Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Well done Callum

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Is this a 'thing' now? We call players out for mistakes, cuz I've seen a lot worse.

I thought it was the perfect substitution today, Pato had done well but COD goes past players and covers the ground just as well. Holds the ball and drifts past defenders, great to bring on later on. He also (usually) defends very well. TBF he probably saved a couple of potential chances before the mistake. He's not the sort to throw himself into people, he mistimed a header and it looked bad because the guy got hurt, and I think the Ref gave the Pen because of that as much as anything. Harsh, but I don't think it was the wrong decision.

COD could be a very important player for us this year, Pato won't play every game so he's an alternative and he brings slightly different things into that role. 

Your post makes him seem like a fantastic footballer!

My opinion is the exact opposite. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Apart from your initial post , I’d suggest the title 

‘Well Done Callum’ didn’t do you any favours 

Sounds like a smarmy girl in class , with her arms crossed and scowling at the kid who’s just got them a detention 

‘Didn’t do me any favours’...I’ve created a topic that has successfully generated a lot of discussion. Not going to apologise for it at all.

If somebody wants to judge me as a bellend based on a single post on the Internet then that’s on them; even if it’s a silly way to go about such things.

For something and someone you evidently don’t care much for, this whole thing seems to be taking up quite a lot of your Saturday evening...

Edited by Newquay-Red

Not O'Dowda's biggest fan but I actually thought he was doing pretty well and looked bright after coming on. He often gets accused of hiding a bit, but I don't think he was this game which was good to see.

That goes out the window though as I thought it was a foolish challenge to make (easy to say in hindsight!), he was late, and I'm not wholly convinced he was really trying to win the header. However if he'd stood there and let the guy head it on unchallenged he'd be getting pelters too. You could ask why Callum was there with two men and no support.

Here's the clip I took - make your own mind up: https://streamja.com/vVmAA

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My first reaction was foul, my second was “shit, is that in the area”. I can’t tell whether it was in the box or not though.  If it was it was a penalty all day long.  The way the bloke fell had nothing to do with it imho

I’ve only seen it back once (other than live)...did he catch him with his elbow / arm....I guess it wasn’t a clash of heads or else O’Dowda would’ve gone down too.  If elbow / arm, he’s not done it with malice....but he knows if he goes with his head he’s likely to get himself hurt.  Which is exactly the same thing Sollbauer had in his mind.

As a CB he was prepared to get whacked.

Callum wasn’t.

Thats the difference.

Shame, because he’s done well when he came on.  But I’d say it does again highlight a weakness in the “heart / commitment” aspect of his game.  He needs to find an edge.  Just like Taylor Moore.  I would’ve taken a yellow to boot Cauley Woodrow today and let him know I was there.  Woodrow knew he wasn’t gonna get a whack.  As a striker that’s a nice feeling to know.

So if he stood off would that show more heart and commitment?

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Here's the clip I took - make your own mind up: https://streamja.com/vVmAA

Looks like he's left his arm in there to protect himself to be honest. I'd be livid if that wasn't given against us

This thread is a pretty classic case internet-extremes-of-opinion. It is possible to not hate the guy, but feel  that you need to express that he really didn't deserve his new contract with us. 

• Like 4
Just now, JonDolman said:

So if he stood off would that show more heart and commitment?

No, that would’ve been better decision making Jon. Sollbauer was 60/40 favourite to make, but the best he was gonna do was head it towards the player to the right of him.  

If you can’t win the ball without seriously risking giving away a free-kick right on the edge of the area, or a penalty for fear of getting hurt....don’t make the challenge!  Had Callum stood off, he’d have been better positioned to close down the player on the outside (had he got to the ball).

Its harsh.  It’s a split second decision - ultimately the wrong one.  But I think it is made because he’s trying not to get hurt.

As I said, I thought he did well today, but this is about one action where he got it wrong.  Just like Max getting caught flat footed for their goal, just like Vyner did for Helik to score.  Just like Wells did by taking a poor touch in the first half.

Sometimes criticism of an action is the right thing.  One poor action doesn’t need to be excused or over defended because you rate a player.  Today was the most encouraged I’ve been in Callum in a long long time.

• Like 7

I think he was unlucky. Normally when 2 are jumping its pretty much straight up and down but if you watch it the barnsley player is stretching towards O'Dowda to get to the ball. O'Dowda jumps from quite a distance away. I think because he left it late to challenge as he had another Barnsley player on his outside to worry about. It's like they are jumping into each other so looks worse than it was. Harsh pen for me. I thought O'Dowda did well when he came on.

39 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Your post makes him seem like a fantastic footballer!

My opinion is the exact opposite. 

Football, all about opinions Ain't it.

I don't think he's a fantastic footballer, a very good one and one that could be very important for us, emphasis on the could.
A lot depends on circumstances and on who steps up when everyone is fully fit.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Should be 5 wins tho so should we all be sniffing roses

Yeah, pretty much. 

If we spent as much energy celebrating the positives as we do slamming and picking every negative and mistake, this club would be a much nicer place. 

I actually think given the pace on the ball that it was sailing over both of them and out for a GK/Throw in. Ref blows up straight after.  We all make mistakes tho so let’s not blame him for fact that we didn’t see it out when we had chances to finish it off before then 

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Please honestly can somebody explain him to me. I get he had a couple of good moments today but really he’s single-handedly cost us two points there.

Surely we should just cut our losses and get him out by now, he hasn’t made any significant contribution in four years now. He’s also not one of those players you expect to hold on to a lead, doesn’t get fans off their seats (or sofas right now), has little to no end product, I could go on.

So, I ask again; What is the point of him? Why on earth is he still here?

Kin ell, you're a drama queen aren't you? 

So i'll ask for the first time; What is the point of you? Why on earth are you still here? 

42 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Yeah, pretty much. 

If we spent as much energy celebrating the positives as we do slamming and picking every negative and mistake, this club would be a much nicer place. 

Who is slamming the negatives,certainly not me because they have had the credit over the other games,if we are not allowed to pick faults then what is the point in this forum 

Harsh decision. If it was the other way I wouldn't have been calling for a penalty. 

Callum often gets slated for not defending so when he does you got to cut him some slack. Also we scored both our goals with harsh deflections so even though we lost our 100% win run we didn't do too bad.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

Kin ell, you're a drama queen aren't you? 

So i'll ask for the first time; What is the point of you? Why on earth are you still here? 

Oh dear. Did I upset you?

Good.

Just now, Newquay-Red said:

Oh dear. Did I upset you?

Good.

:laugh:, which part of it made you think you'd upset me? 

I merely deduced that you were a drama queen, over-reacting over something during a football match. 

Pathetic. 

• Like 1
Just now, CiderCraig said:

:laugh:, which part of it made you think you'd upset me? 

I merely deduced that you were a drama queen, over-reacting over something during a football match. 

Pathetic. 

What an embarrassment you are. Here you are, overreacting to something that someone has said regarding something being done in a football match. And yet you’re attempting to take the high ground on this? 

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

Harsh decision. If it was the other way I wouldn't have been calling for a penalty. 

Callum often gets slated for not defending so when he does you got to cut him some slack. Also we scored both our goals with harsh deflections so even though we lost our 100% win run we didn't do too bad.

He didn’t tho,he clattered into him,that’s not defending and it’s a clear penalty

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Football, all about opinions Ain't it.

I don't think he's a fantastic footballer, a very good one and one that could be very important for us, emphasis on the could.
A lot depends on circumstances and on who steps up when everyone is fully fit.

Players make mistakes so I’m not here to slate him for that, however i am keen to understand what you have seen that makes you believe he’s a very good footballer as I personally am quite far away from that opinion from what I’ve seen in his time here with us. 

• Like 1
Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

A few looking through rose-tinted specs this evening. COD has absolutely clattered a player with a leading arm in the box and got nowhere near the ball. 

In what world is it not a penalty and "harsh" to give one? 

It’s not even close is it 😂😂

4 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Please honestly can somebody explain him to me. I get he had a couple of good moments today but really he’s single-handedly cost us two points there.

Surely we should just cut our losses and get him out by now, he hasn’t made any significant contribution in four years now. He’s also not one of those players you expect to hold on to a lead, doesn’t get fans off their seats (or sofas right now), has little to no end product, I could go on.

So, I ask again; What is the point of him? Why on earth is he still here?

Embarrassing post this we really have got the worst fans! 

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Players make mistakes so I’m not here to slate him for that, however i am keen to understand what you have seen that makes you believe he’s a very good footballer as I personally am quite far away from that opinion from what I’ve seen in his time here with us. 

ODowda is probably the only one who could score that goal at Norwich last year, and that's what I mean. He runs at players, takes them on and regularly beats them. I think he would have been a major part of the team if he hadn't got injured just as he looked good. After that he didn't hit the same levels, Johnson chopping and changing was never going to help, but he does bring a more disciplined defensive side. I get that people don't rate him for some things I said above, but in a side playing with better movement, more confidence and more structure I think he could shine. The way he skipped passed tackles today shows his worth against tiring defenders

• Like 3