IGNORED

Well done Callum

The Nest Egg

39 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

You can be delighted about how the season is going and how the club is currently being run while also thinking that a certain player just isn’t up to it and has never been so.

.....but with your opinion of a certain player, I'm sure you would have cited a lack of commitment if he hadn't made a challenge.

1 minute ago, S25loyal said:

Your clearly missing the point,

Who was single handedly responsible for it being 2-2?

We had a throw in by their box with 50 seconds left, few of our players have made mistakes to allow Barnsley to be getting a cross into our box from that position.

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Do people think if the opposing player didn't fall over as hard as he did it would still be seen as a pen?

I think how he fell was the reason it was given, which to me is irrelevant

It’s a bloody foul mate,doesn’t matter where it is,centre circle,down the left wing or in the penalty box it’s a bleeding foul so doesn’t matter how hard he fell(is that even possible)

Now the frustration has dropped a little. I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the lad.

He did make a last ditch tackle when he first came on.   I'm sure he feels as sick as a pig tonight 

Both him and DH don't need us to remind them.

Guess brunt would of been perfect in that situation, seeing a game out

45 minutes ago, Packman said:

It was a foul, I just don't think it was in the box.

This.

Plus, those with hindsight saying Fam should have come on (probably wouldn’t have posted it had it ended 2-1), he was in Senegal until Wednesday, probably got back Thursday at the earliest & much as I like him, hasn’t exactly been firing on all cylinders, has he?

Just seen the penalty incident. From some of these over the top reactions I was expecting a lot worse than I just saw but then again it used to be the same when people would say what a miss of the season by Fam. Then you would see it and just think, that was unlucky.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think in hindsight O'Dowda should have been playing more advanced alongside Semenyo. Not because of the pen, but just how the game went before that. Semenyo was isolated, but O'Dowda floating around finding space with Semenyo, I think that could have got us in on goal, 2 fresh quick players for them to have to cope with. O'Dowda's job was protect Rowe who was being got at, and break.

That was probably the plan, we had added a defensive element to MF with Vyner. I think it was just that we were being pushed back, you can't afford to just leave 2 up and not wrk back. Holden and Mawson had already tried to get us to push out and not drop so deep, it's  just how the game went

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

Please honestly can somebody explain him to me. I get he had a couple of good moments today but really he’s single-handedly cost us two points there.

Surely we should just cut our losses and get him out by now, he hasn’t made any significant contribution in four years now. He’s also not one of those players you expect to hold on to a lead, doesn’t get fans off their seats (or sofas right now), has little to no end product, I could go on.

So, I ask again; What is the point of him? Why on earth is he still here?

what about the chris martin miss, did that not cost us the win? what about vyner,s non marking for their first? you sir are a steotypical bellend

26 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s a bloody foul mate,doesn’t matter where it is,centre circle,down the left wing or in the penalty box it’s a bleeding foul so doesn’t matter how hard he fell(is that even possible)

Course it is like you say anywhere on the pitch that is a foul...he was late, and he should have been aware of the penalty box, no different to a trip

its a squad and all the squad have contributed to a fabulous start but cod  just seems like a weak link.

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

what about the chris martin miss, did that not cost us the win? what about vyner,s non marking for their first? you sir are a steotypical bellend

‘Having a different opinion’ = ‘bellend’

It’s about as evident as it gets. COD doesn’t do that and we win that game. We were literal seconds away from it. 

1 minute ago, Newquay-Red said:

‘Having a different opinion’ = ‘bellend’

It’s about as evident as it gets. COD doesn’t do that and we win that game. We were literal seconds away from it. 

Apart from your initial post , I’d suggest the title 

‘Well Done Callum’ didn’t do you any favours 

Sounds like a smarmy girl in class , with her arms crossed and scowling at the kid who’s just got them a detention 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Do people think if the opposing player didn't fall over as hard as he did it would still be seen as a pen?

I think how he fell was the reason it was given, which to me is irrelevant

My first reaction was foul, my second was “shit, is that in the area”. I can’t tell whether it was in the box or not though.  If it was it was a penalty all day long.  The way the bloke fell had nothing to do with it imho

I’ve only seen it back once (other than live)...did he catch him with his elbow / arm....I guess it wasn’t a clash of heads or else O’Dowda would’ve gone down too.  If elbow / arm, he’s not done it with malice....but he knows if he goes with his head he’s likely to get himself hurt.  Which is exactly the same thing Sollbauer had in his mind.

As a CB he was prepared to get whacked.

Callum wasn’t.

Thats the difference.

Shame, because he’s done well when he came on.  But I’d say it does again highlight a weakness in the “heart / commitment” aspect of his game.  He needs to find an edge.  Just like Taylor Moore.  I would’ve taken a yellow to boot Cauley Woodrow today and let him know I was there.  Woodrow knew he wasn’t gonna get a whack.  As a striker that’s a nice feeling to know.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Is this a 'thing' now? We call players out for mistakes, cuz I've seen a lot worse.

I thought it was the perfect substitution today, Pato had done well but COD goes past players and covers the ground just as well. Holds the ball and drifts past defenders, great to bring on later on. He also (usually) defends very well. TBF he probably saved a couple of potential chances before the mistake. He's not the sort to throw himself into people, he mistimed a header and it looked bad because the guy got hurt, and I think the Ref gave the Pen because of that as much as anything. Harsh, but I don't think it was the wrong decision.

COD could be a very important player for us this year, Pato won't play every game so he's an alternative and he brings slightly different things into that role. 

Your post makes him seem like a fantastic footballer!

My opinion is the exact opposite. 

20 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Apart from your initial post , I’d suggest the title 

‘Well Done Callum’ didn’t do you any favours 

Sounds like a smarmy girl in class , with her arms crossed and scowling at the kid who’s just got them a detention 

‘Didn’t do me any favours’...I’ve created a topic that has successfully generated a lot of discussion. Not going to apologise for it at all.

If somebody wants to judge me as a bellend based on a single post on the Internet then that’s on them; even if it’s a silly way to go about such things.

For something and someone you evidently don’t care much for, this whole thing seems to be taking up quite a lot of your Saturday evening...

Not O'Dowda's biggest fan but I actually thought he was doing pretty well and looked bright after coming on. He often gets accused of hiding a bit, but I don't think he was this game which was good to see.

That goes out the window though as I thought it was a foolish challenge to make (easy to say in hindsight!), he was late, and I'm not wholly convinced he was really trying to win the header. However if he'd stood there and let the guy head it on unchallenged he'd be getting pelters too. You could ask why Callum was there with two men and no support.

Here's the clip I took - make your own mind up: https://streamja.com/vVmAA

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Here's the clip I took - make your own mind up: https://streamja.com/vVmAA

Looks like he's left his arm in there to protect himself to be honest. I'd be livid if that wasn't given against us

This thread is a pretty classic case internet-extremes-of-opinion. It is possible to not hate the guy, but feel  that you need to express that he really didn't deserve his new contract with us. 

Just now, JonDolman said:

So if he stood off would that show more heart and commitment?

No, that would’ve been better decision making Jon. Sollbauer was 60/40 favourite to make, but the best he was gonna do was head it towards the player to the right of him.  

If you can’t win the ball without seriously risking giving away a free-kick right on the edge of the area, or a penalty for fear of getting hurt....don’t make the challenge!  Had Callum stood off, he’d have been better positioned to close down the player on the outside (had he got to the ball).

Its harsh.  It’s a split second decision - ultimately the wrong one.  But I think it is made because he’s trying not to get hurt.

As I said, I thought he did well today, but this is about one action where he got it wrong.  Just like Max getting caught flat footed for their goal, just like Vyner did for Helik to score.  Just like Wells did by taking a poor touch in the first half.

Sometimes criticism of an action is the right thing.  One poor action doesn’t need to be excused or over defended because you rate a player.  Today was the most encouraged I’ve been in Callum in a long long time.

Archived