IGNORED

Players run up for penalty

Fatalist

I always understood that players were not allowed to stop during their run up. A slow run (Jet) is fine, but players have been taking more and more liberties. Today, Ayew for Swansea definitely came to a halt a couple of steps from the ball.

Is this actually a rule, and if so, how would it be penalised. Retake or disallowed?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Tony Thorpe was always going that, too perfection too.

Jet just used to stroll to the spot, casual as you like, coolest taker i ever saw.

I always thought there was a very smart technique to JET's penalties that he wasn't given credit for.

If you run up that slowly then by the time you're ready to strike the ball the keeper has to have committed to going one way or the other, and you can see which. If the keeper doesn't commit, then you basically just have to hit it low: he'll never get down in time.

Cool as **** to actually do it though and great to watch (provided they go in!)

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I remember John Aldridge used to do something similar years ago (didn't they put a stop to it for years because of it?)

Yep, Aldridge was an arse when on the pitch. I’m sure he gave our fans two fingers once after converting a penalty like you suggested, for Tranmere. It wasn’t as if we had been giving him stick either.

11 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep, Aldridge was an arse when on the pitch. I’m sure he gave our fans two fingers once after converting a penalty like you suggested, for Tranmere. It wasn’t as if we had been giving him stick either.

I`ve never liked him ever since he ruffled Brian Laws`s hair after he`d put through his own net in the rearranged FA Cup semi after Hillsborough.

No need for it and showed what a classless git he is.