IGNORED

Pickford

Silvio Dante

Would have killed the game if Pickford was sent off, still very lucky though. The offside call at the end was more of a scandal for me personally, lots of spin on Henderson's shot but Pickford got away with another one there too. He made a couple of good saves but very much a mixed performance.

It was a poor challenge and deserved a red. However it was clumsy more than anything and I do not believe for a second that Pickford set out to "do Van Dyke"..........have a look at Roy Keane's tackle on Alfe Inge Haaland years ago, that's how you "do" someone with intent (and if Keane is to be believed he had good reason). It is very unfortunate that Van Dyke is out for months but this does happen in football unfortunately.....occupational hazard as we know at this club more than most it seems. However and possibly predictably there are plenty of Liverpool "fans" on social media who are calling for legal action to be taken against both Pickford and Everton.

14 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Might want to keep his head down in and around Liverpool.....

The only time Jordan Pickford will EVER be in Liverpool is to either drive to Goodison on matchday or to the training ground the rest of the week. He will no doubt be living in a very expensive pad in some nice, small Cheshire town somewhere. He won't be picking up a packet of fags from some Norris Green newsagent on his way home from training......

24 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It was a poor challenge and deserved a red. However it was clumsy more than anything and I do not believe for a second that Pickford set out to "do Van Dyke"

This is pretty much where I stand. In that position 90% of keepers would make some sort of challenge there, and probably by spreading themselves too. Clumsy? Definitely, Reckless? Probably. Deliberate? not for me. 

In the current climate with VAR I am surprised they didn't look at it, but they seem too scared to make any common sense decisions or make the Ref look at things. Yes technically play had stopped as soon as the offside was given, but it had been a punch they would have flagged it, I don't see the difference. VAR is next to useless .

38 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is pretty much where I stand. In that position 90% of keepers would make some sort of challenge there, and probably by spreading themselves too. Clumsy? Definitely, Reckless? Probably. Deliberate? not for me. 

In the current climate with VAR I am surprised they didn't look at it, but they seem too scared to make any common sense decisions or make the Ref look at things. Yes technically play had stopped as soon as the offside was given, but it had been a punch they would have flagged it, I don't see the difference. VAR is next to useless .

It's the idiots using it that are useless.

16 minutes ago, Super said:

It's the idiots using it that are useless.

TBF to those idiots , and I don't disagree with that term, they aren't helped by the rules. 
The offside needs to be simplified. Maybe use a players boots as a reference point , slightly less chance of error?
The handball rule needs an overhaul.
The whole thing needs to be time sensitive. If you haven't made a decision in 3/4 looks or 2 minutes give up.
Plus I'd still relegate Villa now on the non goal from last year. 

Just seen that VAR apparently considered the challenge wasn’t a Red Card at the time hence no further action will be taken.

This is absolutely disgusting - it was as clear a Red Card as you could see.

In other Prem Games when VAR is considering if Violent Play has taken place we a message shown on the big screens advising us this was being considered - there was no message of this sort at the time meaning VAR didn’t even consider it.

The FA should be ashamed of themselves - admit when they have got it wrong.

Does this give licence to any player to jump through the air and take a player down in the same way Pickford has done - and then insist they have done nothing wrong!!!

50 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Just seen that VAR apparently considered the challenge wasn’t a Red Card at the time hence no further action will be taken.

In other Prem Games when VAR is considering if Violent Play has taken place we a message shown on the big screens advising us this was being considered - there was no message of this sort at the time meaning VAR didn’t even consider it.

Does this give licence to any player to jump through the air and take a player down in the same way Pickford has done - and then insist they have done nothing wrong!!!

Only if said player is so thick and stupid that he is prepared to run the risk of the referee seeing the incident and awarding a red card that will not get overturned. I don't think the manager of any player who took that view would give his player a lot of sympathy, put it that way.

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

They'd never admit they got it wrong. And VAR gives them another level of bureaucracy to hide behind.

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

It wasn't as clear a red as you could see and in real time could be construed as a clash or coming together. It's when you watch it 3/4 times over a replay is when you can see it's a very clumsy, awkward challenge that if happening in open play would have been a red and penalty. But this is when Var should step in and advise the ref to go a review on the pitch-side monitor.

The second bit is just stupid.

25 minutes ago, grifty said:

It wasn't as clear a red as you could see and in real time could be construed as a clash or coming together. It's when you watch it 3/4 times over a replay is when you can see it's a very clumsy, awkward challenge that if happening in open play would have been a red and penalty. But this is when Var should step in and advise the ref to go a review on the pitch-side monitor.

The second bit is just stupid.

Agreed ........very silly comment regarding licencing players to act similarly.  But I have to say, when I saw the challenge in real time, I was suprised that Pickford was not red carded.....as it seemed reckless, dangerous and very high, and you could also tell that VVD was in a lot of pain. Straight Red for me.

Archived