Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Chris Martin

36 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Chris Martin has been a fantastic signing a real upgrade to Fammy has a football brain which Fam lacks

And a few more....a pity Patterson didn't have the same vision that Martin has to slip the ball across to Semenyo for a nailed on 3rd near the end.                                  Some players have it, most don't ! 

Edited by bemmyredjeff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep.....Martin has been a good signing but it’s a fact in the world of football that someone skips down the pecking order when a new signing comes in and unfortunately for Fam he’s made way for CM. Up to then Fam had no real competition at CF.

It’s now up to Fam to convince Deano that he should be starting games by impressing more in training.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, bemmyredjeff said:

And a few more....a pity Patterson didn't have the same vision that Martin has to slip the ball across to Semenyo for a nailed on 3rd near the end.                                  Some players have it, most don't ! 

Don't you mean Semmenyo? 

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'm struggling to imagine Semenyo scoring double figures in a month of Sundays, quite frankly. 

He's looked like scoring every time he's been on the pitch this season. Even against Villa they struggled to cope with him and we were otherwise by far the worse side.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He's looked like scoring every time he's been on the pitch this season. Even against Villa they struggled to cope with him and we were otherwise by far the worse side.

Exactly what we’ve been missing up front.  Doesn’t need to be quick, has positional intelligence and fantastic awareness of others.  The Derby YouTube clips pre-signing of all of his assists showed us that.

He will get his Diedhiou-dozen (that’s 13 😉) plus already has as many assists (4) as Fam managed in his best season (18/19)....and that’s not counting the one v Forest that he didn’t get the credit for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Martin has been a great signing for sure but why is it people always seem to feel the need to criticise one player in order to praise another?

Fam's done a good job for us over the last couple of seasons and, with two games a week, is still going to have an important role to play as players fatigue or pick up niggles. And he's fought his way back into the team enough times for it to be daft to write him off yet. 

Chris Martin creates so many chances in the opposition box where all I hear about Fam is about how good he is at defending corners he's a bloody striker not a defender

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Robin Wood said:

Chris Martin creates so many chances in the opposition box where all I hear about Fam is about how good he is at defending corners he's a bloody striker not a defender

I don’t give a rat’s arse about what I hear about Fam. I’ve seen him more than enough times in three years to know there is way more to his game than that.

Don’t get me wrong - Martin is a superb signing and is central to our play and there is no doubt Fam has started the season slowly but Fam deserved the player of the season award last year and there were several times when he was the one bright spot in sure team performances. 

We look a very different team this year in both style and quality. Martin currently appears a way better fit for that than Fam does but it doesn’t change the fact it is easy to praise Martin without aiming unnecessary digs at someone who has rarely let us down in three years at the club. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
14 minutes ago, bemmyredjeff said:

You seem to make a habit of righting a wrong...bit of a wasted exercise on a forum like this. I apologise for not  being a perfectionist like you.

I understand what you're saying but also I can see where the poster who corrected you is coming from. You're both alright by me so let's just let bygones be bygones eh?

I respect you for apologising though, it's quite refreshing and shows a certain level of maturity. Just for the record I think it's fairly important to spell players' names correctly as they do read this forum and might get upset or angry if they see their name misspelled. I'm not going to say it would influence their game but it certainly won't boost their morale. Genuinely I'm not picking sides here, just giving some food for thought.

Back on topic, big fan of Chris Martin. Fantastic player.

Until he played for us, I didn't appreciate how good he is.  I never really notice opposition players unless it's someone really well known like Grealish.

Derby must have really been cash strapped to only offer him a one year contract.   I think the comparison to Sheringham others have made is a good one.  His game is about technical ability, vision, strength,  and guile rather than pace so injuries permitting I think he has at least a few years at this level in him.   Perfect signing for us.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

I understand what you're saying but also I can see where the poster who corrected you is coming from. You're both alright by me so let's just let bygones be bygones eh?

I respect you for apologising though, it's quite refreshing and shows a certain level of maturity. Just for the record I think it's fairly important to spell players' names correctly as they do read this forum and might get upset or angry if they see their name misspelled. I'm not going to say it would influence their game but it certainly won't boost their morale. Genuinely I'm not picking sides here, just giving some food for thought.

Back on topic, big fan of Chris Martin. Fantastic player.

The poster who corrected him was the one in the wrong.

5 hours ago, pillred said:

No he doesn't it is Semenyo, put his name in your search engine, you owe him an apology as it's you in the wrong.

5 hours ago, pillred said:

The poster who corrected him was the one in the wrong.

@pillredI'm afraid it's you who's wrong and have had a bit of a 'whoosh' moment. I know how to spell Semenyo, thank you.

I also know that there's one T in Patterson, which was the point of the post. 

As @The dastardly redrealised where I was coming from, I know it's not the end of the world, but it seems strange that our fans don't know our player's names.

Indeed, let bygones be bygones. 

No hard feelings @bemmyredjeff

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly what we’ve been missing up front.  Doesn’t need to be quick, has positional intelligence and fantastic awareness of others.  The Derby YouTube clips pre-signing of all of his assists showed us that.

He will get his Diedhiou-dozen (that’s 13 😉) plus already has as many assists (4) as Fam managed in his best season (18/19)....and that’s not counting the one v Forest that he didn’t get the credit for.

@Son of Fred can I ask why the “confused” emoji?  Ta.

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Son of Fred can I ask why the “confused” emoji?  Ta.

Because JonDolman was talking about Semenyo, Dave ("He's looked like scoring every time he's been on the pitch this season. Even against Villa they struggled to cope with him and we were otherwise by far the worse side" - which was a reply to my comment saying I can't imagine Semenyo scoring double figure goals in a month of Sundays) whereas - correct me if I'm wrong - I think in your reply to JonDolman you're talking about Chris Martin

("Exactly what we’ve been missing up front.  Doesn’t need to be quick, has positional intelligence and fantastic awareness of others.  The Derby YouTube clips pre-signing of all of his assists showed us that. He will get his Diedhiou-dozen (that’s 13 ) plus already has as many assists (4) as Fam managed in his best season (18/19)....and that’s not counting the one v Forest that he didn’t get the credit for") 

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Because JonDolman was talking about Semenyo, Dave ("He's looked like scoring every time he's been on the pitch this season. Even against Villa they struggled to cope with him and we were otherwise by far the worse side" - which was a reply to my comment saying I can't imagine Semenyo scoring double figure goals in a month of Sundays) whereas - correct me if I'm wrong - I think in your reply to JonDolman you're talking about Chris Martin

("Exactly what we’ve been missing up front.  Doesn’t need to be quick, has positional intelligence and fantastic awareness of others.  The Derby YouTube clips pre-signing of all of his assists showed us that. He will get his Diedhiou-dozen (that’s 13 ) plus already has as many assists (4) as Fam managed in his best season (18/19)....and that’s not counting the one v Forest that he didn’t get the credit for") 

@Son of Fred ahhhh, now I see.  Thanks MM, makes perfect sense now. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻