IGNORED

Well done Callum

The Nest Egg

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Disagree as I think that kind of challenge happens a lot and goes unpunished. Players who don't win the header often go into the opponent who does win it. The player that wins it goes into the player that doesn't win it. Its just unfortunate the other player fell on his back and was hurt. That's what made it maybe look bad to the ref in real time. 

“Fell on his back” - It’s nothing to do with the way he fell, it’s to do with the reckless lead of the arm / elbow by Callum and subsequent contact with Sollbauer with his arm and subsequently his shoulder.

It is nothing like a normal aerial challenge where contact is made.

”maybe look bad to the ref” - it did look bad to everyone bar JonDolman, no maybe about it, at the time, on every replay yesterday and today.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Don't think he contacted with the arm..shoulder, definitely. Jumping and contacting someone with the shoulder is fairly normal and not a pen for me.

Should to head - with force....normal??? Oh my days ???

To take this challenge and lump it in with a normal aerial challenge is ridiculous.

Our esteemed head-coach said it was a foul!  If it was in the box it’s a pen.!

It was a penalty fair and square. No complaints. 
the fact COD wasn’t even booked reflected on the ref seeing that it was unintentional - but intended or not a foul in the box is a penalty. 
Chin up Callum - these things happen but try and learn from the incident - you were doing ok up till then. 

That is an attempt at a header from someone who has no idea how to challenge for the ball in that type of situation.

I too don’t blame CoD.

Frankly, he should have been no where near our own penalty box and should have been instructed to stay well away. Whatever his strengths are, they are neither heading or tackling. If our manager/coaching staff don’t realise that then we are in for a long season assuming if they continue to use CoD as a wing-back type of 70/80 minute impact sub player. 

Any blame that exists therefore lies with Holden, who has sufficient credit in the bank to avoid a mauling for this indiscretion. 

7 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Only just managed to see it again. Just inside the box, and defo foul. Harsh to bash COD, these things happen. Wells and Martin will be wanting their chances again too. Top of the league, we move on.

??????

1 minute ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

It was a penalty fair and square. No complaints. 
the fact COD wasn’t even booked reflected on the ref seeing that it was unintentional - but intended or not a foul in the box is a penalty. 
Chin up Callum - these things happen but try and learn from the incident - you were doing ok up till then. 

??????

Surprised no one is mentioning the naivety shown by Rowe as we had the ball in Barnsley's corner only 30 seconds prior. Hold it there and we win the game. Instead, he decides to meg to the defender and go towards goal, losing it almost instantly.

COD's challenge was a sorry attempt at defending but he simply shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with.

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Laughable Jon....especially the no pen bit.  I could at least accept you saying “it might’ve been out of the box”, he’s wiped out Sollbauer after he’s win the header.

Totally agree. It was disappointing but these things happen in football. To claim the challenge was not a foul (you can argue over the location if you like) is like the Iraqi Minister of Communications claiming that the American tanks driving through Baghdad behind him were Iraqi tanks. It's not even a discussion in my view.

I also don't see the point in slagging off O'Dowda as the worst player ever to set foot on a football pitch for the simple reason he was in a good defensive position TRYING to do the right thing but executing it wrongly. No different to Paterson not spotting Semenyo..........if he had seen what we had all seen then he would have set Semenyo up for a tap in and game over but he didn't. Players make these types of "one-off" mistakes.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Totally agree. It was disappointing but these things happen in football. To claim the challenge was not a foul (you can argue over the location if you like) is like the Iraqi Minister of Communications claiming that the American tanks driving through Baghdad behind him were Iraqi tanks. It's not even a discussion in my view.

I also don't see the point in slagging off O'Dowda as the worst player ever to set foot on a football pitch for the simple reason he was in a good defensive position TRYING to do the right thing but executing it wrongly.

exactly....that was the issue with the OP for me.  Players make errors.

No different to Paterson not spotting Semenyo..........if he had seen what we had all seen then he would have set Semenyo up for a tap in and game over but he didn't. Players make these types of "one-off" mistakes.

⬆️⬆️⬆️.

A couple of pics.

Managed to freeze it in a better place.1C761769-17BC-49B0-B2DF-02396B8248DA.thumb.jpeg.37372e954229ad214186065c0dd84c99.jpeg

Callum has actually turned his back a quarter turn from his initial side on, arm leading position...he’s almost facing backwards.  We can see the ball (obscuring Mawson) has long gone by the time Callum catches Sollbauer.

Also, there was a suggestion that Tommy Rowe wasn’t marking by Jon, because Callum was left with Luke Thomas outside him and Sollbauer coming towards him.

67BDA3BA-1857-4845-B8EB-9F3B833E9BDA.thumb.jpeg.de8eff14d020e3b9f10cd72f08f3472b.jpeg

We can see Moore has his man (top right), Rowe has Woodrow (centre), Mawson is a bit loose on with his man, but is trying to anticipate where the ball lands, which he does, and Vyner is marking the player on the edge of the box (he’s now playing DM).  To suggest Rowe wasn’t marking was wrong.

If anything someone should’ve tracked Sollbauer.  Not Callum, and definitely not Rowe.  In fluid parts of play, players and their markers get moved around.

Shit happens, Barnsley gambled and got lucky with an injury time pen.

I have finally seen the highlights and I have to say I do feel that CoD has been a bit hard done by here. Listening to the radio and reading some of the early reactions to the challenge on here, I was expecting a Pickford style two footed lunge at around waist height. What I see is a challenge that probably wouldn't have received much attention 7 times out of 10 and one which he had every right to go for. 
I do believe that if it was almost any other player in our squad, they would have received more sympathy than castigation, being the current whipping boy looks to have defined the fans reaction.

What an embarrassing thread, some of you need to take a long hard look at yourselves. 

toxic towards one of our good young players (who has just been going through some bad form) just because he gave away a pen. Wouldn’t be this level of toxicity if anyone else gave away a penalty. 

get a grip.

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have finally seen the highlights and I have to say I do feel that CoD has been a bit hard done by here. Listening to the radio and reading some of the early reactions to the challenge on here, I was expecting a Pickford style two footed lunge at around waist height. What I see is a challenge that probably wouldn't have received much attention 7 times out of 10 and one which he had every right to go for. 
I do believe that if it was almost any other player in our squad, they would have received more sympathy than castigation, being the current whipping boy looks to have defined the fans reaction.

Correct. If O’Dowda pulls out, Solbauer gets a good head on it and Woodrow gets on the end of it and equalises he would be accused of being gutless.

He had to go for the header, didn’t get it right and it’s a penalty. Frustrating? Of course it is. Definitely not a stick to beat a player with as it was not a rash challenge he didn’t have to make.

Its the usual people who were calling us rubbish at half time, brilliant after an hour and then slate a player for being a split second out with his timing and who have probably never been on a football pitch at a decent level to make that mistake who are bellyaching loudest about it.

17 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

What an embarrassing thread, some of you need to take a long hard look at yourselves. 

toxic towards one of our good young players (who has just been going through some bad form) just because he gave away a pen. Wouldn’t be this level of toxicity if anyone else gave away a penalty. 

get a grip.

If we take the OP:

1E0D9AE2-3D05-42A8-9756-2DEFEC7BE494.thumb.jpeg.f1ef43ba333feae657dce6f50aecba8f.jpeg

I think the vast majority of us aren’t blaming Callum for the result at all.

There is a fair bit of debate as to whether it was inside or outside the box.

There is a fair bit of debate whether it was a foul, but that seems a fairly uneven debate.

There is a lot of debate about how he went in for the challenge.

But I don’t think there is too much toxicity aside from the early threads.

33 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

get a grip.

He isn't going through bad form though, he has never been in good form for us.

He is supposed to be an attacking player but in 122 Championship appearances he has scored 6 goals and got 11 assists. 

That is shocking and the majority of City fans quite rightly so, are wondering why he is anywhere near the team.

Interesting angled video:

we withstand a bit of pressure then at 12:31 we have the ball in their area.  A load of loose, scrappy play then happens, before the moment.  Wasn’t us sitting deep or anything, just scrappy play.

Good angle of the challenge too, Callum ends up facing the wrong way.

10767A68-6980-4AD3-995A-5913737513F7.jpeg.ce12718c57d215afab8f3e5a690eaeb0.jpeg

1 minute ago, Kykoliko said:

Agreed. A good two or three players there who need to wise up. Rowe with some piss poor decision making and two mistakes from Hunt allow them to counter down our right.

Just ******* hoof it out and slow the game down. There's 15 seconds left ?‍♂️

I think Rowe was a bit unlucky, he was just trying to shield it having worked his way clear of his man.  I don’t think he was trying to create anything.

Poor half volley clearance from Hunt, but we had time to get back in shape, which we did.

1 hour ago, megansdad said:

bigger question was why we had given up possession of the ball to allow the cross in the first place. With just a little more composure we would have retained possession and that challenge would never have happened. Far from single handed...

Rowe tried to nutmeg someone and lost the ball didn’t he? Would have to check but remember being annoyed !

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting angled video:

we withstand a bit of pressure then at 12:31 we have the ball in their area.  A load of loose, scrappy play then happens, before the moment.  Wasn’t us sitting deep or anything, just scrappy play.

Good angle of the challenge too, Callum ends up facing the wrong way.

10767A68-6980-4AD3-995A-5913737513F7.jpeg.ce12718c57d215afab8f3e5a690eaeb0.jpeg

From that angle it looks like Callum was just trying to hold his ground, the aggression comes from the attacking player.

Bottom line from what I saw was a player sidelined for much too long coming on as a sub and trying really hard to demonstrate that he was a squad member by merit - the challenge was a mistake poor timing and an element of panic.

He could be a really decent and consistent player given a chance in a team where selection is made on merit - something we sadly lacked for the last 2 seasons - a system where Callum was not the only one hard done by!

COYR

6 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

get a grip.

Can you let me off if I've been critical of him in the past and not just because of the weekend?

"One of our good young players" though? - 1. He's not good. 2. He turns 26 before the end of the season.

On 17/10/2020 at 17:02, Newquay-Red said:

Please honestly can somebody explain him to me. I get he had a couple of good moments today but really he’s single-handedly cost us two points there.

Surely we should just cut our losses and get him out by now, he hasn’t made any significant contribution in four years now. He’s also not one of those players you expect to hold on to a lead, doesn’t get fans off their seats (or sofas right now), has little to no end product, I could go on.

So, I ask again; What is the point of him? Why on earth is he still here?

Seen him have one good game for us v Norwich spent most of his time injures on the Bench or playing for ireland get rid

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can’t watch that video without thinking anything other than what I thought at the time....he’s clattered him late, we are in trouble here.  Free-kick or pen depending on where contact was made.

But hey-ho....Boro tomorrow.

Agreed. It was a foul all day long, even if it is a frustrating one to concede.

Not sure I agree that Rowe was "unlucky" though ?

But as you say, Boro tomorrow. If we win that then we all forget about Saturday. I just hope those two points don't come back to bite us.

Archived