IGNORED

Barnsley v Bristol City Match Day 5

What is pleasing, and it's been demonstrated already a few times this season, is that we showed we can have a poor/indifferent first half and improve in the second without having to go all scorched earth at half time by making a load of subs and changing the system completely.

That can have a real benefit in the long run as it gives the players belief and confidence in what they're being asked to do.

Just now, Wade Wilson said:

Maybe this is just me but I hate it when we take it to the corner to time waste. Surely, surely, trying to score a 3rd is a better use of our time. Failing that, just keep possession, pass it around or just absolutely cane your shot or cross over. It cost us here, it cost us against Wigan season before last. I hate it, I don’t even do it on FIFA ffs. 

Agreed. A sence of disbelief in yourself/incompetence from staff 

1 minute ago, Wade Wilson said:

Maybe this is just me but I hate it when we take it to the corner to time waste. Surely, surely, trying to score a 3rd is a better use of our time. Failing that, just keep possession, pass it around or just absolutely cane your shot or cross over. It cost us here, it cost us against Wigan season before last. I hate it, I don’t even do it on FIFA ffs. 

Agreed. Unless your really good at it, it doesn't waste much time.  And we are never that good at it.

Barnsley were weak, weak, weak and I'd rather we just attacked throughout than tried to defend a one goal lead. 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agreed. Unless your really good at it, it doesn't waste much time.  And we are never that good at it.

Barnsley were weak, weak, weak and I'd rather we just attacked throughout than tried to defend a one goal lead. 

Right?! It wastes way less time than a cross, a goal kick, pretty much anything and since there’s usually 2-3 players crowding it you’re horribly exposed when it goes wrong. Which it nearly always does. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

it was a foul....if it was in the box its a penalty.  Its frustrating, but that's football.  We haven't played well and had enough chances to finish them off.  Lets not forget we showed good character to come from 1-0 down to lead 2-1 within 10 minutes of the restart.  Every point in the Championship is a point gained.

Admire the optimism Dave but that’s very much two points needlessly dropped imho especially once we did so well to come from behind. It shouldn’t mask a fantastic start to the season though but it’s still incredibly frustrating. 

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Sitting back with men behind the ball and letting them have possession is a bad idea I'd agree but I didn't think we did that, we defended in depth but we also threatened on the break and had more possession and more chances.  It was all going fine.

Thank you....yep it wasn't park the bus....it was a tactical change to make us compact when they had the ball.  In fact most of the time, we forced them back and looked a threat in the last few minutes.  We didn't sit deep per se.

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Admire the optimism Dave but that’s very much two points needlessly dropped imho especially once we did so well to come from behind. It shouldn’t mask a fantastic start to the season though but it’s still incredibly frustrating. 

I'm not down so I don't need optimism ?

14 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Inside the box or not, O’Dowda gave the referee a decision to make with what should have been the second to last kick of the game. Reckless to say the least and wholly unnecessary given the Barnsley players position and the cover we had. 

The two points he’s cost us aside, it’s still a fantastic start to the season, with more strength in depth to come from Williams, Walsh, Kalas, Dasilva and Baker returning from injury or form. 

5 games unbeaten and top. You’d have been aubergine emoji’d if you called that at the beginning of the season. 

Hear hear,the problem is performances haven’t been great,thankfully we have quality going forward that will always get goals but if that stops then we will be in trouble because our in game ability to rotate the ball is nonexistent at times 

Thing is we should have killed the game off and got a third. 30 seconds after coming on Semenyo would have likely scored our third if only Pato had got his head up and squared the ball. 

As others have said COD did really well except for the stupud challenge at the end, but it would have been safer to bring Fam on instead of COD and he would have won that defensive header cleanly.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not down so I don't need optimism ?

Don’t know if this has been raised elsewhere, but given that they like a corner to the far post, should we have had a defender on that post for corners? Could’ve possibly avoided the first goal if we had? 

TBH if we were 2-1 down and snatched a last-minute goal everyone would've been chuffed to bits.  It was the other way around and folk are depressed and furious.  But the end result is identical.

We didn't do enough in the first half at all by the sounds of it. We made a poor club look decent.

39 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH if we were 2-1 down and snatched a last-minute goal everyone would've been chuffed to bits.  It was the other way around and folk are depressed and furious.  But the end result is identical.

We didn't do enough in the first half at all by the sounds of it. We made a poor club look decent.

so so true,with better finishing,we could have been losing that game and desperate for a draw come the finish

Just read the text of Holden's post match comments, in particular those relating to the penalty. They are spot on. The Barnsley player played for the penalty, got it and got injured from the resulting collision. DH recognized this and wished him well. The ref. gave the penalty largely on the strength of the potential severity of the injury. He was wrong but the game was over after the pen went in. Warnock and even LJ would have gone on and on about it. Holden didn't and he was right not to.  What would have been the point? A draw was a fair result over the whole game and we should learn from a pretty shoddy first half performance and be grateful for a point away from home..  

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Thing is we should have killed the game off and got a third. 30 seconds after coming on Semenyo would have likely scored our third if only Pato had got his head up and squared the ball. 

As others have said COD did really well except for the stupud challenge at the end, but it would have been safer to bring Fam on instead of COD and he would have won that defensive header cleanly.

Barnsley tweaked their system, Luke Tomas went RW as part the subs, so they ended up getting overloads on Rowe.  We’d initially gone 3421 (5221) when Martin came off then 541 when Callum came on, so that Weimann supported Rowe and O’Dowda covered Rowe.  I thought we did it pretty well....until that final ball towards the box.  We broke a few times....and perhaps the lesson is we need to be more clinical on the counter.  I didn’t see it as a defensive change, more a way of stopping Barnsley getting balls wide and creating easy 2 on 1s.  Even Tinnion was impressed that we kept forcing the, back and pinched it off them.

3 hours ago, sludge said:

Don’t know if this has been raised elsewhere, but given that they like a corner to the far post, should we have had a defender on that post for corners? Could’ve possibly avoided the first goal if we had? 

It seems as if we are happy to leave the posts free this season.  I did call out the far post corner / runs in my preview, but if Vyner marks properly he doesn’t score.  Also Max got caught flat footed so couldn’t back-pedal and palm / punch it away.

You can bet your bottom dollar when Barnsley saw our team sheet, Murray said - whatever you do, get a ball on top their keeper first chance you get.

The last kick of the game = two points dropped, so to feel frustrated/disappointed is entirely understandable. However, to single out COD, as posters here and on a separate thread have strikes me as unnecessary. I dislike scapegoating but it is notable that ZV was badly at fault for their opener. 

Dean Holden was spot on with his post match comment... it’s now about how we respond to our first bloody nose.

44 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

The last kick of the game = two points dropped, so to feel frustrated/disappointed is entirely understandable. However, to single out COD, as posters here and on a separate thread have strikes me as unnecessary. I dislike scapegoating but it is notable that ZV was badly at fault for their opener. 

Dean Holden was spot on with his post match comment... it’s now about how we respond to our first bloody nose.

Agree, win as a team, draw as a team, lose as a team.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

How does the ref add on time? It seems to be give a random number, let's say 4 minutes. We get to 4 minutes or so and oh hang on wait the team losing are going on an attack, I'll blow up when this attack is over. Ridiculous. Always thought this, not because of today.

The rules are 30 seconds per goal, 30 seconds per sub (if two come on at the same time, it’s only 30 seconds total).

So today, 2 second half goals = 2x30, 

6 separate subs = 6x30,

4 mins.

Ref has discretion on other things like injuries, time wasting.

What was the clock on today, I heard 3:55 when challenge happened?

4 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

This....

The lads done well but it's got to be Kalas in v Boro......

I think Kalas will come back in...who for I don’t know.  Yesterday Vyner ended up centrally a few times first half (as cover) because Moore got dragged around.

Personally I don’t mind who, both have had better games than yesterday.  But if I had to make the decision it would be to play Kalas centrally.  If that means retaining Vyner as RCB that’s fine.  If Holden decides to put Moore RCB and drop Vyner to the bench, that’s fine also.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Kalas will come back in...who for I don’t know.  Yesterday Vyner ended up centrally a few times first half (as cover) because Moore got dragged around.

Personally I don’t mind who, both have had better games than yesterday.  But if I had to make the decision it would be to play Kalas centrally.  If that means retaining Vyner as RCB that’s fine.  If Holden decides to put Moore RCB and drop Vyner to the bench, that’s fine also.

Vyner had some good defensive moments but he made a critical error after 1 minute and that warrants a change. I don't think it would be fair for Moore to come out. 

18 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

We've done this too many times.

It's a habit we need to break.

Archived