IGNORED

Top of the league

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Yes frustrating today to concede late . But who thought we would be in this position. Enjoy it lads and lasses . Because things change quickly in football .

Couldn't agree more. Fine recovery today. Should have seen it out and looked like doing so...but it's not the first time we've conceded a careless late equaliser to a rather jammy Barnsley in a 2-2 draw. 

Overall we look a well organised side with a decent blend of youth and experience. I'd normally have been at that match, Barnsley is one of the nicer grounds to visit, but I'm enjoying listening to Tins talk us through matches. This is proving a much better season than I feared it would be. Fair play to Dean Holden and his team, exceeding all my pessimistic expectations.

Remember when people were doing this last season? I was kinda one of them. Because I hoped we could turn it around, and I saw more than was being got out of the players here in them.

We were 7th on match day 4, and 7th on match day 37

Just pointing at the league table in the early and mid stages at the season and trying to make out that because of that position, the club, players, and the coaching team are immune to criticism, doesn't cut it.

Feel free to enjoy where we are now, but also remember to let people have their say on the problems they see, because it might well come up later.

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Couldn't agree more. Fine recovery today. Should have seen it out and looked like doing so...but it's not the first time we've conceded a careless late equaliser to a rather jammy Barnsley in a 2-2 draw. 

Indeed. Drawn 2-2 in our last 4 matches away to Barnsley.

3 time’s in the those 4 visits to Oakwell we’ve conceded in stoppage time to draw 2-2.

Calmed down a bit now.

Yes, still top, 2 goals per game, GD of 6, 2.6ppg, averaging 5.4 shots on target per game, and allowing only 3.4. Scoring with every 6th shot and conceding with every 17th shot allowed.

Good metrics over 5 games. Keep these averages up and we'll be well on our way.

Unbeaten and now we've gone 11% of the games done but are 14% of the way to 90 points.

58 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Remember when people were doing this last season? I was kinda one of them. Because I hoped we could turn it around, and I saw more than was being got out of the players here in them.

We were 7th on match day 4, and 7th on match day 37

Just pointing at the league table in the early and mid stages at the season and trying to make out that because of that position, the club, players, and the coaching team are immune to criticism, doesn't cut it.

Feel free to enjoy where we are now, but also remember to let people have their say on the problems they see, because it might well come up later.

I think that’s right.  Even as one of Holden’s biggest advocates (#holdenball) I still think there is loads of work to be done.  A few shape issues today, a few bits of naivety with playing out from the back, etc etc.

I prefer to look at it as 13 points gained from 5 games rather than top of the league.  We weren’t good today and there should be plenty of things to learn.  We saw what happens when Bakinson is pressed, and in fairness he did better second half.

We will get some results we don’t deserve and scrape by in others.

I do look forward to seeing a couple of players back (Williams and Kalas), as I think that will help us too.

Its boring, but October 17th isn’t the time to get carried away.

Having said that, I still think we look a better team than the one I saw for 12-18 months in the main under LJ.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think that’s right.  Even as one of Holden’s biggest advocates (#holdenball) I still think there is loads of work to be done.  A few shape issues today, a few bits of naivety with playing out from the back, etc etc.

I prefer to look at it as 13 points gained from 5 games rather than top of the league.  We weren’t good today and there should be plenty of things to learn.  We saw what happens when Bakinson is pressed, and in fairness he did better second half.

I do look forward to seeing a couple of players back (Williams and Kalas), as I think that will help us too.

Having said that, I still think we look a better team than the one I saw for 12-18 months in the main under LJ.

I agree

Think we are accumulating points a lot down to spirit and a team approach and spirit , (Which is no bad thing - all successful sides have a good team spirit / core ) with some technical bits that are working and some that definitely need work

Just now, Davefevs said:

Bakinson is exciting not because he overcame the issues exactly, but that he improved before our eyes. There's so much potential with that guy. What's concerning is that what I thought would be an issue, was an issue, and there are better teams than Barnsley to come who will be able to target these weaknesses more effectively. Does Bakinson have more gears to come, you'd hope and kinda expect so. When he's running after a player he often looks really slow which I noticed more today.

I'm aligned on the points idea. I want an average of 4 points off the lower 18 teams over two games = 72 and we can have an average of 2 points off my top 5 = 10 totalling 82 for a realistic shout of promotion and pretty much guaranteeing a playoff seed. WBA 83, Brentford 81 Fulham 81 from last year.  So on what I want we're ahead by 3 points atm!

I actually like people and myself getting carried away in moments, it's football, if you don't what's the point? But I dislike it when those are used and when league position or results are used to try to shut down other debates (not happening here just cautioning against it.) I like "We won but..." posts and "We lost but here are the positives" posts.

Who are you dropping for Kalas? Both Vyner and Moore weren't great in possession and both had a big glaring error moment as well as some good play. Vyner obv on the goal and when Moore just let a player (Woodrow?) run around him basically untouched.

17 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I agree

Think we are accumulating points a lot down to spirit and a team approach and spirit , (Which is no bad thing - all successful sides have a good team spirit / core ) with some technical bits that are working and some that definitely need work

I watched bits and pieces of Watford last night, and thought are they good or just winning through a bit of brilliance.  But I thought they looked tough.

Today I didn’t think we were good, but in a league of different types of opposition, some teams are gonna cause you more problems that others.  Barnsley were “in our face”, and are the type of side that work hard for each other, and will cause us problems, because we probably think we will at some point play around them.  But it creates a more chaotic game.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

Bakinson is exciting not because he overcame the issues exactly, but that he improved before our eyes. There's so much potential with that guy. What's concerning is that what I thought would be an issue, was an issue, and there are better teams than Barnsley to come who will be able to target these weaknesses more effectively.

yes, it’s why I’m just watching him game by game, trying to understand his good bits and his weaknesses.

Does Bakinson have more gears to come, you'd hope and kinda expect so. When he's running after a player he often looks really slow which I noticed more today.

to me it looked like a pitch that sapped your energy and suited more lower centre of gravity players at times.  He didn’t seem to be able to shift his balance well today, losing half-yards often.  Something to keep an eye on.

I'm aligned on the points idea. I want an average of 4 points off the lower 18 teams over two games = 72 and we can have an average of 2 points off my top 5 = 10 totalling 82 for a realistic shout of promotion and pretty much guaranteeing a playoff seed. WBA 83, Brentford 81 Fulham 81 from last year.  So on what I want we're ahead by 3 points atm!

I used to keep a spreadsheet (no surprise there) of opposition position (at time of playing them) and points gained.  We were the team that never consistently picked up points across the table!!

I actually like people and myself getting carried away in moments, it's football, if you don't what's the point? But I dislike it when those are used and when league position or results are used to try to shut down other debates (not happening here just cautioning against it.) I like "We won but..." posts and "We lost but here are the positives" posts.

agree.

Who are you dropping for Kalas? Both Vyner and Moore weren't great in possession and both had a big glaring error moment as well as some good play. Vyner obv on the goal and when Moore just let a player (Woodrow?) run around him basically untouched.

it depends on Kalas’s position.  If it’s central, then it’s Moore, if he comes in on the right then it’s Vyner.  Personally I’d play Kalas central, therefore Vyner stays in.  Especially Boro, where the middle of our penalty area is gonna see some aerial action.

I’m not foreseeing huge changes on Tuesday, because they’ve just had a fortnight off, so should be plenty in the tank for Tuesday.  But Swansea on Saturday might be different.  Also Boro are a physical team, Swansea a footballing team.

Comments in line ⬆️⬆️⬆️

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I watched bits and pieces of Watford last night, and thought are they good or just winning through a bit of brilliance.  But I thought they looked tough.

Today I didn’t think we were good, but in a league of different types of opposition, some teams are gonna cause you more problems that others.  Barnsley were “in our face”, and are the type of side that work hard for each other, and will cause us problems, because we probably think we will at some point play around them.  But it creates a more chaotic game.

Comments in line ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Always surprises me how much emphasis some fans place on league position when gauging how tough an opponent is going to be. For me ‘style’ is just as, if not more, important. That’s the reason why historically we always struggle against Milwall, Wigan, Preston etc and have not won that many times away at Barnsley recently. 

Its no bad thing in the overall picture that we drew today, the longer our winning run continued, the more publicity it would glean, with every game, starting on Tuesday, producing pre match pressure to keep up the 100% record.  We are still unbeaten, and there is sure to be a game where we steal a point in injury time undeservedly?  Team spirit seems good and if we can establish ourselves in the top 3 or 4, when the odd defeat isn''t too significant, then we will be doing ok.  We have a big enough squad to cope with most injuries, and with Kalas, Williams and Walsh, amongst others to come in, we are better off ticking along under the radar, rather than the pressure of a 100% winning run.  Hopefully  Holden will see the flaws and deal with them, we do have a high percentage of young players with Vyner, Moore, Bakinson finding their way, and who will need to be rested  at times......but fortunately we have experienced back up on the sidelines. Top of the Table......Yay!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on and I'm excited by the prospect of seeing the talents of Dasilva, Williams and particularly Liam Walsh in  the coming weeks, plus the speedy Sessegnon. 

2 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

Sorry to quote myself but as pointed out by more on the ball people than me my comment is b*llocks.

Message to self look more closely at all options before posting :facepalm:

Your not the first and you certainly won't be the last, reckon at some point we have all done it I know I have, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Your not the first and you certainly won't be the last, reckon at some point we have all done it I know I have, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It's not limited only to here either. 

Some supporters of some clubs have been known to celebrate survival, on the pitch at an opponents ground, before the results of the final games of the season have been confirmed..! ?

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Some supporters of some clubs have been known to celebrate survival, on the pitch at an opponents ground, before the results of the final games of the season have been confirmed..! ?

Or celebrate winning the league in November ?

29 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Some supporters of d some clubs have been known to celebrate survival, on the pitch at an opponents ground, before the results of the final games of the season have been confirmed..! ?

How embarrassing that would be. Imagine if, after that, an unlikely set of results contrived to send that club down - or even out of the football league altogether.

21 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

How embarrassing that would be. Imagine if, after that, an unlikely set of results contrived to send that club down - or even out of the football league altogether.

I can’t see that ever happening. That club would have to be a complete shambles for anything close to that occur.

46 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

If that were ever to happen then they'd probably dress it up as being in division 5, rather than non league..! 

Archived