IGNORED

Well done Callum

The Nest Egg

I think he was unlucky. Normally when 2 are jumping its pretty much straight up and down but if you watch it the barnsley player is stretching towards O'Dowda to get to the ball. O'Dowda jumps from quite a distance away. I think because he left it late to challenge as he had another Barnsley player on his outside to worry about. It's like they are jumping into each other so looks worse than it was. Harsh pen for me. I thought O'Dowda did well when he came on.

39 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Your post makes him seem like a fantastic footballer!

My opinion is the exact opposite. 

Football, all about opinions Ain't it.

I don't think he's a fantastic footballer, a very good one and one that could be very important for us, emphasis on the could.
A lot depends on circumstances and on who steps up when everyone is fully fit.

I actually think given the pace on the ball that it was sailing over both of them and out for a GK/Throw in. Ref blows up straight after.  We all make mistakes tho so let’s not blame him for fact that we didn’t see it out when we had chances to finish it off before then 

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Please honestly can somebody explain him to me. I get he had a couple of good moments today but really he’s single-handedly cost us two points there.

Surely we should just cut our losses and get him out by now, he hasn’t made any significant contribution in four years now. He’s also not one of those players you expect to hold on to a lead, doesn’t get fans off their seats (or sofas right now), has little to no end product, I could go on.

So, I ask again; What is the point of him? Why on earth is he still here?

Kin ell, you're a drama queen aren't you? 

So i'll ask for the first time; What is the point of you? Why on earth are you still here? 

42 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Yeah, pretty much. 

If we spent as much energy celebrating the positives as we do slamming and picking every negative and mistake, this club would be a much nicer place. 

Who is slamming the negatives,certainly not me because they have had the credit over the other games,if we are not allowed to pick faults then what is the point in this forum 

Harsh decision. If it was the other way I wouldn't have been calling for a penalty. 

Callum often gets slated for not defending so when he does you got to cut him some slack. Also we scored both our goals with harsh deflections so even though we lost our 100% win run we didn't do too bad.

Just now, CiderCraig said:

:laugh:, which part of it made you think you'd upset me? 

I merely deduced that you were a drama queen, over-reacting over something during a football match. 

Pathetic. 

What an embarrassment you are. Here you are, overreacting to something that someone has said regarding something being done in a football match. And yet you’re attempting to take the high ground on this? 

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

Harsh decision. If it was the other way I wouldn't have been calling for a penalty. 

Callum often gets slated for not defending so when he does you got to cut him some slack. Also we scored both our goals with harsh deflections so even though we lost our 100% win run we didn't do too bad.

He didn’t tho,he clattered into him,that’s not defending and it’s a clear penalty

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Football, all about opinions Ain't it.

I don't think he's a fantastic footballer, a very good one and one that could be very important for us, emphasis on the could.
A lot depends on circumstances and on who steps up when everyone is fully fit.

Players make mistakes so I’m not here to slate him for that, however i am keen to understand what you have seen that makes you believe he’s a very good footballer as I personally am quite far away from that opinion from what I’ve seen in his time here with us. 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

A few looking through rose-tinted specs this evening. COD has absolutely clattered a player with a leading arm in the box and got nowhere near the ball. 

In what world is it not a penalty and "harsh" to give one? 

It’s not even close is it ??

4 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Please honestly can somebody explain him to me. I get he had a couple of good moments today but really he’s single-handedly cost us two points there.

Surely we should just cut our losses and get him out by now, he hasn’t made any significant contribution in four years now. He’s also not one of those players you expect to hold on to a lead, doesn’t get fans off their seats (or sofas right now), has little to no end product, I could go on.

So, I ask again; What is the point of him? Why on earth is he still here?

Embarrassing post this we really have got the worst fans! 

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Players make mistakes so I’m not here to slate him for that, however i am keen to understand what you have seen that makes you believe he’s a very good footballer as I personally am quite far away from that opinion from what I’ve seen in his time here with us. 

ODowda is probably the only one who could score that goal at Norwich last year, and that's what I mean. He runs at players, takes them on and regularly beats them. I think he would have been a major part of the team if he hadn't got injured just as he looked good. After that he didn't hit the same levels, Johnson chopping and changing was never going to help, but he does bring a more disciplined defensive side. I get that people don't rate him for some things I said above, but in a side playing with better movement, more confidence and more structure I think he could shine. The way he skipped passed tackles today shows his worth against tiring defenders

COD was looking good when he came on. Tinnion on commentary said he has been doing well in training. He was just unlucky to give away the penalty. It happens and yes it was a penalty. I'm not sure why people are surprised though we always draw 2-2 at Barnsley. I believe that was the 5th time on the trot 

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Not O'Dowda's biggest fan but I actually thought he was doing pretty well and looked bright after coming on. He often gets accused of hiding a bit, but I don't think he was this game which was good to see.

That goes out the window though as I thought it was a foolish challenge to make (easy to say in hindsight!), he was late, and I'm not wholly convinced he was really trying to win the header. However if he'd stood there and let the guy head it on unchallenged he'd be getting pelters too. You could ask why Callum was there with two men and no support.

Here's the clip I took - make your own mind up: https://streamja.com/vVmAA

Thank you for posting that, and yes it was a clear penalty. Callum was clearly picking up the wider of the two players, and then seeing that the ball was going to the free one of the two came rushing in late from the wrong side. Certainly a poor challenge, but someone else wasn't picking up their man either. A pity, because up to that time he had looked good. Time to support that lad - he could be a good player for us this year.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But that's not lack of commitment and heart. You think he's made the wrong decision. He very strongly challenged for it. How on earth can that be lack of commitment and heart?

A strong challenge?  You mean recklessly / cowardly leading with an elbow.  That’s not a strong challenge.  That’s a “bottler’s” challenge.  If he was “brave” (heart and commitment) he’d have been prepared to get injured to defend it fairly.  I think he could’ve avoided making the challenge by showing intelligence and awareness of the situation.  Instead he exposed his lack of bravery.

Its unfortunate, it’s split-second stuff.  I certainly don’t blame him though for costing us points, like some are.  There are several things to pick up on as to why the ball came to be in that position, but this thread is about him / the penalty / his challenge.

The reason I’m going on about this is because it’s one of many times I’ve seen him display these traits.  He’s not prepared to put his body on the line.

He has other skills that may compensate for that overall.  You seem to take any criticism of something Callum does as a criticism of you, because of your view of him as player.

I’m cool that you rate him....you see things in him that I don’t.  That’s fine.  Today he displayed some of those things you like about him....which encouraged me too (maybe Holden will make him - fantastic if he does).  But he also showed in that instance one of his weaknesses too.

54 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It's a penalty, end of super. I totally agree with you and JJT.

We never win at Oakwell so I'll take that and move on to 'Boro. Yes, it's tough when you leading very, very late on but it's a certain penalty.

You are right totally, move on it’s gone and let’s focus on the next, however he is a player that splits opinion on many levels and to be fair/honest when LJ begged him to stay gave him a lucrative contract and then said we’ve signed a £10m player, there  is the problem!!! He is definitely not a starter maybe a we’re 1 or 2 behind go and see what you can do type, but you would never build a team around him cause he is just not good enough, simple as that. But and I’m sorry Dean got it wrong today as he is also not a close it out away from home and take the hard fought win player, simple as that, should not have even been on the pitch in the first place!!!

Just watched it over and over again. Sorry, its late, reckless and frankly ridiculous. To do that on 18 yards when your team is 30 seconds from victory is scandalous. What is he thinking?

By the way this is not an attack on COD, but a very damning verdict on his action in that moment. 

I am so annoyed cause that was 5 from 5 right there. I reckon Dean Holden is a stand up bloke but I would find that decision making from Callum very hard to forget.

Archived