IGNORED

Dealings in transfer window(s)

Silvio Dante

So, now both windows have “slammed shut”, we know where we are until January - and we can have a reasonable assessment of how we think we’ve done in the period. Ignoring youth players, as long as my memory is correct, I think we’ve done the following:

Goalkeepers

Out : Maenppa (Released)

In: O’Leary (End of Loan)

Verdict: Looks to be a trade up here. I liked Niki, but at 33 and with a patchy injury record, having the much younger Max in place with a good L1 season behind him, I’d say I’m happy with the squad change

Defence

Out: Wright (Sunderland), Benkovic (End of Loan), Pereira (End of Loan), Williams (Released)

In: Sessegnon (Fulham), Moore (End of Loan), Mawson (Fulham), Wright (End of Loan)

Verdict: Basically, 4 for 4 here. Not counting Vyner as he came back in January and returned post lockdown after injury. If he stays fit, you have to call Mawson a Wright upgrade, I’m more of a fan of Moore than Benkovic (although better post lockdown) - it’s probably too early to compare Sess with Pedro, but they’re both essentially the back up RB. On the basis of “knowns” I’m happier with what we have rather than what we had - and when you add in Baker/Vyner there’s good competition at CH (IIRC Bakes due back in December)

Midfield

Out: Szmodics (Peterborough), Palmer (Swansea), Eliasson (Rimes), Morrell (Luton), Smith (Swansea)

In: Morrell (End of Loan), Walsh (End of Loan), Williams (Wigan), Bakinson (End of Loan), Brunt (WBA), Szmodics (End of Loan)

Verdict: Ignoring Morrell, 4 out and 4 5 in. The noticeable thing on the outs is that other than Korey, they’re all “flair” players. The other noticeable thing is that they never secured a place in the side on a consistent basis. I was never as big a fan of Nic as others, and I’m pushed to see any of them as a “loss”. We seem to have signed players now to fit the system as opposed to square pegs - I’ve not seen Joe Williams but he’s highly rated and even with his age, Brunt should be able to do a decent job in small spurts. Walsh we’re all excited to see and Bakinson - so far, what a bonus. On the basis of the players really fitting the side now, again, has to be a win (however I will always miss Korey Smith!)

Attack

Out: Taylor (Oxford), Afobe (End of Loan)

In: Taylor (End of Loan), Semenyo (End of Loan), Martin (Derby)

Verdict: Benik - what might have been. Had he not got injured, there would be a different verdict in this section and also potentially in midfield for KP. As we stand though, Chris Martin may be one of the most important signings we’ve made in recent times. The intelligence, strength, unselfish play - all attributes Derby fans said he had have been to the fore. Again, it’s about “fit” - he fits the system better than Fam, and with Antoine looking a different player, we look far better stocked in attack than last year. Matty Taylor leaves with head high and was far more than just an “annoy Rovers” purchase but it’s hard to argue we haven’t upgraded overall - Beniks injury considered 

So, 12 out and 14 in. Each section looks stronger (or not weaker), and it looks like a more balanced squad who are set up for the desired system.

I’d have taken that at window opening.

Looks to be a trade up here

What does that mean?  I think your analysis is 1 to zip here.

It's also confusing that you have the same players coming in and going out, when we only really care about the eventual outcome.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I think:

Goalies - worse off

Defence - about the same

Midfield - much better

Forward - slightly better

So, a small positive outcome.

What an excellent window in the transfer market we have just witnessed

Get our business done early; then take our time to sort out the 'deadwood,' then sell or loan out the fringe.

Shame about Morrell, but where would he have played?

Equal shame about Eliason but he was a poor man's Walshy shuffle and lacking in that arrogance in front of goal to be more than a left sided 'chipper'

Shipping out KP Nuts is a great bit of business; always seemed too slow for us and for someone with so much ability he looked like he was walking through treacle.

He never looked fit, if he gets game time in Wales he might sharpen up, but realistically i can't see him coming back to us; just a shame about the 3.5m fee.

Looking back to previous windows dare I say it of the 3 we bought from Chelsea, with their injury records, none of those signings have been ever present and playing well enough to justify the fuss.

Kalas is great (when fit) palmer still isn't fit and Dasilva is out with a 'long termer' again.

COYR

8 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

Get our business done early; then take our time to sort out the 'deadwood,' then sell or loan out the fringe.

Equal shame about Eliason but he was a poor man's Walshy shuffle and lacking in that arrogance in front of goal to be more than a left sided 'chipper'

Shipping out KP Nuts is a great bit of business; always seemed too slow for us and for someone with so much ability he looked like he was walking through treacle.

He never looked fit, if he gets game time in Wales he might sharpen up, but realistically i can't see him coming back to us; just a shame about the 3.5m fee.

Looking back to previous windows dare I say it of the 3 we bought from Chelsea, with their injury records, none of those signings have been ever present and playing well enough to justify the fuss.

Kalas is great (when fit) palmer still isn't fit and Dasilva is out with a 'long termer' again.

COYR

Ted Moult would be proud. 

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

COYR

Dasilva’s fit

A very impressive window overall. We can all sit here and pick it apart until even the bones are gone.

But the signings of Martin and Mawson are top notch. Getting rid of palmer and extracting a fee for eliasson is astute business that may not make us a fortune but will save us a pretty penny in what otherwise wouldve been dead wages. Morrell is at best an unfortunate casualty of bakinsons good fortune, if you could call it that.

I'd say if anyone is genuinely unhappy at the business we have done they're being too negative.

Certainly one that had far more coherence & logic than many before it.

All 5 signings were direct replacements for players who have left us & with the possible exception of the untried Sessegnon & Brunt, (who won’t be a starter as often as Korey), are all clear trade ups.

In a very difficult market I think we did as well as possible on the selling front, though would have preferred a permanent deal for Palmer.

Agree that it's been good business. 

I've not been keeping an eye on things over the last 2 weeks, so can someone  infirm the situation with Fammy please..? 

Still here, I assume, which is great - but has he signed the contract offer or is he seeing it out and leaving on a free at the end of the season, which would seem a real shame. 

3 hours ago, where's the joy said:

COYR

Started off great and then just turned into a load of old nonsense 

33 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Agree that it's been good business. 

I've not been keeping an eye on things over the last 2 weeks, so can someone  infirm the situation with Fammy please..? 

Still here, I assume, which is great - but has he signed the contract offer or is he seeing it out and leaving on a free at the end of the season, which would seem a real shame. 

Either way it suits us,great player to have on the bench because he won’t down tools 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Chivs said:

It's also confusing that you have the same players coming in and going out, when we only really care about the eventual outcome.

Don't want to be critical of what otherwise is an interesting read.

But agree to me those that returned but since left confuse the issue 

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Don't want to be critical of what otherwise is an interesting read.

But agree to me those that returned but since left confuse the issue 

Agree to a degree. I wondered how to pitch it as in effect Max, Taylor, Liam etc have to be considered “ins” as they weren’t in our squad post Jan. Once I got to that, I thought it only fair to include the 4 (Wright, Morrell, Szmodics, Taylor) who’ve come and gone. Guarantee if I’d have left, say, Sammie out of the “outs” I’d have been told i missed him. No perfect solution!

I do think people's views on the window are possibly a bit rose tinted due to us sitting in top spot. 

If we start to lose a few I await a serious re-write. We do seem light at CB and a couple of  injuries could cause serious issues. 

I'm not convinced personally that our midfield has enough attack-minded players to mount a serious challenge. Pato has been good but we know he can be inconsistent. I guess playing a striker like AW in MF could be the answer, it's working so far. 

I think our points tally is a bit misleading due to Bentley's heroics. Our defence needs to continue the improvement in goals against without relying on worldie saves from him. If we can do that then maybe we can stay up there but much too early yet to judge how good the squad is. 

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I do think people's views on the window are possibly a bit rose tinted due to us sitting in top spot. 

If we start to lose a few I await a serious re-write. We do seem light at CB and a couple of  injuries could cause serious issues. 

I'm not convinced personally that our midfield has enough attack-minded players to mount a serious challenge. Pato has been good but we know he can be inconsistent. I guess playing a striker like AW in MF could be the answer, it's working so far. 

I think our points tally is a bit misleading due to Bentley's heroics. Our defence needs to continue the improvement in goals against without relying on worldie saves from him. If we can do that then maybe we can stay up there but much too early yet to judge how good the squad is. 

Agree with you that we have taken a gamble at CB but do think we have plenty of cover everywhere else.

Of course a defeat or two might change things on here but overall by adding Mawson, Joe Williams & Martin to the spine, effectively replacing Ashley Williams, Korey & Afobe, seems like good business no matter what rants happen on here.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with you that we have taken a gamble at CB but do think we have plenty of cover everywhere else.

Of course a defeat or two might change things on here but overall by adding Mawson, Joe Williams & Martin to the spine, effectively replacing Ashley Williams, Korey & Afobe, seems like good business no matter what rants happen on here.

I think we are starting to see a much improved Nahki Wells too.  We didn’t see the best of him last season, but he is gradually getting to be a team player.

Archived