IGNORED

Are we patient enough in possession?

pl00peh91

I felt that we surrendered the ball to Barnsley for most of the game today and I don’t recall seeing a spell where we pinned them back into their own half for any sustained period of time. Whilst I’m frustrated by the way we conceded our second I felt that the game was way too open and to be honest we were probably lucky not to concede a second against Forest.

Whilst I’m delighted at our start and nobody would have turned down 13 points out of 15 if offered at the start of the season, I feel that if we don’t start getting a better foothold in the midfield in games I have my concerns that we will allow teams too many chances to sustain an automatic promotion push.

I get that a key feature in “Holden-ball” is to get the ball forward as quickly and as often as possible, I feel like we need a better balance as a lot of our forward play today felt rushed and we were turning the ball over to Barnsley too often which allowed them to dominate the first half and equalise.

Just mentioned this as my concern in the main match day thread. Every match so far has been like a basketball game and we have had very little control of the ball. Like you say, that’s not sustainable for a promotion attempt. My hope is that Williams will come in alongside Bakinson and that will help us keep the ball. 

They were pressing us quite heavily so you have to use quick passing to exploit the holes that leaves.

The problems come from not having a huge amount of mobility up front, and the QUALITY of the forward balls which was poor today from the central defenders especially IMO which resulted in us turning the ball over frequently.

The system we have requires Paterson and Weimann to get ahead and outside of the forwards sometimes, and when balls go forward poorly and quickly they don't really have time to do that. When they did we did cause them problems.

So I think quality and player capability rather than style caused the issue you mention.

We do look very frantic but I think it suits us. Have two very good forwards who can thrive off the chaos of Weimann and Paterson. Think we need to be smarter late in games and try to take the sting out. Young squad though and that come with experience which is why I thought it was odd DH took off our more saavy players. At least and not bring Fam on

I prefer us getting the ball forward quickly, I don't think our shape would work if we did anything else - under LJ sideways ball usually lead to no movement and punting.

What I'd like to see is turning over possession further up the pitch by pressing more (carefully).

1 hour ago, pl00peh91 said:

I felt that we surrendered the ball to Barnsley for most of the game today and I don’t recall seeing a spell where we pinned them back into their own half for any sustained period of time. Whilst I’m frustrated by the way we conceded our second I felt that the game was way too open and to be honest we were probably lucky not to concede a second against Forest.

Whilst I’m delighted at our start and nobody would have turned down 13 points out of 15 if offered at the start of the season, I feel that if we don’t start getting a better foothold in the midfield in games I have my concerns that we will allow teams too many chances to sustain an automatic promotion push.

I get that a key feature in “Holden-ball” is to get the ball forward as quickly and as often as possible, I feel like we need a better balance as a lot of our forward play today felt rushed and we were turning the ball over to Barnsley too often which allowed them to dominate the first half and equalise.

I agree , but we’re a work in progress . Earlier press conferences by Paul Simpson and Kieth Dowling said It’ll take time to see the fruits of our labour. If it’s still a bit hot potato at Christmas then yes a worry. Not now though imo .  

I said at half-time we were too slow at times and too quick (impatient) at others.

In the first half I could hear Holden shouting to ping Martin whilst we tried to play through Bakinson, who was heavily marked.

Other times I would’ve preferred to see us go side to side, but we tried to play the killer pass too soon.  We didn’t tire out Barnsley, which was my hope.

So it’s more about playing the appropriate way for the situation at the time.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I said at half-time we were too slow at times and too quick (impatient) at others.

In the first half I could hear Holden shouting to ping Martin whilst we tried to play through Bakinson, who was heavily marked.

Other times I would’ve preferred to see us go side to side, but we tried to play the killer pass too soon.  We didn’t tire out Barnsley, which was my hope.

So it’s more about playing the appropriate way for the situation at the time.

Spot on , and it’s noticeable in his post match’s that it’s something Holden recognises, and quickly identifies 

He seems to be very much of the same view , and I see that as a real positive in him

4 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Are you LJ? 

It seems to me that we give the ball away far to easily and don't press hard enough to get it back either. A couple of players will press at times, but there are still a few that seem happy to jog arround when we don't have the ball.  Nahki Wells doesn't look like he is giving anywhere near 100% and when he occasionally does closed down, it looks a bit like he's just going through the motions.

Patto and Weimann always seem to put in a shift though 

Archived