it, but his impact was still there. 

Fine, some of the chat got tiresome at the end and several of the methods weren't working, perhaps he got too big for his boots - but if DH does the unthinkable and get us up, it will, IMO be in large part to the foundations laid by LJ.

Because despite all his talking a good game, he may not have achieved the ultimate goal, but he still got a hell of a lot of shit done at BCFC.

People criticised LJ for it being cotts players, will people saying it’s LJ’s players? 

I really wanted LJ to suceed here, as probably most fans did.  But when he is still banging on about "world class basics" etc, I can't help thinking that just an "ordinary basic" for a good manager is the ability to grind out a few draws and 1-0 wins when the team is struggling, rather than the regular shockers that we had to endure on the "Streaky Lee" bad runs.  These crazy winless/pointless runs were his undoing as Head Coach, he just could not eradicate this from his managerial "identity".  I don't think he has ever been asked to explain this "streakyness" by any media operator, yet it was key to his ultimate dismissal from our club.

“World class basics” Is a shining example of Lee Johnson. 

He reminds me of me, writing a dissertation... I’ve finished, but I’ve not reached the word count. So I’ve gotta go back through it all and finds ways of flowering it up to get more words in, the sort of shit that I think will make me sound clever. 

World class basics simply means Basics. There’s no need for for 66% of the phrase. And therein lies LJ’s problem... the grass measuring, spending time with the NHS and SAS... and the ******* red arrows. All bullshit that is done and spoken about with the intention of hoping people will see him as a trailblazer with initiative. 

Sort of ironic then that his world class managerial basics were missing. Playing players in their Natural position. Having a settled formation and playing to your own teams strengths for example.

I don’t necessarily dislike the job LJ did at City, but I’m afraid when he comes to talking about himself, he’s his own biggest fan and comes across as a bullshitter and to be quite frank, a bit of a cock.

So, in the slim eventuality that you’re reading this Lee, keep the undoubted passion, but please stop trying to impress with all of your blue sky thinking bullshit... it doesn’t half grate!

Drones - Fair Play

NHS - Fair play

SAS - Fair play

Red Arrows - fair play

Talking about it every opportunity - boring.... Like finishing 8th and not using all that practical knowledge from the above well trotted out stories to give us success. 

HE established us as a championship club - fair play....

Let's just leave it there.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t necessarily dislike the job LJ did at City, but I’m afraid when he comes to talking about himself, he’s his own biggest fan and comes across as a bullshitter and to be quite frank, a bit of a cock.

It’s a family trait. 

12 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Or at a later point.

But yes, if he's saying that he had a discussion with Mourinho about tactics on the night of the game, after it was played and that Mourinho didn't turn up for a chat after the game so they drank the wine, then that could be contradictory, though the two things still do not make themselves exclusive to the scenario.

Not saying this is the case, but as an example, Mourinho doesn't turn up when the managers usually have a drink and chat after the game, so the wine gets opened. Once Jose finished sulking he then turns up.

Both statements are still true.

He was misquoted. It wasn't tactics they talked about, it was TicTacs. 

During the game LJ offered Jose a TicTac, telling him that he found they helped stop his mouth drying during a game.

Jose replied "You wanna talk TicTacs, I'll tell you about TicTacs. I used to go with TicTacs but now ima Polo man, as they are more minty but for playing at Old Trafford I switch to Polo Fruits and especially like the purple - the special one'. 

Well, if ever I'm required to develop a case study on 'ennui' the final two years tenure of WeeLee at The Gate won't need much fleshing out.

It was when he stated spouting such drivel one knew the end was nigh so beggars belief we stuck with him for those final two seasons.

1 hour ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Lots of interest in LJ still isn’t there....a£450 bottle of wine to the person who correctly predicts where he’ll manage next.....

Yeovil 

You can’t begin to work on marginal gains until you have the basics sorted.

i think he thinks those basics are implied and he can then launch into all these little bits and pieces that can make the difference but unless you have the basics drilled and planned then it’s utterly pointless to begin to look at the 1%

I like the guy, he did well here in many things but I think he’s fallen far to far down the footballing rabbit hole

Archived